Colubrid not feeding, seasonal also?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry89

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have acquired a Common Tree Snake recently and am just wanting to ask if they are seasonal non eaters like pythons? I am new to Colubrid care and the previous owner hasn't offered specifics on how much and when he ate, simply that his activities seem good... He hasn't eaten in almost four weeks now, has constant access to feeder fish, there is sign of hunting but no devoured casualties as yet. I have offered a hopper rat also which he did not take to at all.

Husbandry: Beyond moving in and a one week check he is being left alone to settle in. Three lots of urate have been found (and removed) so far, no faecal matter, he is quite active, in an arboreal melamine enclosure, has an Arcadia UVB 6% bulb, hot spot (ceramic and heat cord used) 26c at night and 32c during the day, gradient from there.

I have a tentative vet booking in place for a general check etc, but wanted to let him settle in a little before putting him through that, I am wondering if I should consider taking him in sooner though given he isn't eating. Any advice from the knowledge bank would be appreciated, I am just worried his metabolism is faster than my pythons and want to preempt any care required, I have read they can go two months without food, but am unsure of his last actual feed date, hence the concern now. Thanks All.

Unless I’m missing some thing . if the snake not eating for 4 weeks is all the snakes doing for you to worry don’t worry about it. 4 weeks is nothing and it’s winter.
I haven’t seen my snakes since May/June let alone tried feeding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will go alright ,they are on class1 basic in most states and territorys and they have all the experience ,just ask them and they will tell you.

Ok, so the consensus is that even though his metabolism is faster than that of a python (because he is a colubrid), he will still be alright and eat when ready without losing too much condition, given the time of year. Thank you.

I don't know much about colubrids even though I do want to get a pair in the near future. Generally when anyone acquires a new animal they want to see it eat, myself included. I would guess 4 weeks isn't a worry but like you said if that pushed out too 8 weeks I personally would be starting to get concerned. I could only guess and give advice on what I would do don't take my advise as gospel as I don't have any experience with colubrids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back