Colletts Snake Bite

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonno from ERD

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day guys,

Just got a phone call about some news broadcast on the radio today. Apparently a keeper has been bitten by a Colletts Snake. They are the only details I have but hopefully, whoever it is will recover quickly.

Unfortunate to hear. I hope it ends well. I also hope this doesn't get turned into another media circus.

Unfortunate to hear. I hope it ends well. I also hope this doesn't get turned into another media circus.

Agreed, I am curious however as to how the media get to know in the first place.

If the person is picked up in an ambulance, the details are said over the radio. Ambulance drivers have also been known to leak details to the media.

baxtor,

They find out several ways. Generally it is an inside job by emergency response staff. I know in Sdaji's case it was the ambulance officer who notified the media of his near death experience.

Sdaji's story was picked up over the twoway. The paras then spoke to the media. All the info was available to whom ever was monitoring the transmission. Name, address, state of the victim. Its all talked in on the radio report back to the emergency team. The media then approached the ambos and Sdaji who all agreed to talk I gather. Not very professional of them really.
Couple of weeks ago we had two bites a week apart. One was picked up by a radio station with no info on who, where and when. In fact it was a couple of days after. They would have picked it up from looking at the hospital emergency records.The second didnt even make that although the victim was in High Dependency for four days after a tiger bite.
There's generally someone monitoring the emergency services frequency.
Nasty those Collett's, not really a beginners snake.

............jonno have u been bitten by a colletts again! and dont know about it yet? hhahahah

:lol:;)

on a serious note...that would suck...hope he recovers well.

For what it's worth, I bluntly refused all contact with the media until the story was already all over the television and radio in an untrue and negative light. I agreed to talk to them in order to set things straight as much as was possible. Until I did the story was along the lines of 'a vicious snake attacked a man who is probably going to die'. I did all the interviews so it could be seen that I was alive, in good health, smiling, hadn't required antivenom, etc etc, and the only thing I was suffering from was a lack of sleep. I showed the snake as an an inoffensive little thing (although she was actually a little bit$* at the time :lol: ) and not at all scarey. If I'd had my way the media wouldn't have heard a word about it.

sorry sdaji, its probably come up millions of times b4 but i have never heard about it till now, but what exactly happend sounds like a cracker story if someone wouldnt mind a short version (mainly about the snake bite, not the media part)

zan

sdaji was trying to feed his beloved adders TURNIPS it protested and gave him a little warning.....:) ............so Jonno is the person that got tagged by the colletts OK or not in a good way? .....mmmmm not something I would like to get tagged by thats for sure...

For what it's worth, I bluntly refused all contact with the media until the story was already all over the television and radio in an untrue and negative light. .

sorry, wasn't meant to imply you being unprofeesional. My barb was intended for those whose professional capacity should prohibit them from talking to the media about their clients.

Well Jonno, another one for Ray's list. Of course he has never been bitten himself:rolleyes:.

sorry sdaji, its probably come up millions of times b4 but i have never heard about it till now, but what exactly happend sounds like a cracker story if someone wouldnt mind a short version (mainly about the snake bite, not the media part)

zan

I tried to clean about 70 baby Death Adders' enclosures in too little time. I took a tiny, tiny little bit of venom from an itsy bitsy baby (far too little to need antivenom) and was unlucky enough to have an allergic reaction - fairly nasty but nothing which a couple of shots of adrenaline couldn't quickly reverse. A few hours later and other than a lack of sleep I was as good as ever, but unfortunately it happened on a very slow news day, so the story was all over the television, newspapers and radio that day. Amusingly/strangely it was even covered in the news overseas, even in countries such as India where snake bite deaths are quite common.

The media reported the snake's name as Muffin, and apparently as Turnip. She still doesn't actually have a name, I should probably get around to giving her one. She is a reasonably nice-looking Death Adder and is progressing well.

Peter: no worries.

bad news for the guy but my partner an ambo and has had the media at a scene before they even get there, it is actually illegal for them to pass on name and contact details of a patient often they find out because they monitor the emergency radio's i also worked both for the coronor and now a hospital and we often have to have media removed when a news worthy story pops up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back