Colubrids

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyNut

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wanting to make the jump from pythons to colubrids. So far I'm looking at a common tree snake, slaty grey or keelback. I was hoping one of you knowledgeable people could give me some care info on keelbacks and slaty greys. I cant find much info on keelbacks or slaty greys. Found a good amount of info on common tree snakes though but your welcome to through in any additional comments (every bit will help).

Thanks
Kind regards
CN

P.S anyone know if Northern tree snakes are in the hobby? They're on basic here in vic but I have never heard of them let alone seen them for sale, very cool snakes.

I think amazing amazon has a caresheet for all three. And yes northerns can be obtained just can be hard to find.

Amazing amazon colubrid care sheet is not very good sadly. Its ok for tree snake but not the other two, not detailed enough. Thanks for the info, I take they have same care as common tree snakes?

i too came across the amazing amazon care sheet, i think they don't go into details about slaty grey or keelbacks because its the same care as the tree snake.

I think Ben at Amazing Amazon has bred both the keel back and slate grey. Give him a call.

Keelbacks are simple to keep. Give a hot spot of 32 degrees, cool spot of 24-26 degrees, any sort of substrate you like, give a nice sized water bowl so they can swim in it they like. Feed them fish initially when they are young and then you can transfer them over to rodents once they get some size on them.
I keep mine in a 3ft fish tank with a large dry dock and then water beneath to let it swim and hunt for fish naturally. They are a great species if you want a semi aquatic display tank. Once they are settled they are quite an active species and really interesting to watch.
If you would like some more detailed care requirements for them try to pick up a copy of issue 22 March 2012 of scales and tails and it has a detailed care section on keelbacks written by Ben. For try to get a copy of A guide to Australian snakes in captivity, Elapids and Colubrids. This has an entire section about the care for each of the species you have asked about and is an excellent investment.

Cheers Cameron.

Thanks Cameron. Pretty much covered everything I needed to know. Can I still feed them fish when they are older? Been meaning to get a copy of that book for a while.

I believe you can keep feeding them fish, it's just rodents are easier to most people :)

Thanks Cameron. Pretty much covered everything I needed to know. Can I still feed them fish when they are older? Been meaning to get a copy of that book for a while.
Well I forgot to reply to this a while a go haha. You can feed them fish for their entire life if you would like, key is to give a variety and not just a single species. Personally my keelback gets a variety of different fish along with rodents to give him a good variation in his diet.

Cheers, Cameron.

Ok. I can pretty much do rodents, guppies and mollies. What fish do you give yours? And thats all good I had actually forgotten about this post haha.

the biggest problem with fish only diets is thiamine issues. By utilizing other prey types occasionally negates this.....as for the book reccommendation.....I think the author sells them signed ;)

cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back