corn snakes in qld

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you absolutely insane ???????? It has recently been scientifically proven there is a link between the onset of schizophenia and the use of cannabis (google it if you dont beleive me). If you need me to find the research I will. Therefore it is undoubtedly more harmful than alcohol. There has been recent pressure on the government because of these research findings to go back to outlawing the use of cannabis. However at this stage the government have decided not to act on these recommendations. However with a shange of government it may well be back on the agenda again.

Elizabeth

Pretty ignorant. Did you also read the part where cannabinoids have a direct link to healing certaint malignant cells? It has been proven to reduce the onset of cancer and has half the degenerative mental effects of abuse of alcohol and other drugs, not to mention it's highly unlikely to 'develop schizophrenia'. It's generally hereditary and passed on down the family. It may in fact trigger schizoprenia earlier but all that means is establishing your family history before touching the stuff -- Assuming the person consuming said drug is an adult. I completely disagree with the use of cannabis in the younger population aswell as other illicit substances.

Now that I've got that off of my chest

As for the original topic, I'd prefer not to see other 'exotics' around that could harm the native flora / fauna but at the same time I'd love to see other species which could come under a category of not being harmful that may be exotic. But I'm no expert so I really wouldn't know if that's possible..

So is the article trying to say they have everything under control ? when really it isnt ? or are they just sticking their heads in the sand

Hey Fantazmic last study I saw said that schizophreniacs were more lkely
to smoke cannabis.
"Undoubtably more harmful than alcohol" is laughable.
However we digress from the OP's topic.

but how r some exotics like corn snakes gonna damage our environment? i mean they r just another reptile like a woma python or a roughie.

No, actually, they are not. They are completely different to a woma or a rough scaled python. Totally different.

Womas and rough scaled pythons are boids. Pythons (boids) are well represented in Australia. They tend to move more slowly, tend to produce fewer offspring and tend to have a longer maturation period between hatching and reaching size of reproductive capacity - usually around 2 years as a minimum.

Corn snakes are colubrids. Colubrids are poorly represented in Australia, and I am led to believe there is a reason for that. They tend to have a faster metabolism, tend to produce larger numbers of offspring, and generally have a shorter maturation period - in some cases corn snakes can begin breeding at nine months of age if they are of appropriate size.

Both these groups are pretty good climbers (with exception to womas/aspidites, as they tend to be boreal in nature). Corn snakes are very good climbers, and can easily scale a tree for prey items. As can most boids.

Exotics can damage the environment in a number of ways - one of the main ones is competition with local species which can in extreme cases drive the local species to extinction. They also predate directly on local species, and can also wipe them out in a similar fashion, and they can carry pathogens that are not endemic to Australia and therefore our local species have no immunity to them, which could also wipe out a local species as well. That's three big reasons to be concerned about.

They certainly can cause damage. I'd say the corn snake, of all snakes, would be one snake that you really wouldn't want to bring into Australia - they breed in large numbers, will adapt to most environments in Australia, and cause the aforementioned problems of competition, predation, and perhaps even spread non-endemic diseases. No, corn snakes do not pose ANY threat to human safety, they are in fact what I consider the safest of all snakes to handle as they very rarely if ever bite and they are generally extremely placid, often to the point of boring - but that says nothing about the threat they pose to the environment which I would say is pretty serious.

And I also agree with the bureaucrat comment. It's only due to the fact that reptiles aren't the most favourable of creatures in some peoples eyes that they don't give this any thought...
And because they're predisposed to dislike, they don't waste their time with it. Which really limits the hobby in all areas.

Only when it comes to native species, which has been the subject of much pain and suffering when it comes to keepers in the past. When we're talking about exotics, it's a different ball game.

In a word, with natives, yes I'd agree.

With exotics, no, generally I wouldn't agree with that sentiment.

I think we need to breed more natives, especially more of the smaller and more easily manageable species (ie, womas, rough scaled pythons, etc) and teach people about what we have here...I think you'll find most people would be happy with keeping natives anyway.

Last edited:
I wonder how much that document cost us tax payers.

I'd love a cornsnake... their on my dream list.

Lastly......... Canetoads!
That is all

Are you absolutely insane ???????? It has recently been scientifically proven there is a link between the onset of schizophenia and the use of cannabis (google it if you dont beleive me). If you need me to find the research I will. Therefore it is undoubtedly more harmful than alcohol. There has been recent pressure on the government because of these research findings to go back to outlawing the use of cannabis. However at this stage the government have decided not to act on these recommendations. However with a shange of government it may well be back on the agenda again.

Elizabeth

That study was dismissed long ago, as most studies are conducted with a pre set outcome (yes I know - controversial) so was proven that one . . . and if you want Google it and find the politician that tried to publicise the study as fact. Alcohol has always been more destructive in many ways, physically, mentally, socially. . . how many date rapes happened on weed? Anyway education is the first step. . and as your post points out we have yet to take that one.

As for established wild populations, I think there are greater threats to our environment than just exotics. . .like people and our insane destruction of fragile environments and excessive use of natural resources. To me this all seems to be the old magicians trick of look at this. . while in my other hand. . . .

but how r some exotics like corn snakes gonna damage our environment? i mean they r just another reptile like a woma python or a roughie.

