corn snakes in qld

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate peopel keeping exotics but some of that assesment is a bit........

"The species’ most likely invasion pathway is via the illegal pet trade. Experienced reptile keepers admit that E. guttata can readily escape from enclosures, due to its small size and general agility. "

To me that gives the impression that they cannot be housed securely, which is a bunch of BS

Last edited:
To me that gives the impression that they cannot be housed securely, which off-course is a bunch of BS
Interesting view point that is not grounded to reality and is "off-course". How many "Help - My snake has escaped?" thread does APS have a week?
Do you really think some one who has purchased a snake from someone at a pub do better?
Mind you, you can make a 100% escape proof enclosure(eg a stainless steel box filled with concrete and welded shut), but most are impracticable at feeding time.

IMO all my snakes are exotic, and I love them all.
I am in the group that would love a Ball Python, and yes I am very happy with what I've already got, but I would still like a BP. I understand there are risks with others such as Burmese or Retics etc, but a BP does not fit in that category. Banning all but native in my opinion is ridiculous and behind in the times.

IMO all my snakes are exotic, and I love them all.

Huh? Is this a typo, or are you just admitting that you keep exotics..?

I am in the group that would love a Ball Python, and yes I am very happy with what I've already got, but I would still like a BP. I understand there are risks with others such as Burmese or Retics etc, but a BP does not fit in that category. Banning all but native in my opinion is ridiculous and behind in the times.

At the end of the day, these are the rules and they are likely never to change...for good reason too.

If you don't like it, and you think Australia has bad service in general (something you mentioned in another thread recently), is ridiculous, and behind in the times - there's always a way out of the country mate.

All reptiles are exotic when moved from one place to another across ocean or land.:)

Banning all but native in my opinion is ridiculous and behind in the times.
Lets say they decided to allow a select number of species in. Within 20 minutes of the decision there will be a post saying "Banning all but native and selected species in my opinion is ridiculous and behind in the times". The legal importation will also act as a cover for illegals so increase monitoring and compliance costs which would certainly mean increased increased licence fees witch, due to my condition*, I am not in favour of.

* I have Ducks Bum Syndrome.

The illegality of keeping of any exotic reptile should be agreed upon soley by that reptile's ability to either

1/ threaten public safety in a serious manner - which would literally rule out ANY venomous reptiles, and very large boids.
2/ threaten biodiversity in a serious manner - which would rule out most North American colubrids, most tortoises/terrapins, most amphibians, and most lizards.
3/ threaten agriculture in a serious manner - which would rule out some species, maybe not as many as above, but still enough to make a difference.

The precautionary principle comes in full swing here - which should mean that individual species are investigated for their potential to apply to either of the above 3 points, and a decision based on that research is made.

But...just because the government bureaucrats "don't like snakes" is not a good enough reason. Sorry. These "don't like snakes" retards are the same ilk that are trying to stop us from keeping natives...hence the new animal keeper guidelines which, as one poster said, have these bureaucrats fingerprints all over them.

Don't like snakes? Fine, don't keep them. But it's not of your business if someone else wants to keep them. It's a private decision and should be treated as such. And I am in fact also supportive of any attempts to legalize cannabis as it is no more harmful than tobacco which is 99% legal, and is certainly no more harmful than alcohol!

but how r some exotics like corn snakes gonna damage our environment? i mean they r just another reptile like a woma python or a roughie.

but how r some exotics like corn snakes gonna damage our environment? i mean they r just another reptile like a woma python or a roughie.

Honestly, are you for real?

Can you post your address so I can get DERM to check out your address?

Interesting view point that is not grounded to reality and is "off-course". How many "Help - My snake has escaped?" thread does APS have a week?
Do you really think some one who has purchased a snake from someone at a pub do better?
Mind you, you can make a 100% escape proof enclosure(eg a stainless steel box filled with concrete and welded shut), but most are impracticable at feeding time.

I was just pointing out that to me they were implying corn snakes can escape enclosures that other snakes cannot, which is not true.

I am quite aware that the reality is snakes escape all the time, not just corns

I think you are being a bit over the top, a sturdy enclosure with no gaps a latch/lock on the door when used correctly is imo escape proof

As much as i love 'diversity' i find it unnerving when i turn up to and idiot mates place and hes telling me he has lost his snake i get annoyed.... and three days later find a corn snake in his desk he gave me.. grr!

Honestly, are you for real?

Can you post your address so I can get DERM to check out your address?
Seriously? You'd think someone keeping exotics would have a better argument than that... Leave him alone, he just doesn't know.

And I also agree with the bureaucrat comment. It's only due to the fact that reptiles aren't the most favourable of creatures in some peoples eyes that they don't give this any thought...
And because they're predisposed to dislike, they don't waste their time with it. Which really limits the hobby in all areas.

Seriously? You'd think someone keeping exotics would have a better argument than that... Leave him alone, he just doesn't know.

And I also agree with the bureaucrat comment. It's only due to the fact that reptiles aren't the most favourable of creatures in some peoples eyes that they don't give this any thought...
And because they're predisposed to dislike, they don't waste their time with it. Which really limits the hobby in all areas.

True, if it gets out that corn snakes or any other exotic for that matter have established a wild population in several ares, and that DERM or QPWS etc try and educate the general public about the potential severity of the situation, re disease, competition for food etc. Would this mean bad publicity for native species considering that the average Jo blo would not hesitate to chop a snake in half and even use the "I just assumed it was an introduced corn snake attitude"?

. And I am in fact also supportive of any attempts to legalize cannabis as it is no more harmful than tobacco which is 99% legal, and is certainly no more harmful than alcohol!

Are you absolutely insane ???????? It has recently been scientifically proven there is a link between the onset of schizophenia and the use of cannabis (google it if you dont beleive me). If you need me to find the research I will. Therefore it is undoubtedly more harmful than alcohol. There has been recent pressure on the government because of these research findings to go back to outlawing the use of cannabis. However at this stage the government have decided not to act on these recommendations. However with a shange of government it may well be back on the agenda again.

Now Ive got that off my chest....what an excellent article....there was a statement in there about corn snakes not being naturalised in Australia or Queensland which I am taking to mean that they have not moved out into the general wildlife population like cane toads for example ? (correct me if I am wrong)

I wonder what people think about that statement ? There have threads on here about corn snakes being 'found' in peoples backyards and people posting pics of what they have found and innocently saying....'look what I found in my backyard I cant work out what it is ?'

Do you think there is a wild population of corn snakes from escapees/dumpings ?

Elizabeth

Do you think there is a wild population of corn snakes from escapees/dumpings ?

Elizabeth

In short, yes. If not due to carelessness on the part of illegal keepers/breeders then due to the release of them without knowledge of the consequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back