Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

repti

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've always had a fascination with reptiles & amphibians, I went from my first pair of toads at the age of 10, to keeping geckos for afew years and now I have cut down to just one bearded dragon (who is my pride and joy!)

My partner has been very good to me, being patient whilst I trawl around reptile stores getting excited over the colours of their animals! Now he seems to have caught the reptile bug. His birthday isn't untill July, which although it seems ages away - Is just far enough away for me to do some serious research into what I can get him.

I have been thinking about this for awhile, as I'm not normally one to condone giving pets as gifts - However, I know he is very keen to get a snake, and a his own license. Every time he see's me doing something to Frankie's tank (the B.D) he asks questions, then he'll go and get a book and read some stuff about keeping reptiles etc.

I'm trying to put him off the scent by saying we can't afford it and that snakes cost a fortune etc etc. The truth is, we can afford a reasonably priced snake (<$250) and to run a basic setup (something with a heat mat/cord, UVB and a thermostat) and we can defiantly afford to feed him/her rodents as needed.

Basically, the snake I choose needs to be patient and calm, able to be handled and most importantly it needs to grow to no more than 4ft I would say. If anyone could give me some constructive advice on where I should start, I would really appreciate it. :)

Just to add afew points

- I have handled afew snakes that belong to friends so I am confident on how to hold them and on letting them get used to my scent, being calm and patient also.

- We are expecting a baby boy in May so it would be nice to have another pet that is long lasting - To grow with our child.

- I was thinking that a Children's Python or perhaps a Stimsons ( I know he likes the look of both and I've heard they are good to start )

Ok, sorry about the long winded essay - just want to get as much info as possible and let you guys now that I have been thinking on this for a while.

Soph.

Last edited:
There is seriously 100's and 100's of thread on this topic , best to search for them and read a few ...

But if you cant be bothered to search , get the one you like the look of , can house and feed , nealry all snakes make good firsts.
Childreni , spotteds, stimmis , MD's , Bredli , Womas are a few good choices .

Ok thanks, I'll have a browse. Just wanted to see what the general consensus was, Seems to be anything Anatersia :)

It sounds like your going the right way about it, doing lots of research and finding all that you need to know. That's very good, great work.

Number 1 thing - DO NOT buy from a pet store, they will charge you $250-$400 for a Children's or Stimson's, when you can find a reputable breeder with quality and stunning animals from $80-$250. Price depending on what colour and patterning you go for.

The pet shops will tell you that you need this, that, everything thats on their shelf. Which most of it you do, correct. But the repti-shed gels and hand gels, enclosure cleaners are all a waste of money. For a hand sanitiser and enclosure cleaner; F10 veterinary grade disinfectant which is the best possible product. A 500ml bottle may be $50 or there abouts, but it last 6-12months if used correctly. The bottle shows the water:F10 ratio. But i believe its 5-10mls for every 500mls of water.

Their light bulbs are $20 in most cases, for the inferred bulbs. Bunnings and other hardware stores have spot globes for $3, and thats all that you need for an enclosure. For an enclosure for a Antaresia (Children's, Stimsons, Spotteds and pygmy pythons), atleast a 3ft enclosure, with a 40-60w bulb on a thermostat.

Have a look on this website; The Herp Shop - Australia
Enclosures can be found cheap on here. Many people here are willing to build them for other's, but everyday theres something new in the for sale section.

If you can find a breeder that sells frozen rats in your area, you'll save a lot that way. Pet shops charge a million, though we can't blame them, with their overheads and all that they need to pay for. I couldn't get rats quick enough, so i bit the bullet and paid $23.50 for 8 pinkie rats, when i usually pay $10 for 20 or so pinkies.

Bottom line is, if you can find a few breeders, you will save a bit of cash, you'll get a lot more help and advice, and 10/10 quality animals.

A lot of hatchlings are ready now, and more will come along soon, but if your not wanting to get anything till July, its plenty of time for research, as you said. In that time, it'll also ensure robust and great feeding animals.

I hope you find what your looking for.

