Cool a shedding snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

africancichlidau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
My male Coastal was gonna get his cooling to start today but when I went to turn the heat down he was displaying opaque eyes. Is it OK to continue with the cooling anyway or is it best to wait till he has shed? All opinions welcome especially good ones :) hehehe :) My gut feeling is that I should probably wait until he has finished his slough?

Hi, i not entirely sure, but i would just wait as it will only be at most a week till he sheds. But what i have observed with cooling is that humidity drops a little, that wouldnt help a snake shed i dont think.

My 2cents

M.S

Hi Afro, I started my Diamond?s cooling about 3 weeks ago; she is on 5 hours heating a day, at the moment and coming down more, slowly.
Anyway she had a shed last Sunday and seems quite happy.
Don?t know, if that helps you!
I know DPs shed during hibernation, because I have herd of skin in roof of houses found in spring after hibernation.
Cheers

Hi MrFishyPerson,
I dont think it matters either way.If you continue cooling as its only a week or so till sloughing and you aint droppin the temp all in one hit then I dont see a problem.Waiting for a week or so before cooling is no biggy either.

cheers M......

shedding during cooling.

hi phil

it is a common occurance for males to have a shed phase during the cooling process. we find that ours usally do this later in the cooling process and we use this as a bit of a guide as to reheating..
carry on with your cooling process the only differance maybe the lenght of the shed phase. like digesting food a cooled animal will take a little longer to shed.
cheers paul.

Hi African
If it was me I would just leave the temps up for a week untill he sheds. its not going to make any differeance if you start cooling him a week later.
Like ByJungle said if you drop the temps it's likely that the hunidity will drop. But if you chose to drop the temps I think that would also be fine just keep and eye on the hunidity and maybe spray the cage down.

Thanks guys :)
Paul: By a guide to re-heating do you mean you start heating again after the snake sheds? I wouldn't do this in my case would I as he is shedding right at the beginning of cooling?

shedding during cooling.

hi phil..

no i wouldnt and dont warm because the males have shed. but males that have shed during there cooling process get paired first. When you warm up a male you want his mind on the job at hand. A male that is warmed then paired only to go into shed a week later gives you a greater chance of missing ovulation in the female. So with us males that have shed go into breeding boxes. ones that havent get warmed at full term of cooling but arnt introduced straight away. that way there isnt any stimulation for the female only to have the male go off the boil due to shedding at the critical time. we prefer a late clutch than a dud clutch..

of course this is a guide line that we use and not all males will behave in the exact same manner. Its a simple reason to watch your animal and learn from it behaviour.
cheers paul.

So a male snake that doesn't shed during his cooling cycle is likely to shed in the first few weeks of warming? If you warm him up but he doesn't shed in 2 or 3 weeks, does he go in for breeding unshed? My male water shed as I started his cooling cycle so I'd guess he won't shed as he comes out of it.

And Believe me, I need all the help I can get

Join the club. The breeding for the first time this year (hopefully) club :D

Magpie said:
The breeding for the first time this year (hopefully) club :D

Uh oh..... I can just imagine the avatars for this group...... :lol: :shock: :twisted:

You Betta believe it Danny boy :)
Maggie we'd better hold hands and help each other through this mate :)
We both sound like we are snake breeding virgins :L)

shedding during cooling.

yeah magpie..
if a male comes out of cooling with out having a shed. after a couple of weeks of warmth you will be able to see by skin condition/colour if a shed is approching if you feel it is let him complete this first. if however it looks good and there a no signs throw him in with the female after a few weeks if he then comes into shed thats not really a problem as alot of the time with breeding you remove the male to reintroduce after a few days anyway. so he can either be removed for shedding or he will rest while shedding with the female.craig and phil..im only a phone call away if you need advice of any type. im always up for a chat :) hell that goes for anyone i guess.

cheers paul.

Thanks so much for that Mr. Berridge, that is an offer I am sure to take you up on soon, breeding problems or not as I'd like to have a chat too :)
Once again, thanks again Paul, it is much appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back