Corn Snakes in Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eryx

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Is it legal to own and/or breed corn snakes in Australia? I actually know someone here in Sydney who is getting a corn snake from a corn snake breeder. Would either of these people need a special licence to keep these snakes? The person I know owns no reptile licence of any kind.

Just curious......

-eryx

Absolutely not legal.
I'd contact NSWPW and report that breeder if I were you!

:-(

"Do not collect $200"? More like pay a fine of a hell of a lot MORE than $200!

Don't do it! In fact, if you want to do the right thing, let NPWS know about it!

The person getting the corn snake is someone I work with on a day-to-day basis and since his co-workers are the only ones he has told, he'd pretty much know it was one of us 5 people who informed the NPWS and sent him to jail or caused him a hefty fine!! This is where my hesitation lies.

I don't know exactly where the breeder is, but my co-worker hasn't gotten the corn snake yet. He intends to bring it into work and everything!!!!!!! A quite risky thing to do. But he also hasn't actually seen the corn snakes and isn't sure himself if this breeder really has corn snakes, or if he is being "led on".

I do want to let the NPWS know about this illegal snake breeder, I'll wait and see if my co-worker finds out if the breeder really has corn snakes..... I just wanted to know if this really was illegal, and since it is, then I do intend to let the NPWS know as soon as my co-worker confirms there is a local corn snake breeder!

-eryx

Not entirely true old chaps.....
If you own a zoo you can get permission to keep them.
You really should dob them in though and go in the witness relocation scheme.
I always do my civic duty and report anyone I see breaking the law. Why just the other day I saw a jaywalker!! I tackled her to the ground and made a citizens arrest.
"Save your tears for the judge,Granny!"
I have seen everyone of the police accademy movies.....I know the law!

:)

:lol: Ah Greebs! Like a breath of fresh air! Good to see you in top form, old son!

eryx

You're in an awkward situation. I think the best thing you can do is explain the possible consequences of what he's planning to do before he does it. I might be wrong but isn't it a possible $10,000 fine and jail sentence or did I imagine that. 8)

With no license and the intention to take the snake to work, this person does not seem like he make a very responsible snake owner.

I agree with Graham, maybe explain to him about the consequences and emphasize the large fine and possible jail sentence! Maybe you could alsotry to find out who/where the breeder is. Or you could do the right thing and report him.

Let us know what happens, and if he does/doesn't listen to your advice... :?

I've told him today about the possible consequences, but he didn't seem to mind at all, pretty confident he won't get caught. After all, he says, he himself knows someone who has had a boa constrictor for a long time.

How do these snakes get into the country anyhow????

-eryx

How do they get here? Most of them are already here and are just bred by unscrupulous people and sold to other people who are either very naive or don't care. Most exotics that are popular in other countries are in Aus somewhere and most are being bred on the black market.

It makes me quite upset, even though I don't yet own a snake (waiting until after my month-long stay in America), I have been learning everything I can about them to care for them properly, and I don't want a snake to "be cool" or "show off", I want one because they are beautiful and fascinating creatures.. and here I am abiding by the law, applying for a reptile keeper's licence, purchasing a legal-to-own snake (a Bredli)... etc.... and here these people are illegally keeping/breeding/selling corn snakes and boas.......... Know what I mean???

-eryx

re corns

Don't let it worry you eryx, i do know of a strictly aquarium employee that
brought a corn snake from a pet shop now not in business, so either he knows the other guy or he already has some. The only person you have to worry about is yourself, am sure a few of us know breeders/herpers that keep exotics as well, and although I appreciate the beauty of some of them, I just choose not to have them in my collection, if someone else does then so be it.

Maccies and the other various childrens are great little pythons and at least you don't have to keep them hidden in a cupboard somewhere, and from what I have heard corns smell :) :(

Just live by your own rules, you will have your new baby soon and am sure it will be very well taken care of.
cheers
olivaceus71

btw am not condoning the keeping of exotics just know that it is a lot more prevailent than many of us would imagine, and until some sort of legislation is put through, do not think much will change.

eryx said:
It makes me quite upset, even though I don't yet own a snake (waiting until after my month-long stay in America), I have been learning everything I can about them to care for them properly, and I don't want a snake to "be cool" or "show off", I want one because they are beautiful and fascinating creatures.. and here I am abiding by the law, applying for a reptile keeper's licence, purchasing a legal-to-own snake (a Bredli)... etc.... and here these people are illegally keeping/breeding/selling corn snakes and boas.......... Know what I mean???

-eryx

There is alot more exotics out there than you all may think.Fact is I have spoken to several people at herp societies that breed anything from corns to retics (When I first entered the hobby my ex wanted snow corns so we were looking....They are hard to find trust me nobody admits to owning illegal snakes at first). majority of breeders do not allow people to visit there homes not just out of fear of being ripped off but also because they keep illegal animals in there collection and are scared of being reported(If a licenced holder is found with these animals ALL there stock is removed and licence cancelled along with a hefty fine). I have also heard that many keepers house them at friends or families places that do not hold any licence,this way they can pay any fines without losing any of there own collection.

P.S... I was a naive newbie to the trade and didnt realise the effects of exotic snake keeping at the time but after learning the consequences of owning an illegal animal we decided not to purchase any.

Hi. I just purchased a corn snake and the breder said it was legal, but told me not to put it on a license. As far as I know, you can keep exotic speiceis but you don't put it on a NPWS license. Would this snake be legal??? :? :?

The breeder has lied to you!!!

Having a corn snake is ILLEGAL, as they are an exotic species.
Having it in your possession can cost you up to $10,000 and a possible jail sentence.

What you are planning to do about it :?:

:D eheh I smell a troll .. I like corn snakes too but ooo they're illegal yup, illegal only if you tell other people you own one that is ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back