Cooling behaviour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Herpetology

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
just wondering what you should be looking for in your animals (in my case pythons)behaviour during their cooling time, I haven’t noticed too much difference if any

Current heating time is 8:30 to 4:30

And day time heating was 6am to 8pm

Do i continue to drop the hours? Say to 9-3 then maybe 10-2 in mid July?

Or should I just let the natural night time temp drops “tell” the snakes that it’s brumation time

They still get regular heating temps (sometimes a bit higher depending on the day, if it’s a hot winter day, temps usually spike 2 or 3 degrees higher during lunch time)during their heating periods just for shorter times

Herp

Depends on your situation, what age, what species. Are you inducing a torpor/ cooling period to prep for mating?
They know it's winter no matter what, days are shorter and the hides, substrate etc will be a lot cooler in general.
Young snakes, I don't give them much of a winter for their first and second year.
The main thing is watch your feeding if you are intentionally cooling down, make sure they are empty before you reduce temps.
I pack our Morelia species in storage tubs in the garage for several weeks to give ample cooling which makes sure that they breed without a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back