You could ask the same questions of Sparrows, Starlings and Indian Mynahs, which have invaded our cities and suburbs since their deliberate introduction early last century - now you never see native species of honeyeaters in many places because they've been squeezed out by those much more aggressive imported species. Rabbits, foxes, cats, and even cane toads were seen as benign, harmless or just useful when they were introduced, but with the wisdom oif hindsight, Australia is not keen to add any more mistakes to the huge list of those already made.

if you add some prolific, highly fecund (look it up :)) exotic reptiles to the mix, do you think they'll compete with our native species for food and shelter as their numbers increase? Of course they will - our small lizards and frogs will be the first to suffer as the hatchlings grow, and that leaves less food for our native species, which will eventually disappear.

Just because a few a few self-centred, thoughtless clowns want something different. You already live in a country which has amongst the most divergent reptile species in the world... be happy with that.

Jamie

maybe if we can get them eating cane toads, that could fix an earlier expert government blunder !!!

You could ask the same questions of Sparrows, Starlings and Indian Mynahs, which have invaded our cities and suburbs since their deliberate introduction early last century - now you never see native species of honeyeaters in many places because they've been squeezed out by those much more aggressive imported species. Rabbits, foxes, cats, and even cane toads were seen as benign, harmless or just useful when they were introduced, but with the wisdom oif hindsight, Australia is not keen to add any more mistakes to the huge list of those already made.
In a nutshell!!!

if you add some prolific, highly fecund (look it up :)) exotic reptiles to the mix, do you think they'll compete with our native species for food and shelter as their numbers increase? Of course they will - our small lizards and frogs will be the first to suffer as the hatchlings grow, and that leaves less food for our native species, which will eventually disappear.

Just because a few a few self-centred, thoughtless clowns want something different. You already live in a country which has amongst the most divergent reptile species in the world... be happy with that.

Jamie
Summed Up !!

If you look at all the animals that have been introduced into Australia, whether accidentally or on purpose, you'd be hard-pressed to make up much of a list of animals which HAVEN'T had really serious detrimental impacts on our natives.

And as for 'oh, it's a reptile, reptiles are totally fine and no harm can ever come of them'...brown tree snake? Guam? Complete and utter devastation? There's absolutely no reason why for example the corn snake couldn't have a similar impact in Australia.

Guys, we literally have half the world's python species, and our herpetofauna is the envy of the rest of the world. Why on earth would we want to put our unique fauna at risk for a handful of pretty species?

Elizabeth

don't believe everything you read Elizabeth,I smoked for more than 30 years and we are not schizophenic

Last edited:
The broader points of 'exotics are bad' are totally correct, but it is worth noting that the introduction of the brown tree snake to Guam is way overused as an example of an invasive snake, and that fact alone might point to something. Insular populations of potential prey animals that are unused to avoiding snakes, who have few natural predators in these environments, is a very different situation to that in Australia, and indeed, anywhere that is not a reptile devoid island.

Well I think Australia is doomed either way because weather or not we allow them they are already here and I wouldnt be surprised if there are already heaps of corn snakes in the wild because of illegal ones that have already escaped. If they ever do make it legal then I think any exotic that comes over here should have a vaccination to stop disease spreading. And make a special license that u need to pass a course and have an approved cage for just my 2 cents lol

Jamie

Could not agree more, we have such an abundance of reptiles and people still complain?

Surely some of the "we want exotics" group would have noticed, as they have an interest in reptiles, that Australia is very well suited to reptiles, which is reflected by the abundance of species we have that reside in our country. The establishment of just about any exotic reptile population in Australia will have devastating effects on our wildlife.

Funny how no one had a problem with the 'Show us your exotic birds' thread :) A lot of people on here seem to have double standards.

As far as protecting our environment goes, the current background extinction rate is 1000 times higher than it should be, we're raping our resources for the benefit of a few, we're ruining our water ways, destroying native habitats everywhere through clearing and fishing out the sea's at an unsustainable rate. I'm sorry to say it but the barn doors are open and the horses have fled. Good thing we're not allowed exotic reptiles though or we'd really be screwed ;)

I hate peopel keeping exotics but some of that assesment is a bit........

"The species’ most likely invasion pathway is via the illegal pet trade. Experienced reptile keepers admit that E. guttata can readily escape from enclosures, due to its small size and general agility. "

To me that gives the impression that they cannot be housed securely, which is a bunch of BS

and if you can show me a single herp keeper that hasn't had a single escape in the first five years, I'll point to the one's lying.

Last edited by a moderator:
The broader points of 'exotics are bad' are totally correct, but it is worth noting that the introduction of the brown tree snake to Guam is way overused as an example of an invasive snake, and that fact alone might point to something. Insular populations of potential prey animals that are unused to avoiding snakes, who have few natural predators in these environments, is a very different situation to that in Australia, and indeed, anywhere that is not a reptile devoid island.

Hmmm just like a few cane toads won't hurt anyone
If it wasn't here in the first place p!ssem back off the where they come from, oh wait are we talking bout immigrants or animals still ;)

Exotics aren't bad there just doesn't need to be a place here for them

Skeptic that's a good point why is it ok for birds but reptiles mammels Ect aren't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back