Convincing Parents to let me have pet snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Give your parents an ultimatum... You get a snake or start doing drugs, get tattoos and piercings. LOL My parents didn't ever care what pets I had, as long as I didn't wind up with tattoos and smoking.
This isn't good advice either, well not the ultimatum bit anyway.
You could try to have a conversation about the things you want to do in regard to reptiles and about these things preventing you from being influenced by the seedier side of life ie. drugs, partying etc.

more so just the fact that i'll most likely be waiting over 6 years after wanting one for over 6 years already and the fact that it is one of my dream animals that sucks, and the fact that i'll be waiting a while for what i will be getting, some sort of monitor because the ones i'll be able to get still cost quite a bit, no way to win when you're in my situation. :p

no way to win when you're in my situation. :p

1st world problems mate

Edit: just saw your both very young so your attitudes are reasonable for your age. Life could be a lot worse. Here i am 21 and sounding like an old fart already
[doublepost=1514596818,1514596359][/doublepost]Had a thought. Has your parents ever actual held/seen snakes in captivity or are the opinions based off tv shows etc?

I didnt fall in love with snakes until i first held one, the local wildlife sunctuary actually do little presentations at my work so ive been lucky to have a few opportunities to handle very tame and very large carpets. The big boy named cuddles was over 3m but somehow not very intimidating.

Maybe just try get them to a sanctuary where you can see them up close and maybe handle? They feel nothing like what most people expect

I don't recommend doing the above.
@Bl69aze, this is not good advice. The guy could end up homeless at worst or with a snake that is homeless at best.
You think they’d kick him out??!

Why do the parents have to have anything to do with it if it’s his own money.

It’s not fair on him because his dads scared of a harmless snake. I can understand if he wanted to get a venomous and his dad refused it.
Hopefully his dad wears gloves while picking the weeds so his hands don’t get dirty.

Should do what you want to do. Find the reason of not being allowed to get one, if it is because your dad is scared tell him to man up.

i know it could be worse, but that's like saying people shouldn't view the quick death of someone as bad because others have been tortured to death. yes, they've seen snakes in captivity, they just hold the redneck attitude to snakes.

Oh to feel young and entitled to the world owing me a living again...

I would not recommend either providing the ultimatum or bringing a snake into your parents house unless you can live with any and ALL consequences... Unfortunately these days people think that they can get away with anything and the other person being offended is that persons fault rather than the consequences of their actions.. Remember, your parents taught you to use a spoon...

My suggestion is to wait until you are in a situation where you can have a snake in your own space..

and yes, if i had children i'd let them have animals aslong as 1.they could pay for it 2. it wasn't venomous/dangerously aggrsive etc, taking the rights of owning an animal from people isn't a good thing if they are well versed on it.

It’s not fair on him because his dads scared of a harmless snake. I can understand if he wanted to get a venomous and his dad refused it.
Hopefully his dad wears gloves while picking the weeds so his hands don’t get dirty.

Should do what you want to do. Find the reason of not being allowed to get one, if it is because your dad is scared tell him to man up.
Yes it is possible.
It is their choice because it is their house.

Well when I first started to get interested in owning a snake, I showed my dad all their care requirements and disproved all of their common misconceptions and he was fine with them. He even grew up in a family who hate snakes. In my opinion some people are just not open to listen to the facts because they have such strong feelings towards them. And for the record I was 12 (and still am :p ) but I had done HEAPS of research, which I know you have too. BTW GhoulGecko isn't asking for anything venomous, just a small python, but to his parents a snake is bad and wants to kill you no exceptions. sorry I should probably let you tell them this Ghoul lol

and yes, if i had children i'd let them have animals aslong as 1.they could pay for it 2. it wasn't venomous/dangerously aggrsive etc, taking the rights of owning an animal from people isn't a good thing if they are well versed on it.
Owning an animal is not a right, it is a privilege. A privilege that his parents can choose to provide for him or her or choose not to. It isn't like owning an animal gives you experience to succeed in life and without it you will be a failure.

