Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptilianGuy

Reaction score
went herping today around some of the fire struck areas in gippsland this arvo, anyway good day in all, however, there was this 1 that i didn't tail due to the higher risk of being tagged, didn't have any equipment to pin the head with me....

anyway it was a snake i at first belived was a RBB but once i was close to it i noticed it had orangie colouration where down the side... i know that RBB do differ with bellie colouration but have seen threads here saying that sometimes they are confused with a copperhead.... sorry didn't manage to get a pic to help with the id... if any 1 has pics of copperheads that look like RBB and visa versa then i will pick out the most similar.... it looked red bellie from the distance but up close to me looked copperheadish....
i'm still learning the snakes you have down here and thier similarities so any help would be gr8, i have the 2 narrowed down for whoever can help...

the area of this particular 1 was jeeralang junction if this helps with locale

cheers

Last edited:
It's great that you had a good day mate but why are you trying to catch wild snakes? Just take a picture and let them on their way.

pretty sure it would be an rbb. millions of em down there. All the way through to cape conran. :D

It's great that you had a good day mate but why are you trying to catch wild snakes? Just take a picture and let them on their way.
Im with waruikazi on this one!! Dont you know its illegal to catch or handle Australian fauna?? and secondly if you dont know what it is why would you even try and tail it in the first place?? I dont believe you were tailing it to help get a pic as you seemed to have plenty of time to dwell on was it a RBBS or copperhead, the fact is even tailing is illegal even for a photo just leave them be, either you get a shot or you dont as the saying goes "Thems the breaks"!!

yeah dont touch wild snakes its illegal dont wont to break the law thingy :lol:;)

gippsland is a hotspot for rbbs. It is illegal and it is dangerous and it is this and it is that but I would have wanted to have a tail too.

gippsland is a hotspot for rbbs. It is illegal and it is dangerous and it is this and it is that but I would have wanted to have a tail too.

Yeah me too.... becareful but..... dont wana upset the flamers....

Yes it seems like a case for the forum police, watch out they will flame you hard :rolleyes:. It's funny how he gets slammed and he didn't even tail the damn thing nor catch the snake.

Yes it seems like a case for the forum police, watch out they will flame you hard :rolleyes:. It's funny how he gets slammed and he didn't even tail the damn thing nor catch the snake.

lol it is funny

and its funny that u could get a red belly confused with a copperhead

was sure it was a RBB, but've had next to no experience with them in the wild down here, ours up queensland that i've seen are different to the southern variety, and also have seen threads on here stating the pair can look similar or be confused down here, was just querying as of the orange on the sides and in fleks in the flattened out neck, being the main thing i could pick from the quick veiw i got of it goin up the slope .....
oh and yeah to the flamers, i think every1 knows it's illegal to touch a wild animal without a 'permit':rolleyes:...... i tell newbies this as well so i don't need the preaching from the typical flamers that do it all the time to every1....
i just ignore ya's as i'm sure you have or do it as well...

anyways the other animals found were a nice Lacie, lotsa water skinks, an echidna and few other macropods. was good to see the amount of life around for a fire ravaged area.... not that there were many other areas for them to feed or drink from except there.
will be posting the pics later in the week

OMG!!! It's illegal to touch wild snakes?????? ......:lol: Wow!! I bet it's illegal for people to kill them also, but that seems to go on pretty much unimpeded :lol: :lol: I'm so frightened of the law in regards to reptile protection, I'm shaking in my boots!! All I'd have to say was, there was in danger of it biting someone in the Southern parts of Victoria and I moved it to protect people! I'd be off scott-free! Biggest loophole in killing/moving/interfering with native wildlife EVER! The whole thing is a joke!

Hobbyists are attacked by these departments more than the people out there freely sticking shovels through ANYTHING that slides past their front gate. Total joke!

I'll enjoy moving, touching, playing, photographing any of these animals until such time as they get serious about their protection...which incidently WILL NEVER HAPPEN! If I had a dollar for every time one of my friends neighbours reported back to me that they'd killed a tiger snake, it'd be a very wealthy man! The same old story "We didn't want to bother you, so we got rid of it ourselves!" Grrrrrrr!!! Like I actually charge anyone of them to move something!! Makes me furious!

If you can't tell the difference between a red belly and a copperhead, you shouldn't be tailing any snakes that have venom.

Its always good to go herping,depending on what your doing exactly..The fact you had no camera says alot imo.

sorry but this prob has nothin 2 do wid the post but can sum1 please tell me how 2 make a post

what exactly does it say Schizmz???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back