Corn Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont care about my license as such but I do care about my animals.
The threat of my animals being euthanaised because I needed to keep an exotic is enough for me.
There are stiil plenty of species here to keep me happy.
Peter

I agree with that statement Peter, I as I have said I feel the exactly the same.
I will not ever keep anything illegally, all I am saying is if there are as many exotic out there as people are saying then it needs regulating in some way, and the most obvious would be to license them, it would only be a start not a entire solution, I agree.

if u actually knew what the authorities can and cant do u'd see why its a growing problem. if ur not a complete moron u can get away with plenty, and if u have half a brain ur pretty damn safe.

its just up to whether or not u want to take the risk

cheers, jono

You'd actually be surprised at what they can do. If they dont like you they can just pass you on to another department.
Once AQIS get involved there are ways of circumventing any rights you thought you had.
Of course you can keep things in secret. I have the real Mona Lisa hanging on the back of my shed door but no one else has seen it.
Peter

150% responsible????

bondisnakes said:
I agree with what you have all said.

I guess my question was assuming that the owner actually was 150% responsible. ie, there actually was no chance of the snake ever getting anywhere near the wild.

eg, although you guys would not have one, I am sure due to your concern there is simply no way you would ever release one into the wild, or allow it to happen in any way shape or form. You would also have it checked out by a vet to make sure there are NO diseases, or nasties. With the snake being in the custody of someone that IS that responsible, I think it would be ok. But thats just my opinion.

If the owner was 150% responsible Then he wouldn't be breaking the law by keeping exotics

It's a fake

peterescue said:
I have the real Mona Lisa hanging on the back of my shed door but no one else has seen it.
Peter

Sorry Peter, but you've been taken in by unscrupulous characters! The real Mona Lisa is hanging on the wall in my toilet - has been for years.

...and to keep this on topic, and for what it's worth, I don't agree with keeping exotics, much as I'd love to keep a few.

Well this is a good post!!! No nasty replies,so good to see people!!! I agree with nearly all comments above except the cane toad arguement,they were introduced without the proper enviroment impact studies done because they simply didn't care back then,however with laws in place and licensing to go with those laws,then the Government could have some control and make themselves their oh so important dollars with licenses and movement notices! I will never keep anything illegal for fear of my animals being taken off me but I would be the first to start buying some exotics thats for sure.That said I do agree with the people who say we have plenty of natives,but really look at some other specimens,they can be quite spellbinding!!

I would like an albino Burmese, old school but that describes me.

Guy down the street from me had (got busted) a heap of illegal shiat...albino burmese pythons, albino corn snakes, milksnakes or whatever, iguanas, oh jeez. . .he had everything!

I agree. Ive seen an albino corn and they are soooo good arent they! I so want one. :)

There's a couple of things I have to say on this subject. 1.if an albino corn escaped it would be picked off pretty quick. It's albino and stands out like a sore thumb. It would have no chance here.

2. The main reason the problem of farrel populations isn't really an issue in the U.K. and [/u]most of North America is because it's too cold here for alot of species to survive.

3. Burmese Pythons, Nile Monitors, Ball Pythons, Boa Constrictors, Green Iguanas, are now found in books detailing wild life found in the Florida Everglades. They are very established there. Reticulated Pythons are also begining to carve out a niche there. It is happening here. What effects this will have there is yet to be determined. But it is certainly something to think about. I can only think that with the intorduction of new perditors the effects won't be too good given the rapid rate at which the Everglades are shrinking.

I'm not saying I'm against exotics in Australia but that's easy for me to say as I don't live there. But it's very possible. Most of the burms and such in Florida didn't escape, they were released when they became too big to care for or when the novelty ran out. What will people in Australia do when they can't accomidate their 21ft. Retic, or their 19ft. Burm. ? The disease thing I don't buy at all, but in some areas of Australia these animals could survive. The Everglades are perfect habitat for all those animals.

Actually a freind of mine had a pair of albino's in with a pair of maccies of the same size and in the first nite one of the maccies killed and tried to eat one of the corns,so they wouldn't be a threat IF they escaped in our wildlife.I suppose it is a bit like why do some people like Fords more than Holdens? :wink:

THat is only under those circumstances, what happens if, for instance, the cornies happen to move into the mirco habitat that baby diamonds like. I'm not saying that it would happen, but it is a possiblity. And the first thing we would know about it is when the diamonds disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back