Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dpedwards08

Not so new Member
Reaction score
There has to be a way to have reptiles legally exported from Australia because I know of a person here in the United States that has had reptiles exported from Australia and then imported into the United States within the last several years. I've seen pictures and video footage of at least one of his Inland Taipans, Coastal Taipans, and Tiger Snakes if he has more than what was featured in pictures and videos.

Why don't the Australian reptile keepers/breeders come together to make a change in the legislation governing the exportation of Australian reptiles? All they would need to do is get together as a group and meet with the Australian Government Department of Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts and explain to them that there would be a tremendous profit to be earned by exporting captive bred and born reptiles all over the world. The United States would jump all over that opportunity and probably spend thousands if not millions of dollars on Australian reptiles. Reptile breeders could make a full time living by setting up reptile breeding and exporting facilities that specialize in a few different species of their specialization and over time there would be a large number of captive breeding operations that all bred different things all over Australia. That would make it fair to everybody with no monopoly since every one is breeding different species of their choice. Get together a portfolioto to present to the Department of Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts and really come up with good reasons as to why it would be beneficial and positive to do this.

I dissagree with what you are saying. however we are so fair behind that, in NSW we aren't even officially allowed to breed reptiles commerically.

This has been discussed at length before.
Most appear to be of the view that such changes in legislation would lead to an increase in reptiles being removed from the environment, washed through our current licensing systems, then exported via the legal channels.
I am still on the fence with this one.....

Unless those snakes were legally obtained via zoos, animal parks etc & all the red tape & beaurocracy that goes with it, then they have been illegally smuggled out of Australia.

I believe the black market animal trade is the 3rd biggest illegal trade globally behind drugs & weapons (correct me if I'm wrong).

Some Snakes have been legally exported but from what I believe there has been strict conditions against breeding/sale. I don't really see a need to legalize it in a lot of cases you guys are ahead of us in captive keeping of our own reptiles anyway.

Some Snakes have been legally exported but from what I believe there has been strict conditions against breeding/sale. I don't really see a need to legalize it in a lot of cases you guys are ahead of us in captive keeping of our own reptiles anyway.

They haven't been exported via private means legally.

No, I didn't say they had, nor did the OP say that the person he knows of was a private collector.

IMO why not? why can't we export and import? they do it for the bird trade and the fish trade?
Eventually the reptile trade will demand recognition from the Australian government and things will change.

IMO why not? why can't we export and import? they do it for the bird trade and the fish trade?
Eventually the reptile trade will demand recognition from the Australian government and things will change.

You know I hate to say it D3, but for once you make a bit of sense :p

That we allow exotics and diseases into the country with reptiles, importation of reptiles will NEVER happen. Export may have a slight chance but I think Kevin Rudd would be prime minister again before it does.

Alot of our reptiles are already in danger from poaching and habitat loss, are we going to add one more death sentence due to further illegal poaching and legal exporting.

Nope, I'll happily say never on this one.

I think it would be taking a step backwards in customs and quarantine.

Nope, I'll happily say never on this one.

Yeah me too.It will NEVER happen.The OP should of started with "Once upon a time" and ended with "And they all lived happily ever after".

As far as I know escaped non native reptiles haven't had a recorded effect on any ecosystems in Australia, whilst fish and birds have.

It will never happen

As far as I know escaped non native reptiles haven't had a recorded effect on any ecosystems in Australia, whilst fish and birds have.

It will never happen

Because we've been lucky, look at chameleons in florida, burms in the evaglades, red eared sliders in most parts of the world. If we start allowing these animals in the same thing will happen.

AHG's have caused some damage but luckily they tend to be around human dwellings. There are breeding populations of corns around sydney, but I don't think any study has been done to prove if they have any lasting damage.

Apart from the cane toad of course

and AHG, Red Ear Sliders.

yeah sorry that was a response to D3pro's question, why not?

I was using it as a reason not to allow importation.
I also don't think there is any neccessity for legalizingt export.

ahh yes the cane toad

Ahhh. The old we can have exoitic birds and fish arugement...
I'd much rather ban exoitic fish and birds.
That would be a step in the right direction in my view.

Ahhh. The old we can have exoitic birds and fish arugement...
I'd much rather ban exoitic fish and birds.
That would be a step in the right direction in my view.

They review species of risk every 6 months, there has been another doz fish added to the noxious list, however at $350 Millioin a year in trade (aquarium fish), that wont happen. Plus the jobs that would be lost which would snow ball that amount of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back