Constipated?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why carpets get constipated? A few weeks ago my carpet ate a medium sized hopper mouse, and did not crap and then showed no interest in feeding. I soaked her a couple times in warm water and nothing, so just now I soaked her and then helped push the crap out, I started it and the rest came out, had to be aabout a 4 inch turd, farly nasty. Any ideas? Not really looking forward to helping a full grown snake take a crap. :)
Thanks again
Moses

Hi Moses

from what I understand about the body (not much in fact) the intestines or bowel or both extract a certain amount of fluid from the products that pass through. If there is a delay in the passing time then they take more fluid and leave a much drier waste product. In the case of your little scaley friend was this waste very dry. If not it may not have been constipated just slow in digesting.

This is only based on my limited knowledge (or hearsay) of the body. I'd be interested to know what others think.

G 8)

:p I was wondering if winter coming has anything to do with it.Even thou i use thermos some still dont feed well over winter,does anyone think that snakes can tell winter is comen regardless of there conditions?What sort of heating do you use moses?

Here in Canada it is now spring, and as for heating, Iuse an undertank heat pad, an overhead hundred watt heat bulb, and a 60 watt blue night light. She is growing, and is still calm and great to handle. Thanks
Moses

Just think of her as a really big tube of toothpaste... :lol: Remembering of course not to put it on your teeth.
Nah, what Graham said, dehydration is the most common cause of constipation. Also shedding can cause a delay. It shouldn't continue, if it does, see a vet (or if you don't have a herp vet, see your mate 'the snake man')
PS. yeah popp, I reckon a lot of snakes do know when it's winter, I have a few friends who have snakes that don't feed through winter no matter what they do.

Yeah Poppster, I reckon snakes know what time of year it is regardless of the temperature we artificially set for them. My Coastals are voracious eaters but the female has refused two out of the last three feeds and my male is starting to show less interest in feeding. My female Bredl refused her last but one feed but took her rat like a goos girl last night. All these snakes will usually eat you too if you don't drop the rat quick enough :)

I dont feed during winter regardless of breeding intentions.They dont lose much weight as it is only 2 months or so I stop feeding and in that time I lower temps so there metabalism isnt at its peak rate anyhow.They quickly gain there weight back once warmed up and back on the food.

PS I dont cool or stop feed untill there 2nd year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back