Convincing Parents to let me have pet snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some good (and not so good) suggestions above. Buy or borrow a book on keeping snakes, and leave it lying around so your parents see it. When they ask, you tell them that while you respect their wishes about not getting a snake, you will get a snake one day, and you want to learn everything you can beforehand.
There are two excellent books: A Guide to Australian Pythons in Captivity, by Adam Elliott, and Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons, by Mike Swan.
Even if they don't change their minds, you will be learning how to care for your eventual python properly. And hang around on here, there's plenty to learn as well.

Too many "bubble-wrap parents" today. Kids nowadays can't have or do anything unless it's playing with an iPad or Xbox in front of the tv. People tend to parent how they were parented. I've encountered parents my own age who think the idea of having a dog is absolutely absurd. I feel sorry for those children. Kids as old as mine who've never been fishing or camping or who've never ridden a bike. As The generations progress, those people will only get worse. My kids are being brought up just as I was. Exposed to the natural world and encouraged to explore the wonders that it offers. Both of my kids currently 7 & 9 have pet dogs, snakes, turtles, frogs, budgies, spiders, scorpions, fish, yabbies and mice. So what if it becomes our responsibility, our children are our responsibility and steering them or encouraging them to take a valid interest in the natural world is probably the best thing you could do as a parent.
Resized_20171014_102356_4039.jpeg Resized_20170910_111740.jpeg

Last edited:
@Aussiepride83 is it a little weird keeping pet mice and pet snakes? :p
No, my kids understand the circle of life (Lion King) lol the mice, (a percentage of them wind up as snake food) and the baby yabbies become turtle food. They love watching David Attenborogh documentaries which I'm thankful for given the garbage on tv today.

i've actually heard vegans say it's cruel to feed snakes mice
We've had vegans on AFT wanting to know why their ELN's are sick and dying... turns out they had never offered it whole live fish, yabbies or anything because they themselves were vegan.

Yes... there's all kinds of stupid.

It is worth considering that the parents may actually have a genuine phobia of snakes. There is a significant difference between being afraid of something and having a phobia of it. Those who have never experienced this usually cannot understand the extreme fear generated by a phobia. The degree of terror experienced is not rational, but it is real. I have a sister who is an animal person and has been all her life. She is comfortable with reptiles and handled my blueys, eastern bearded dragons, carpets etc. when still a little tacker. However, if a moth flies into the room, she immediately goes hysterical. She can live with spiders camped in her house but she has a phobia about moths. Her reaction to such an innocuous animal does not make sense at all. Such is the nature of phobias. Unfortunately genuine phobias are not easily changed

Consideration for others, developing an ethic of being hard-working and contributing your share or more, along with tolerance and patience, are more valuable attributes to develop for getting on the world of work, regardless of what work, than casual home experience.

Volunteering at a zoo or a nature reserve or similar is a good way to have exposure to reptiles and learn about keeping at the same time. Joining a herpetological group and getting to know other keepers, or even a naturalists’ group, is another avenue to get regular involvement with these animals.

In my experience with youths, where someone would say “I want…” and complain that it was not forthcoming, the first question I would ask is “Well what have you done and what do you continue to do to deserve it? Do you really think you have earned it?”. I would also say to parents that every child needs a hobby - involvement in something that they can be passionate about and has positive outcomes for them.

It may be that you cannot do everything you want to now, but do what you can and continue to interact with others who share your passion. Continue to do other things that help maintain that passion. Without being in your parents’ faces about it, just ensure that they are aware of what you do on an on-going basis, so they at least know for certain this not just a passing fad. If there is any give in their attitudes, that’s the way to bring it out – with patience and persistence. In other words, don’t continue to tell them, actually show them.

Last edited:
My advice would be to follow the advice of Pinefamily. In addition to the books they have suggested don't just go for books on keeping reptiles also try and broaden your knowledge & get your hands on Rick Shine's "Australian Snakes, A Natural History", "Pythons of Australia, A Natural History" by Geordie Torr, any field guides on Australian snakes such as those published by Steve Wilson & Gerry Swan. Anything by Chris Mattison.

