Copper Pythons?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eryx

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello.. I've always been interested in keeping a snake. Yesterday at the Taronga Zoo I fell in love with one at a reptile show in the afternoon. The show host called the snake a "copper python", and she said they were only found in a little part of central Australia. She also said they make great pets, and they do not grow very large. I can't find any information on these "copper pythons" online. Is there a more common name they are called that I can look up, and what is the scientific name? Or maybe I misunderstood her and she said "carpet python"? With so many people around excited about the snake, it was a little hard to understand her...

Thanks for your help! :D

-eryx

I've never heard of a copper python, that doesn't mean much mind you:)
If it was carpet python she said then it is probably a Bredli. Have a look in my album there are a few pics of my Bredli in there, they really are a nice snake, hope this helps ?

Yes, the Bredli snakes in your album are very similar to what I saw at the zoo. How old is your Bredli? Are all of the snakes in your album the Bredli? I believe the snake at the zoo was darker than the ones in your pictures. But I suppose they probably aren't all the exact same colour!?

-eryx

I have a few photos of my bredls in my gallery and some of them are of the darker brown form. Have a look at them and see if they are the ones you saw at the zoo. :) :)

There are two colour morphs to the Bredli, red and brown varieties are available. The other snakes in my album are Coastals the dark one being a male and the light one a female. The Bredli are just under a year old and are bigger now than they were in the photos. I will try and get some more recent pics in there soon.

How long does the Bredli snake grow? 2-3 metres?

CheeJ - the photo labeled as CCP3-4 looks a lot like the one I saw. That's a Bredli? How old are your snakes?

The reason I ask the age is because at the reptile show, the host said that this snake was 8 years old and at his maximum size, but the snakes that you both have shown me in the pictures look fatter and longer... and africancichlidau, you say your snakes are just under 1 year old!

Ps - africancichlidau, are you an African Cichlid fan too? I love African Cichlids!

-eryx

i think ccp stands for coastal carpet python maybe what you heard was coastal python and misunderstood it for copper

eryx - if you think it might have been a bredli, try searching "Morelia bredli" (scientific name). they come from a fairly localised region around alice springs.

I have a pair too, and they are great :) at a bit over a year old, they are 120 and 130+ cm each.. they will eventually grow to around 2 meters, but could max out a bit smaller than that, and my female looks like she might end up a bit bigger. obviously it varies with the individual.

there are some pictures of my male, taken when he was about 10 monthsold, in my gallery.
http://www.aussiepythons.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_album.php

the 3 pictures in a top row that aren't human are him :)

hey_im_sam - Yes, I'm quite sure now that the snake at the reptile show was a Bredli.

Thanks for all the help! I have been wanting a snake for a while, and have been researching and trying to decide which snake would be best. And I think I've just found the right one! :D

Does anyone have any particular recommendations on the best place to get a Bredli?

-eryx

FYI
found this reference for the Copper Python

YURLUNGUR
The great copper python of the Murngin in northern Australia. Yulungur was roused from his great sleep by the odour of the menstrual blood of one of the women who took refuge in his cave. The great snake rose and drowned the land, and devoured the two women. However, later at a conference of snakes, Yulungur, accused of eating his kin, admitted that he had, and was told to regurgitate the two women.Yulungur is the rainbow serpent, for the water of the well in which he lives shines like the rainbow. His voice is thunder.

I think a Bredl would be more fun to keep.

CCP3-04 means Centralian Carpet Python 3 - picture 4
Bredls make a good first snake.......good placid nature and grows up to 8' but like sam said, it depends on the individual snake.
Mine are about 1 year old and about 3' - 4' in length.
There should be plenty of juvenile bredls in the market soon....good luck :lol: :lol:

Yes indeed mate, I keep Tropheus, Multipunctatus, Cyrochromis, Leleupi and Juliedechromis amongst others but not into it as much as I was, my fishroom had 22 tanks running at one stage :)

Hi Africa

Just as a matter of interest (I'm interested in fish although I don't keep any) would you say that its easier to keep snakes than fish. I know a few people that have been ito fish and they all end up chucking it in because all the fish end up dieing or eating each other. Snake and reptiles generally seem to be less hassle.

Depends on the fish really but generally yes they are a lot more work than reptiles. Well, than most reptiles that is :)

Eryx, drop a line to Paul Berridge, see if he has bred some this season. He's a member here as Pythonss

Thanks africancichlidau for letting me know about Pythonss, I will send him an email soon.

Wow, 22 tanks!! The most I've ever had is 2!

Grahamh, I haven't ever kept snakes before, but I have kept plenty of fish, and from what I have been reading about snake care, I would agree that keeping fish seems like more work than keeping snakes.

-eryx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back