Corn snake found in Geelong

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWillieStyles

Reaction score
[h=1]Spotted this in the paper, still cant believe people keep these. The only appeal I can see is that people can brag to their mates that they keep something that is restricted!

Illegal pet trade: snake found in Corio back yard[/h] Shane Fowles | March 28th, 2012

SNAKE_WIDE_IMAGE_I0110089_150739.JPG
DSE senior forest planner Tuesday Phelan with a seized corn snake. Picture: ALISON WYND

THE discovery of a corn snake in Corio has raised concerns about the invasive spread of the animals among the illegal pet trade.
The Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) is seeking information about the illegal possession of reptiles after a free-roaming corn snake was found in the backyard of a Corio home this month.

The animal was captured by a local snake controller and handed into the DSE.

DSE senior investigator Sam Moore said corn snakes were once well-established in the illegal pet trade and continue to be highly sought after due to their striking colouration and appeal to collectors.

"The discovery of this snake is of concern, as corn snakes are regarded as the rabbits of the reptile world and are capable of establishing wild populations," Ms Moore said.

"The discovery of this snake is also of concern because it highlights that there are still people in the community illegally keeping non-native reptiles, with minimum regard to security.

"We are concerned that such people may also be housing more dangerous, high risk invasive species and cannot be certain whether the corn snake has escaped or been deliberately released into the wild."

The North American corn snakes are non-venomous but considered a high-risk to establish wild populations and pose a significant threat to agriculture and local plants and animals.

Anyone with information or who has illegally held pest animals to surrender is encouraged to call DSE on 136 186.
Callers can remain anonymous. Illegal pet trade: snake found in Corio back yard | Geelong, VIC, Australia

Must admit it is a pretty looking specimen. I hope it gets a good home with a zoo and isn't just destroyed.

I know a lot of people who work in pet shops around the Geelong area and someone told me the other day that a customer said they had a corn snake! Oh gosh..... maybe not any more.

Poor little baby. That's my first aussie pic of a corn snake... I always thought they were unicorns!

I know a lot of people who work in pet shops around the Geelong area and someone told me the other day that a customer said they had a corn snake! Oh gosh..... maybe not any more.

Nice comment on the article

I won't elaborate as I could..... But dob them in!
Cheers Jedi. Gotta have my say. I know some people have already gained from it.
I could have elaborated on that too.

there would be a fair amount that arnt so lucky to go to zoos or wildlife parks - as they have plenty of exotics , they can ony look after so many .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back