Common Tree Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sezza

Reaction score
I thought Common Tree Snake, the yellow lower colouring contrasting the olive on top of the head and you can just make out the banding on the body. The slender tail draped over his wrist was the clincher. They really are beautiful snakes and always look so elegant.

Thanks so much for that - gorgeous snakes! Plus it's good to know I am not going crazy!!

If I was on my other laptop I'd link in a picture taken by a member here of an absolute stunner on a horse stud at the Gold Coast. I might get motivated and transfer a copy off FB to Photobucket for you.

What Snake is this?

If I was on my other laptop I'd link in a picture taken by a member here of an absolute stunner on a horse stud at the Gold Coast. I might get motivated and transfer a copy off FB to Photobucket for you.

Hehe sounds good!

This will help with your ID, like I said it's not my photo and I honestly can't remember which member took it but it is a great action shot and one of my favourite snake shots. You'll notice the head colour and the tail shape compared to your uncle's picture.

CTS_zps161dc3c9.jpg

That is a nice shot, and he certainly looks ready for action ! ;)

Thanks Blue, I tried to just point out the indicatorsd that were really clear in the pic but it was late last night and I was a bit tired and didn't think of the head shape and I didn't realise about the eye size. I think this pic that was taken by one of the members when I first joined the site is great for seeing all the identifiers.

CTS_zps161dc3c9.jpg
That's a gorgeous snake. I love the contrast and the yellow belly.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the licence rules in QLD for common tree snakes?

Thanks Blue, I tried to just point out the indicators that were really clear in the pic but it was late last night and I was a bit tired and didn't think of the head shape and I didn't realise about the eye size. I think this pic that was taken by one of the members when I first joined the site is great for seeing all the identifiers.

CTS_zps161dc3c9.jpg

I had a blue one like that crossing the rd at mine before xmas. Was a wee smaller than that guy though

Flighty might be a word for it from what I can gather about their temperament.

They are very much a looking rather than holding type of snake roobars.

I just like to annoy people and mention they are mildly venomous :D True :)

Sure, I'll bite (pun intended). Show me a single case of anybody ever having any kind of adverse reaction to a Common Tree Snake bite ...! [other than bleeding!]

Whilst it may be technically correct from a biologist's perspective, spreading this viewpount serves no purpose other than to endanger these beautiful creatures from members of the population who think it is better to be safe than sorry. All that needs to be mentioned is that they are completely harmless to humans.

:lol: a snake is a snake to anyone outside the reptile fraternity. Nobody cares whether they are venomous or not, nobody cares if its a carpet snake or a brown snake. Whilst common tree snake venom may be effective at subduing birds, frogs and lizards, no amount of non venomous chit chat will ever save too many snakes ;)

This issue of venom is an interesting one. Yes they certainly venomous, the excessive bleeding comes from anti coagulants introduced into the wound. Itching, mild pain and mild swelling can also result.

I had and then removed the Venom and bite sections in species account section of my book for Dendrelaphis, Stegonotus and Tropidonophis for this reason. They are for all intensive purposes harmless to humans. Certainly not all colubrids and natricines fit this reccomendation but the Australian species do. There is a very informative work on colubrid envenomations which goes into great detail on this subject. Interestingly there seems to be two very different schools of thought surrounding this subject within academia and for most part it comes down to differing opinions as to how define the term venomous and how this relates to a potential for human harm.

Anyway they are on the basic recreational permit in qld, they have a much higher metabolism compared to pythons and make interesting captives. They do not respond well to handling and are for the most part a flighty snake.

Cheers
scott

Hello
I had to remove one some time ago from my archery club. As it was in the target stack where the kids collect there target so yep had to be moved. At that time I had absolutely no idea what it was. So with extreme caution I manage to crab its head but what I could get from this experience is that they are truly flighty but had no aggression shown. No doubt a magnificent looking snake. I have photos if anyone would like to see.
Will do my research as I am considering adding one to my collections before I get elapids later on.
Cheers Jacob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back