Asking for things like this for birthday presents etc will show your parents that you have a genuine interest in reptiles.

As well as he above if your old enough consider what Mike (Bluetongue1) has suggested and ask to be allowed to volunteer at a wildlife park. Either way ask to join a herp society and get your parents to attend meetings with you. It's an excellent way to let your parents see the people involved in world of reptiles first hand and break down any barriers. Even if you can't attend meetings regularly, as a member you'd be eligible to go on field trips and receive newsletters and periodicals.

I was lucky as a kid to have parents that supported anything that interested me and I've continued along the same lines with my kids. Seems the effort was well worth while.

The little girl in this photo is my daughter at 3 years old when my wife and I owned and operated a live reptile display. She's now 21 and has a menagerie of her own which includes birds, rats, mice, dog, pythons, beardeds, bluetongues, knob tailed geckos & frogs.
12957382_10154104223953252_318452665_n.jpg

My son at 7 years old with his Olive Python (that is now touching 4 metres).
S1030951.JPG
Both the kids with the Olive
S1030952.JPG
My boy last year at 15 helping to relocate a couple of Red Bellied Blacks and a large carpet. He's got a couple of his own snakes these days but loves to come out with me when we do night spotting around here and assists with cleaning enclosures which includes vens. Also used to come with me to remove troublesome Browns in Inverell since 10 years old.
DSCN0918.JPG

It is difficult as a parent when children want stuff as already said they go thru fads then find something else and don’t bother with the thing you having been nagging for ages about (not saying this is you)
I was lucky I had my first snake for my 13th birthday which my (English parents let me have ) I had her for 17yrs ,she had to stay at me mums as my wife didn’t like snakes but went and looked after it there and when my lad asked for his 13th birthday I let him , my new wife doesn’t like snakes but has let him have it in his room at mine and my snakes are also in his room which she never goes in , when we have them out she does look a bit funny at me , and when one of my little ones escaped and came out of her work bag that night after she had been at work all , she did tell me off , but seems like she may have taken it to work lol, might of been worse if it slithered out on the staff room table, was only a six inch corn snake tho, but she doesn’t mind them being in then house and hers and my grandkids love them , now if he had asked for a spider that would of been different,lol luckily both of us don’t like them

phobias are something not easily overcome I’m afraid

As bluetongue just said it may be worth volunteering at a zoo or rescue centre, that way you gain plenty of experience and get your snake fix at the same time till either your parents come round or you get your own place

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone who’s just done 2years of volunteering at 2 extremely popular places in nsw for reptile teams, I can safely confirm that it is one of the best options for anyone, even better than getting your own, as you get to work with exotics and native herpetofauna.

When I was a kid, all I wanted was a snake but my mom hated/feared snakes, worms, things without legs
But I could have lizard and turtles and spiders so I kept that till I was older and moved on my own, then I had a world of snakes and now I'm going on 50 and only keep lizard and spiders again :) I hope you can work something out but don't keep a snake without permission it will end bad for you and the snake.
PS.
My kids had all kind of reptiles of their own choice(frogs snakes lizards) and they are now 19 and 21 and have no interest in reptiles anymore

Hi everyone.
Thank you so much for your ideas and advice. I just wanted to put out that actually already have done a lot of them and things still haven’t worked.

For example,
I have already tried buying books looking into snakes, constantly looking them up online and even do presentations on them.
Once I even did a stand up act about how it would impact our family buy getting a snake by they still weren’t convinced.

I would also like to say I’m definitely not a fad because I have
Done multiple chores, activities and vocal arguments to convince them.

Another argument I saw was to go volunteer for a zoo keeper for a day. I actually have done this and told my parents all about the amazing snakes and how no one was afraid of them. But they still weren’t convinced.

Sometimes I think my dad has a phobia of snakes but when I call him out on it he just denis me and says he doesn’t. But when I ask why he doesn’t say anything.

But thanks for all the advice guys!
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back