Coastal carpet in Aviary ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will get the pics norm I'm at home at the moment but and they are at hers
So I will post them up ASAP

No! I want them now! Just joking, I`m curious, not impatient.

Hey everyone I live in maitland in the hunter valley and was wondering if this region would be fine to keep my coastal in a large Avairy ? Some info or advice if anyone's doing it would be appreciated :)

YES you can. I had a pair outside for years and she laid eggs in a pile of lawnmower clippings 5 years in a row. ( removed and incubated ) As long as there is a hide box to go in and the aviary gets lots of sun - there is no problem at all mate...... looks like every one is an expert - but have they actually tried it or done it ??????? - i say NO ......they just read it somewhere.
Pm me and i will tell you more..... shut this thread down ...... too much bad vibes from all the " experts"

And i live in Maitland are also.....

Last edited:
That sounds sweet huloosenator I would love too see your set up sounds like they are thriving

YES you can. I had a pair outside for years and she laid eggs in a pile of lawnmower clippings 5 years in a row. ( removed and incubated ) As long as there is a hide box to go in and the aviary gets lots of sun - there is no problem at all mate...... looks like every one is an expert - but have they actually tried it or done it ??????? - i say NO ......they just read it somewhere.
Pm me and i will tell you more..... shut this thread down ...... too much bad vibes from all the " experts"

And i live in Maitland are also.....

I basically agree, with some reservations. Maitland and other areas in the Hunter can get EXTREMELY hot in the summer months, and also frost-prone in winter. It is quite feasible to keep carpets outside in these conditions, but location of the aviary, and the shelter it provides for the inhabitants, is of utmost importance during weather extremes. It MUST be shaded from extreme heat during the day in summer, and have enough deep, insulated shelters to allow for overwinter conditions. The snakes must NEVER be disturbed whilst in their shelters in cold weather, but you can check them out if they come out to bask on a warm winter day.

Location of the aviary is probably the most important consideration. Shelter from extreme heat in summer (shaded from mid-morning) and as much winter sun as possible from about April. Away from cold winds in winter too.

I think they are more likely to be strongly patterned intergrades around the Hunter, "coastals" don't get much more south than Coffs. People up & down the coast refer to all these things as "diamond" or "carpet" pythons because very few of them have any idea what they are looking at. They usually just keep on using the terms their parents have used for decades before.

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
How so? Most people familiar with these Carpet forms would be very cautious about 100% anything...

J

It's the same principle regardless of whether you're housing your reptiles inside or outside.

If it's a ridiculously hot day and they're kept inside you would take measures to ensure they didn't get too hot just like you would if they were outside and vice versa for extremely cold days.

As far as I can see there are pro's and con's for both ways and as long as they are monitored there shouldn't be any major dramas :) just my 2 cents worth

The principles are actually very different.

Keeping them outside with far fewer choices than they have in the wild (as to how to shelter from extremes) is more risky than keeping them inside in controlled conditions which rarely reach extremes. The temperatures under an uninsulated tin roof on a blistering summer day will kill a snake in minutes, just as constantly cold and damp conditions will kill it more slowly if the aviary is not suitably located and well drained at any time. Many properties simply don't have the right aspect to keep these things outside - a south-facing yard constantly shaded in winter is not an appropriate place to keep snakes outside at that time of year.

Jamie

The principles are actually very different.

Keeping them outside with far fewer choices than they have in the wild (as to how to shelter from extremes) is more risky than keeping them inside in controlled conditions which rarely reach extremes. The temperatures under an uninsulated tin roof on a blistering summer day will kill a snake in minutes, just as constantly cold and damp conditions will kill it more slowly if the aviary is not suitably located and well drained at any time. Many properties simply don't have the right aspect to keep these things outside - a south-facing yard constantly shaded in winter is not an appropriate place to keep snakes outside at that time of year.

Jamie

This was exactly my point, however I didn't word it as well.

I actually have a fair idea on the setup and conditions avairys create I just wanted too see if the yearly climate could accommodate it

Hey Rohdawg, in another thread a picture of a carpet that looked pure coastal in an area that isn't known for coastals has popped up. Made me think of this thread, any luck with those pictures yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back