Concerned About Ackie Eating Sand/substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macras

Reaction score
Hi all,
Im concerned about the amount of sand my ackie is eating along with his food. I have tried several methods of feeding him and a variety of food (haven't gone to the extent of removing him from the enclosure for feeding yet, that would be the nest step).
It doesn't seem to matter what or how I feed him, he seems to manage to cover everything with a good layer of sand before swallowing it. He even seems to spit things out to roll them around in the sand and coat them some more before eating!.

Ive never had any problems with my other monitors (striped tails) but im worried this is going to end up a problem.

He gets a variety of food, pinkies, crickets and roo/turkey mince (with calcium and multivit mixed in) He eats all of them with no problem, but does manage to cover all with sand before swallowing it. Substrate is coarse white sand that came with him and the enclosure when I purchased him recently.

Hes about 12 months old, and not quite ready to be handled yet, I've had him for about 4 weeks, so still settling in and getting used to me.

Suggestions or thoughts please?

Well removing the sand all together is always an option, you can replace the sand with a soil/sand mix. I believe its a soil based 60-40 mix. Also, putting down a plate and putting the food on that could be an option, or putting it in a bowl if possible.

As long as the sand is fine sand like washed river sand or playsand or even the overpriced stuff from reptile shops it shouldn't be a problem. All of our monitors including our ackie drag their food through the sand. Our flavis toss their rats or chicken necks around before eating.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You could set up a designated feeding area with a large tile/plate/sacrificial rock, and only place the food items dead centre of that. Might minimise the amount of sand that it rolls food in.

OK, things seem to be improving a little.

IDK if he worked out himself the amount of sand he was eating was bad, but he he's started being a bit smarter about eating etiquette. At least now if he's trying to eat a cricket for example and needs to rub/push against something to get it down, he uses the top of his hide or his basking branch rather than the sand.

I've also changed my method a little.

Now, if im feeding mince or crickets with tongs, I make sure I hold onto the food, and even make him fight for it a bit before I let it go. This seems to help as he has it more in his mouth before I let it go.

Also, now he has settled a little and Im sure he isn't going to starve, I only feed him if he is actually hungry, if he hesitates or doesn't seem interested, ill try an hour later, but of still not interested he misses out.

Probably worrying for nothing I know, but id rather ask than cause him discomfort. I am still worried, so ill keep trying different methods and post the results.

Now for the next problem/question.

OK, next problem.

My Ackie seems to have a sneeze!

Not often, or continuous, more often after feeding, but I have never seen monitors sneeze like this regularly. He seems happy and healthy otherwise, im just worried. Its quite distinct and unmistakable. If I feed and interact with him for an hour it may happen 4-5 times, or maybe only once.

There's no reptile vet anywhere nearby unfortunately, so a trip to the vet is over 2 hours+, which I don't mind, but I don't want to stress him if its not needed.

What temp is his basking spot, the ambient temp and the cooler end? How much moisture is in the tank? Is his sand dry or damp?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sorry for the delay in reply.

Checked the basking spot with a thermometer, was a little low at around 38 deg, so I lowered the light a bit. May change the 80w basking light to the next one up in future. He doesn't usually sit directly under it, so may have been enough, but probably lower than it should have been. Cool end of the enclosure is around 26-28ish, the weather hasn't really started warming up here yet, so expect that to go up a bit. He also has a heat rock inside one of his hides near the basking area for night time warmth. There is a fairly large water bowl (200mm? ) down the cold end, I keep it about half full, but have never seen him use it or go in it despite shedding atm. Im used to my stripe tail monitors not getting much water at all, so not really surprised. Sand is dry.

Spent a fair bit of time with him the last couple of days while on holiday, only noticed him do it a couple of times, today after feeding once. He does seem happy and active in all other ways.

Even had some success as he came and sat on my arm for 10 minutes without any encouragement. He's also starting to come to me when I open the enclosure rather than running and hiding. Still quite skittish, but early days and im hopeful that well get on well enough.

Cheers

PS, feeding is going much better, just a teething problem getting used to each other I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back