Communal Snakes.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MissSnake

Not so new Member
Reaction score
We all know that most snakes dont do well with other snakes.
But I was wondering if there are any snakes that are often found in groups in the wild.

Thanks

The only one that jumps into mind is the Garter Snake. i can't think of any Australian snakes that do it though.

Certain species of rattlesnake will congregate during the winter hibernation but again I can't think of any Australian snakes that are communal.

Although black snakes are not usually social creatures, gravid females tend to gather in small groups midsummer, sometimes these groups consist of only two snakes, but more often three to six animals are involved. Occasionally a non pregnant female joins in. they share a common night time retreat and emerge and bask together.

of our pythons in oz the diamond have been known to be found in groups at mateing time he he

We all know that most snakes dont do well with other snakes.
But I was wondering if there are any snakes that are often found in groups in the wild.

Thanks

I take issue with this statement. It is probably not common practice to keep snakes communally but there are many that can and do thrive in colonies in captivity.

As said, when the red-sided Garter snakes come out of brumation,tens to hundreds of them congregate. All waiting for a shot at Reproduction!

I think maybe Viper berus in the UK communally brumate.

From what I've heard wheatbelt stimmies could be found in quiet large groups during winter back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back