Cooled diamond wont hide

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoon84

Reaction score
Hey all, my diamond is in cooling mode for the winter, she hasnt been fed since mid April and is thriving in the cold victorian conditions (some nights get down to 10 degrees)
She sits on her log under her basking lights and waits patiently for them to switch on at 8am. She basks for 2 hours or so until the lights go off (at 10am).
From what Ive read in books and online etc, diamonds usually bask in the morning then retreat to a hide box, then come out to bask again the following moring, but mine doesnt.
She is quite happy to stay out in full view all day without going into her hide box.
So my question is...Do other peoples diamonds exhibit the same behaiviour during winter. The way I see it is if she wanted a snug place to hide then she would use it...Right?
Another thing, I put a bag of aspen bedding in her enclosure so if she felt the need she could slither under it and keep warm, but i dont think she likes it, if i put her back in her enclosure, on the aspen, she quickly slithers off onto her log, perhaps it feels a bit foreign to her, cos I have never seen her crawling around on it.
Sorry for the long winded post, any answers would be much appreciated...]
Cheers

Hoon

Are you using colored bulbs or just regular clear?
Also what is her daytime temp?

Nothing to worrie about our adults do the same every year, they use the hides provided very rarely.

mine dont hide either, they arent showing any interest in each other yet either, daytime temps 18, basking light 2hrs in the morning and night temps as low as 7

Diamonds do quite well in the cold, I was at a friends house the other day and his unheated diamonds are still willing to eat.

My diamond is kept outside and comes out about 10am in the morning to bask in the sun. It retreats back to it's hide box around 1 -2pm when the sun starts drifting away. It's hide box is located in the top of an 1800mm tall enclosure.

It does not come out on overcast or rainy days though. It also hasn't been fed since early May. It does not have any artificial heating or lighting provided.

my diamond are in my house and never have heating. their fine. ill be putting them together for breeding in about a month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back