Not all of us at reptile shops try and sell useless stuff people don't need. I for one always tell people how to make a click clack and advise purchasing spots from Bunnings and using things like toilet rolls for hides etc. A lot of people, myself included, do however, want to buy some sort of nice hide for the click clack, their choice, I never push that angle. At the end of the day I have the animals welfare first and foremost in my mind and I find it a little insulting that you are tarring all of us to the same brush. We only recommend F10 and we have small bottles for those who don't want to outlay $50 for a large one, and we don't push all sorts of other products so stop making all of us out to be the same. I am more than happy to spend time with people talking about husbandry requirements etc even if they don't buy anything and anyone who has come in and talked to me that is a member here will tell you the same. The only thing I ever recommend is the small herp books produced here in Australia as IMO they are excellent little books for people starting out and of course the two bibles of lizard and snake keeping if they want something more involved. Our rats and mice are more than other places but quite cheap for a reptile shop and no where near $23.50 for 8 pinkies.

Just realized i spelled snake wrong in the title... Don't I feel smart!

Number 1 thing - DO NOT buy from a pet store, they will charge you $250-$400 for a Children's or Stimson's, when you can find a reputable breeder with quality and stunning animals from $80-$250. Price depending on what colour and patterning you go for. .

Thanks so much, That's great info. I don't ever buy pets from pet stores, only feeder foods like crickets etc. but I will defiantly look into a local breeder for both the animal and the rodents. Ideally I'd like to get hold of someone who is willing to hold onto the animal untill closer to the time, so I can go an have a look at it and talk with them about it, see it's character etc.

Yes, I have a bottle of FCS10 from cleaning out the gecko's & other pets. It's great to have somewhere like this, Where someone like me with very little snake experience can come and ask questions without being slated! Gotta love the hospitality on this forum.

Real thumbs up to all the great info - Thanks guys :)

hehehehe where i don't see a miss spelling ? *grinz*

haha - Thanks :)

I started a year ago tho my mate in the uk had kept snakes for over 20 yrs and he has given me great advise even when i moved house in winter and it took me 10 months to get my Stimmie back settled and feeding again...Stimmies r great first time snakes...very placid and great for the kids to handle ...my male WheatBelt is a metre now and in his 3rd yr and his attitude has never changed...i also since have purchased a Bredli and a Jungle and both of these r fantastic handling snakes also.....i will say that tho u say " 4 ft" u may regret that and wished u had got one of the fantastic carpet pythons available and i would highly recomend the Centralian "Bredli" as a first snake..... dont listen to to much garbage on a forum as u need to get advice from the breeders or read up for yourself...all my snakes have heater mat over a hide at 33 Deg and i dont turn any lamps on in the cool end during summer months...but in winter i have lamps on at night just to keep the vivs from chilling to much....the snakes then wander at there will and the mat allows them to get there required temp for digestion if required.....i have never had any health probs what so ever and all snakes r feeding fine....hope this helps in getting u started

DEFINATELY get a stimmie, i love mine and has been a dream first snake...always sheds great, always eats, and i can have her out for hours sometimes she just sits on my stomach and curls up while i watch tv, they love exploring and mine has never bitten me.. good luck with your decision.

i went straight to raising and breeding diamonds and jungles before id ever had a snake so you should be right with anything. Any macs, spotteds stimis ect, womas are great first snake, i have womas and spotteds to and no snake is any harder to look after than the others. The only problem i usually have is the feeding, spotteds tend to be the best but once you get any of them going there usually alright

Tanami woma. Won't get much over 4', usually docile, hardy, great feeders, pretty..and don't spend all day hiding like antaresia..

Tanami woma. Won't get much over 4', usually docile, hardy, great feeders, pretty..and don't spend all day hiding like antaresia..

And you're not bias at all are you??? :lol:

Tanami are gorgeous and get to be a very solid/thick set snake. You do have to watch fatty liver disease with them as by nature they are reptile eaters... but beautifully natured. My bias is for a spotted python because my yearling is great. He is out most of the night while I sit up and watch telly but yes he tends to hide more than my mates woma. Stimi and childrens are very similar or you could look at a pygmy.

i love carpets :D id get a carpet that has a good temperment

Won't exactly meet the 4ft prerequisite though Liam. :D

Good luck with your choice will put my oppinion in after i get my bredli and see it's temperament ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back