Corn snakes and Chameleons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
why did you ask the quesition...out of interest or do you have some for sale and this way yoyu can source out any possible buyers?
as said they are both as easy as $h!+ to get and iv been offered corns, boas etc countless times and not taken one yet so my answer is no.

It seems they are both rampant in Sydney,

Here in SA i haven't heard of any being offered.

why did you ask the quesition...out of interest or do you have some for sale and this way yoyu can source out any possible buyers?

Its isnt a very good cover is it, good thing there are ppl working for the authorities on this site. Stick to writing mate, dont risk our ecosytem fo your selfishness...

Is there really any need to look at exotics??? I mean seriously Australia has some of the most fascinating species known- i reckon so anyhow.

Those looking at exotics are probably the same idiots cross breeding all the natives......eventually things will end up like the US and "true" bloodlines will be few and far between.

I say stick to the Aussie Fauna!!

No i wouldn't buy them. I imagine the cost would be extremly high. But nor would i turn them in to the authorities. I was once sent a broucher that included an amnesty over the handing in of all exotic reptile species.

Now i don't own any of course but, i'm not sure i would hand them in if i did happen to have any as the broucher said "all exotic species would be subject to humane Euthanasia".

It's easy to say "your sensitivity is doing damage to our native fauna and could potensially damage our ecosystem". But so is owning a pet cat. And considering a pet cat is much more dangerous than any chemleon and it too is an exotic, puting legal issues aside, i'm sure just about anyone could make sure their pet chameleon doesn't go hunting native lizards and birds at night whist impregnating the next doors cat and producing even more of the pest that would eventually render many of our native species endangered.

So if i was offered a pet corn snake or chameleon i would simply say "no thanks". No need to jump up and down about it. I mean drug dealing is far far worse a trade but i bet most people would still simply say "no thanks" to that.

Theres "supposedly" a wild colony of corn snakes out this way or something.

I know a bloke personally who caught one in some scrub near a place called whalan? (some where in western syd) I have seen the animal in its new home ( a bottle of metho) buggered if i know when or where( exectly) he caught it but he is not the sort of person who would contemplate keeping exotics as he has a magnificent collection that would be too much to risk.

dogs are exotic too twiggz. And wild dogs do alot of damage too. More than any chemeleon could hope to do. It;s not that i don't care about cats, my sista happens to own one and i like it very much. "even though today i had to save a water skink that she had caught". It's just i don't care if anyone is selling exotic herps. (within reason) i mean there is a big diffrence in selling little chemleons to collectors and selling burmese pythons to kids. Just look at the situation in new orleans where pythons to large to keep were released into the water system.

Is there really any need to look at exotics??? I mean seriously Australia has some of the most fascinating species known- i reckon so anyhow.

Those looking at exotics are probably the same idiots cross breeding all the natives......eventually things will end up like the US and "true" bloodlines will be few and far between.

I say stick to the Aussie Fauna!!

Well said Twiggz I agree with you 100%.

I would not risk my ausie herp for any exotic.

I haven't looked into it for over 10 years at least, but yes Victoria does or did have a B grade Zoo licence which allowed you to keep exotic's as I have traded with people with this licence within Victoria, they are basically private properties which are open to the public. Although they didn't have any exotic herp they did have some spices of small primates.

The price of a B grade Zoo licence back then was about $2000.00 per year.

Point taken on the dogs call addy- i just dont tolerate cats at all. Your either a dog lover or cat lover- anyone whos both has issues. lol.

I feel likewise to an extent also addy- dont care if people are selling them. But IMO those people simply just aren't happy with what Australia has to offer- if they love them so much, go live overseas, and stop risking our native species future. Or wait until something legally is introduced for related environmental agencies.

I agree Twiggz.

Yes, cats are here and they can be a menace. Dogs can cause damage too, as can wild horses, etc etc. Doesn't mean we should just go, 'Oh stuff it - let's let everything in then!'. I think we ought to be happy with what we've got.

Point taken on the dogs call addy- i just dont tolerate cats at all. Your either a dog lover or cat lover- anyone whos both has issues. lol.

I feel likewise to an extent also addy- dont care if people are selling them. But IMO those people simply just aren't happy with what Australia has to offer- if they love them so much, go live overseas, and stop risking our native species future. Or wait until something legally is introduced for related environmental agencies.

Agreed.

However i like cats and dogs. Maybe that means i have issues but at the same time if i found any in the wild on my camping trips i'd quickly be vewing them through the scope of my riffle.

Miss B you are right. Just because other animals that are here are worse doesn't mean we can open gates to everything. Alot of these species were introduced when everyone was ignorant. But rather than picking on a small illegal trade i'd like to see restrictions on the more ecologically dangerous species.

Mind you i'd to see alot of things.

I love these arguments LOL. If you care about our native fauna how could you possibly consider keeping a Chameleon ?? Just imagine the damage one of those things could do to our environment ;-) By all means keep cats, dogs, mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, horses, cows, goats, Llamas, alpacas, pigs, deer, peacocks, guinea fowl, chickens, turkeys etc etc etc but a Chameleon ARE YOU MAD ?????

Just to clear a few things up. I don't have any exotics, but like many on this site if you looked hard enough you could find them.
All my animals are on licence and i'm happy with what i've got, mind you after seeing Saz's photos of the baby Boydd's they are top of my wish list now:)
Personally, whilst the whole ecological side is the strongest argument for not having them, I like to be able to show my animals to others and if you kept an exotic i imagine you would'nt be able to show anyone for fear of getting caught. And as a result losing all you're animals. It's just not worth it imo.
Also i can't think of anything worse than not being able to take an animal to the vet if it gets sick
ben

I don't think a Chamelian would survive very well in our hot arid environment, here in SA anyway,

I don't think a Chamelian would survive very well in our hot arid environment, here in SA anyway,

A number of species of Chameleon come from the hot and arid parts of Madagascar. While they might not survive in the northern part of SA, I'm sure some species would cope quite well in the environments closer to the coast - around Adelaide, Victor Harbour, Kangaroo Island and on down to the Victoria border.

:p

Hix

Yemens (Chamaeleo calyptratus) like basking in temps of around 90-95f so would LOVE australia.......so would the european chameleon (Chamaeleo chamaeleon) , and most of the tropical species in madagascar would love the tropical parts of queensland, not quite sure what your wildlife would do to them though, i think most would end up as food for morelia sp......but you never know !!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back