Compact (coiled) , T5 , T8 Or Mvb

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

Banned
Reaction score
Keep reading comments on other boards (overseas) where people are saying NEVER use compact (coiled) UV sources as they are bad for bearded dragons and can cause conjunctivitis and other health issues, the resident "experts" on these boards tell Noobs to get rid of their compact UVB sources even if they are new and rated at 10%UVB and to replace them with T5 or T8 tubes rated at about 10%UVB.

I've been using 26W UVB200s for 4 years for my beardies and have seen no ill health effects and no issues with their eyes and all my beardies have thrived and I yet to see a case of MBD. My limited experience is that if you are using a GOOD QUALITY BRAND of compact UVB , the beardies can't get closer than 6 inches from the compact , and if you replace the lights every 6 months all will be good.

Sure , T8 and T5 are better in that they distribute UVA and UVB over more of the tank, rather than just a focused area like with a compact (or a MVB also). But setting up a T5 or T8 UVB tube is pretty pricey in comparison to compact UVB coils or an MVB.

I suspect those advocating getting rid of coiled UVB lights might be painting all coils with the same brush even if the problems are restricted to cheap chinese clones (often sold as shop brands) of the more expensive high quality brands or maybe are involved in selling T8 and T5 UV tubes and luminares commercially to the hobby perhaps and intent on creating more sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back