Coping With Stress...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing you could try is Acupuncture! Its amazing!!! If you live in Brisbane my uni has a clinic and they can help out if you have problems with $$ but its on a case by case thing. But I never told you that!!!!!
[h=2]Endeavour College of Natural Health
Brisbane
[/h]362 Water St
Fortitude Valley
Brisbane, QLD 4006

Phone: +617 3257 1883

Fax: +617 3257 1889

Not everyone should jump pointing to medication. You dont know what she is taking, and medication isnt good for everyone. She has limited options of meds that she can try in conjunction with her current medications...

I too have PTSD and I also can't process it, so for some people medication is the only way that works...but it's not always necessary.

I am on Avanza and take 90mg which is more than the recommended 60mg/night maximum dose, but it's scripted under specific authority from NSW Health. I am going to start scaling back to 30 or 45mg depending on whether I can handle the lower dosage. Seems my problems started when I increased the dose, so maybe going back would be better, but of course, I will need to do so under supervision.

I am now titrating down, so perhaps I'll get to that lower dose without too many bad days ;)

Sounds like you've had a really rough time! I was put on Aropax a couple of years ago, it's used for depression, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. It's helped a lot, but of course like any other medication suddenly stopping it can have bad effects. I found this out the hard way a few times, I would feel very angry and be aggressive, I would also end up having head spins until the medication was restarted. Many people will stop using their medication because they feel better but don't realise that suddenly stopping it will have a bad effect. With me it was forgetfulness, I forgot to put in my script a few times, but I'm more careful about it now.

There are various medications that can be used to help with anxiety, but as said by another poster benzodiazepines are something to be very careful of, they are also known as mild tranquilizers and after prolonged use are highly addictive.

Benzodiazepines - Drug Prevention & Alcohol Facts - DrugInfo

Councilors are good too, I've been seeing a one for a few years, and have found that very helpful. The most awkward part is when you're just getting to know them, but I was lucky with mine, we got along well from the start and I seem to make her laugh a lot... she also helped me with the issue of me wanting to buy a motorcycle and my Mother not wanting to talk about it lol. It's all good now :D

As for other things music you like and animals you like help, I often float off in my own world of playstation or computer games too, at least it isn't illegal to kill people there and you can pretend it's the person/people who are getting on your nerves. Some time alone can be good too if you can get it, sometimes you just need time to think about things without being distracted by people/things. I hope things pick up for you soon, try to spend time doing things you're passionate about as much as you can, you need to have at least some happiness.

Not everyone should jump pointing to medication. You dont know what she is taking, and medication isnt good for everyone. She has limited options of meds that she can try in conjunction with her current medications...

True, only a qualified person can say what needs to happen with this.

I ended up in emergency because of Avanza lol, different bodies react differently. Again stressing on the fact of everyone being extremely cautious with all new medication/ recommending a medication. Still on the Mirtazepine ( Avanza) at 30mg

Last edited:
I'm already on medication but because I'm five foot and weigh forty six kilos they don't want me on full dosages. Plus as exotic doc said I'm on other mess for other issues and cocktailing meds gets fun lol

Thanks guys keep them coming!

Just a run down of what's actually going on, it started the end of November '09. Found out my mum was having multiple online affairs, when I confronted her I was blamed for all her stress and pushing her to that point. Things got worse, she did jack all about it and her emotional abuse got to an all time high. She then shipped me off to Brisbane for a week in January '10, and proceeded to move out, didn't tell me until I'd been home for just an hour. 2010 being year 12, I not only had to achieve something, I had to raise my 13yo sister and pick up my fathers pieces, which would often result in emotional, physical and verbal abuse. I became the wife and copped everything. My now boyfriend came in on the end of it, Dad got involved with woman number 1, and that wasn't complicated enough. I got quite sick about this time, resting heart rate of 120, unexplainable, undiagnosable pains in my legs, hips and back. I lost about 20kg through this ordeal and on top of type 1 diabetes, I now take a cocktail of medications (muscle relaxants, beta blockers, tramadol and anti-depressants) which make alcohol consumption not wise lol. Feb last year dad met the wench, he basically left me and my sister to fend for ourselves. At this time I was passing out multiple times and my boyfriend would come over and find me, alone, blacked out on the floor. I ended up moving in with my boyfriend and his family, as Dad seems to have fallen to damsel in distress and swapped his real family for her family. (this woman is known for multiple mental issues and is a manipulative liar). I found out he was engaged to her on facebook, and haven't spoken to the man since last easter. Then a week before Christmas, the house we all lived in, which belongs to my grandparents, is where he and his fiancee' and her three girls are moving into and I have had just under a month to move me and my sister out. Ontop of money issues, I'm getting sicker and more stressed again and finding it hard to cope. My boyfriend is a godsend though and don't know how I'd get through it without him. And that's the BASIC explanation lol. I'm getting to the point where I'm over fighting through the treacle that is life, it's too tiring lol
You are amazing. Year 12 was impossible for me, but you did it all the while dealing with these things? You're inspirational.

Wow, and i thought you and your dad were so close.. gosh, thats really bad..

You need to go away for a few days, or a week or so.. de stress..

Or, take up KickBoxing :D

Gees, Miley. It's no wonder you're getting sick all the time. Constant stress can weaken the immune system and cause all kinds of weird, undiagnosable problems.

As for stress relief, others have mentioned counselling. I'd urge you to look into that. Find someone who can teach you some techniques for dealing with stress. Talking about it does help, but only so far. I'd also recommend regular exercise, especially with your diabetes. And don't only do cardiovascular exercise (brisk walking, running, cycling, et cetera), look at something like yoga, which will strengthen your core muscles and help you relax. Stronger core muscles means less likelihood of muscle pain, which is probably contributing to your stress.