i realise the mistake in my comment, sorry. also,
[doublepost=1514598027,1514597868][/doublepost]my parents knows that all i want is even just a pygmy python or keelback, that they aren't venomous, that i'll buy everything, that i'll keep maintanance up, that they won't have to see it, i have disproven over 20 common misconceptions, i have showed them i have a passion for them, have showed how much research i have done, etc. no budging, and therefor i'll have to wait for a while..as ina long while, and then hopefully move into my own house and be able to own one.

Owning an animal is not a right, it is a privilege. A privilege that his parents can choose to provide for him or her or choose not to. It isn't like owning an animal gives you experience to succeed in life and without it you will be a failure.
Owning an animal or multiple can give you plenty of experience to succeed, if you want to go down the animal care industry line of work. Have to start somewhere

I realize the frustration of being young and not being allowed the things you want or think you deserve,when I was young my parents wouldn't let me have a motorbike even though my father had been riding for years.I had to move out to buy 1.You will be old enough one day,just don't wish your life away; Now I am 60 and wish I was young again !

Owning an animal or multiple can give you plenty of experience to succeed, if you want to go down the animal care industry line of work. Have to start somewhere
Yes it can help with a career in animals but you can do it without owning animals. I don't know about helping you to succeed though, there are a lot more important factors in succeeding than owning animals.

Last edited:

Can you please do me a favour and re-read this when you’re a parent?

i'll never wish i was young again, and if so very very young. mostly because i can do nothing i really want more than maybe 3 times a year, aka herping, travelling(barely go out of state every 3 years even) etc. just realised i sound like an entitles ****, oh well.

I don't know how old you are or the reasons why your parents are not keen on the idea - as others have suggested it may be useful to you to discuss this with them and go from there. Don't argue initially, just discuss openly and try to understand their point of view.

I agreed for my daughter to have a lizard and 2 years later a snake. She is only 10. I can tell you about the things that went on to convince me that it is reasonable for her to have these pets, as a parent.

1) Commitment.
If we think it's a phase, or you are a kid that develops different interests regularly the concern is that it will be an interesting novelty at first and then the phase will pass. Borrow and read lots of books about reptiles and care in captivity, make a list of what you need to know about equipment set up and ongoing care, handling etc. But better still if it is something you have shown commitment to over time. Join the local herp society, attend meetings and contribute and even volunteer for stuff if you can. (For my daughter I'm talking years here)

2) Responsibility.
We need to be confident you can care for another being for its life. Say you do your regular chores that you're supposed to, are fairly reliable in the household, and have an understanding of what animals need and the interest to deliver. ie You will prepare the food, change the water bowl, clean out the enclosure, etc without us nagging or having to do it ourselves because you don't want to anymore.

3) It's our problem.
Ultimately, responsibility (and cost) for the animal falls back to us as the adults. So in the end, once you move out/go overseas/go to uni/lose interest or go do something else it's possible (likely) we will end up with it for 30 years. So we need to be ok with that possibility and comfortable with the animal and set up. Also it goes in our house, it needs equipment, it needs to be set up somewhere and it may need holiday care or whatever. If they just don't like it or aren't prepared to deal with this there's probably not much that can be done to change their minds unless the first 2 points are so convincing that it outweighs this one, and even peaks their interest enough to bring them around to the beauty of reptiles.

These are my thoughts as a parent, not sure if it helps you, but decided to add as it might give some ideas as to parents make these types of decisions - no, it's (usually) not just because we are mean dream squashers!

ADDED: And definitely don't do anything that would show disrespect, immaturity or get your parents offside, like get it anyway or hide it. Best thing for the snake is to have parents on board as you will probably need their support and resources for SOMETHING at some point. Acting like a turd will definitely not help you and will only show you aren't mature enough to have a snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back