I admire that you want to take care of your sister, but don't forget to take some time out for you, okay? You'll be no good to her if you collapse in a heap.

Stress is the feeling of not being in control. When life is controling you.
So when life gets out of control, you must take action, be in charge.
Don't let circumstances get in your way, make changes.
In the long run its your responsability to deal with stress.
Internal stress or external, can be managed. Leaning to focus your mind would be great.
You are in control. Lifes to short. Get on with your own life, don't let anything hold you back or pull you down.
You are in charge.

I don't really get stressed ever. Just not geared that way. But sport and music are always a good cure. Next time you're revved up don the ipod and hit the gym.

i go on aussie pythons or go in my garage and play with venomous snakes.
play my guitar
go for a surf
kick the next door neighbors cat (kidding)
Draw a picture
go see a movie ..go for a bush walk...rock climb......(get out of the house)..........
and if any one gets in your way knock em down girl

I used to be on a cocktail of medications for various 'issues' (Anti depressants, anti convalescents, anti psychotics, benzo's etc etc etc)... and the only thing that truly helped me through stress was sleeping, exercise and my mates.

After getting off all the medication because I was sick of being mistaken as a zombie, I got into exercise cause I finally had energy, (rock climbing: the exercise for people who hate exercise) and it helped me so much... Now I understand why all the 'experts' recommended that I do it.
Surround yourself with good mates as well. Avoid your parents' crap as much as possible, and when all else fails, sleep!

Lastly, get some help, don't be afraid or too proud to ask for it... people get paid to help people in your situation, it's their job to, so seek it as much as you're able to!

I struggle with depression and anxiety,for a very long time I tried to tough it out but I accepted that I need some help now I see a psych I feel at
least like Im on the right track.they do know a lot of ways to develop coping skills.

Oh so elequently put Craig. Are you sure you got what ever your point was across, it was hard to tell what you were on about with all the totally unneccessary rubbish you added. Go get the soap and wash your mouth out. Go on!

I wont hurl abuse at you, i wont lower myself. I saw people like you for a long time day in day out. I was talking about ABUSING these meds. But your an idiot, i openly said that im on meds and that i did take xanax for a long time, i was warning miley about falling into a hole with these meds and always making sure she can control them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch! That is so wrong. No-one should have to deal with that.

The normal stress relievers people use, like Tai Chi, meditation, yoga, hard exercise/workout/ sport sessions, immersing oneself in a favourite pastime or listening to one’s favourite music etc are not going to cut it for you. You need some resolution to at least some of the issues that you are having to deal with.

Firstly, your parents have a legal obligation to look after your younger sister. And that obligation goes well beyond simple financial support (if you are getting any). What is happening with her is termed “neglect”. I don’t know if she was also physically abused or whether you wish to follow up that up. That is a decision each of you can make when you are capable of dealing with the inevitable backlash. In the mean time, I believe it is pivotal to report the neglect. The Department to speak to seems to be...

Department of Communities,
Child Safety Services.

Central Queensland Region
Work Level 3 209 Bolsover Street Rockhampton Qld 4700
Phone: (07) 4938 4699
Fax: (07) 4938 4957

An alternative to the above is to go to the local police station and tell them what has been happening. Whichever you are more comfortable with.

You have effectively been abandoned by both parents. You have been subjected to verbal, physical and emotional abuse. You have been given the huge added responsibility of looking after a younger sibling, whilst having to keep house and attend school in what is clearly the most stressful year of schooling. The time and physical demands alone would be sufficient to induce severe stress related illness or symptoms. Put it into the context of an abusive situation in which your emotions are continuously being kept red raw and you have a recipe for severe physical and psychological illness. All I can say is that despite how you are feeling at the moment, you are one incredibly mentally tough person.

You obviously see a GP as required. If you haven’t done so already, as if you can be referred to a psychiatrist. If you have and were not happy, ask for another referral for a second opinion. A psychiatrist can help to diagnose what is happening with your body and your brain as a result of what you are being put through. He or she can also recommend the most effective ways to deal with the emotional trauma of your parents involving you in their relationship issues, including blaming your interference for non-resolution and using your supposed guilt as leverage to walk out on you or simply abrogate all parental responsibility. The reality is that they were both being incredibly selfish for not only ignoring your pleas that they act like your parents and cease their self-centred behaviour, but abusing you for interfering into the bargain.

Undoubtedly and justifiably you would be feeling angry and bitter and frustrated and fed up and a whole mix of unpleasant emotions. A professional can help you tease out the why and wherefores, help with the understanding and assist you to resolve what you can and develop coping strategies for that which you cannot.

I reckon only the right sort of professional help can make a real impact on how you are feeling. These professional train for years just so they are able to help people like yourself - who would be normal except they have been put through the emotional wringer by circumstances not in their control. Because it is such a personal thing, you may not “hit it off” with the first professional you see. Don’t be disheartened, just try another until you get one that clicks for you. There are a number of “Help Lines” available, most of which are staffed by highly understanding and competent people. There are also a number of forums, relating to stress and depression, that can allow you to get things off your chest and learn what others have been through and done that is effective. Use these as an interim measure as they will no doubt help a bit but ultimately seek individual professional help.

Wishing you every success on the road to recovery and a brighter, fairer and definitely happier future.

Mike L.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much to everyone that replied, and to those who also took the time to send me a PM. I'm overwhelmed by the support and advice I have received and at times it's brought me to tears :lol:

The biggest stress atm is over, having finally moved all of my stuff out of my previous house, meaning I no longer have to deal with my father and his new family. I'm hoping this leaves 2012 to be a more peaceful and stressful year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back