Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danischi24

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I've been offered a hatchy bhp but I have an 8 kg fox terrier type inside dog & I have a fear that needs perspective because she is my world, apart from being a very valuable specimen. I have a cat about the same size too but he's welcome to become snake lunch :lol:
We all know how bhps test their cage limits & even the biggest pros have snake escapees occasionally due to owner error like a phone call at the wrong time or pulling the key out without turning it etc. What are the chances that if my snake gets out as an adult (obviously something I'll do my best to avoid) that she will get the dog if raised with her? Doesn't have to actually eat her. Constricting would be enough to consign said snake to sushi.
No point receiving answers like "I've had snakes for 100 bazillion years & never had an escapee". This is a what if situation. Like what if a burglar broke the tank on the way out.
My dog never goes out unsupervised so wild snakes are not a problem & she is very sweet & wouldn't attack the snake though I can't say the same for the demon cat :evil:

get it because as a hatchling you will figure out the way it thinks then you can prevent escapes

If have to say yes that doggie and kitty would be in trouble "IF"????? Snake was ever to get out
but I'm a big fan of the bhp if that was me I'd be taking the snake if I had the room how old is the kitty and doggie snake won't pose a risk for a while

Would have to be a very big BHP to eat one, but anything around 6-7ft/4kg give or take would easily be able to kill even a larger dog or even an adult human if it got some good coils around it and there was no help around.

If you've ever experienced a feeding bite from a large snake, or even at the size that I mentioned, you'll know that they're powerhouses and are very hard to get off if they get a good tail lock.

Cat & dog are 3 years old. I'm aware that it is physically possible for any big snake to kill large animals. I'm more asking what the behavior of a bhp that escapes would be. I feed a lot so my snake will never be starving hungry though I know to watch the weight with bhps. Once out, would she make a beeline for the pets even if raised with them or curl up under the doona or on the kitchen counter for some sun.

Kill, yes though highly unlikely it could actually eat it.

I'm more asking what the behavior of a bhp that escapes would be. I feed a lot so my snake will never be starving hungry though I know to watch the weight with bhps.

If content in her viv she may just go cruising and wander about
If well fed she probably wouldnt bother with hunting
BUT
Nobody can give you a definitive answer on this
Each snake is different

This is actually the reason I had to get rid of my beloved olive python. For some reason he developed a taste for my dogs and would go mad when he was out in the house/yard and could smell them - copped a bad feeding bite from him after I didn't wash my hands thoroughly enough after playing with them and he was about 7-8ft/6+kg. Had soft tissue damage in my hand for two weeks and couldn't make a fist properly. It was then I realised how my foxies would end up if he got to them and I made the decision to move him on - sad as he really was a lovely snake with a beautiful nature.

kill a bit older eat maybe when there bit older snake might be doing them a favour it'd be one hell of a feed

If you let possible scenarios stop you from doing anything then you might as well just stay in your room . But hang on , what if a plane crashes on the house , or if there is a fire . :eek:

;o

Each man to his own poison. In my life there are acceptable risks & unacceptable risks. I'm asking advice to try to decide which one this is for me. For instance, keeping a death adder loose in my house is an unacceptable risk for me. Getting into my car with the maniacs on the road is an acceptable risk. I do what I can to minimize disaster. My dog is very important to me & I don't want something with a high risk of killing her in the same room. However, if the risk is very low, I would like to have one of these lovely natives. I'm starting to think though that I should wait until I have a snake room & the money for an albino BHP & enjoy my Ants & lizards til then.

The risk is very very low.... a. A baby bhp is absolutely awesome, b. You look after it and keep it well fed, c. Just as with all snakes they're never to be left out unsupervised... whilst one of my bhp's loves to engage with the pussycats on the front lawn when out for poppy walks... as in makes very slow advances until the cat moves... the other would be happy to curl up in the sunshine and have a nap with it... BHP's are fairly slow generally placid... there's more of a chance your dog could do some damage to your snake... if you're even remotely waiting for albino BHP's you must be an extremely wealthy person... just do it... :)

I'm starting to think though that I should wait until I have a snake room & the money for an albino BHP
If you are going to wait until then you may not need to worry about your dog.

Make sure you let me know when you find one thats available in oz.

Aaron

The risk is very very low.... a. A baby bhp is absolutely awesome, b. You look after it and keep it well fed, c. Just as with all snakes they're never to be left out unsupervised... whilst one of my bhp's loves to engage with the pussycats on the front lawn when out for poppy walks... as in makes very slow advances until the cat moves... the other would be happy to curl up in the sunshine and have a nap with it... BHP's are fairly slow generally placid... there's more of a chance your dog could do some damage to your snake... if you're even remotely waiting for albino BHP's you must be an extremely wealthy person... just do it... :)
Trust your snake at your peril with other domestic pets.... The answer to the original thread question is YES

Is it really that hard to keep your dogs and your snakes separate? Am I the only person that keeps their snakes in enclosures??

Besides, I would be way more worried about the snake than the dog. Foxies are adept killers and even with a snake up to 7 or 8 foot it could go either way.

It could happen as stated but unlikely just as the robber who let the BHP out might steal your dog as well.

No point receiving answers like "I've had snakes for 100 bazillion years & never had an escapee". This is a what if situation. Like what if a burglar broke the tank on the way out.

Is it really that hard to keep your dogs and your snakes separate? Am I the only person that keeps their snakes in enclosures??

Besides, I would be way more worried about the snake than the dog. Foxies are adept killers and even with a snake up to 7 or 8 foot it could go either way.

OK, well clearly I didn't read the entire post from the OP. I only realised I missed something when I was sitting here wondering what the hell Andy was going on about with the 'robber'. :oops:

I would still put money on the dog.

My dog doesn't touch other animals. She was trained from a pup & is gentle natured too.
Here's a question: if the snake was raised being a live snakeskin dog collar from a young age, would it turn around & eat the dog when it got big enough? In another words, if they were socialized & spent a lot of time together, would the snake turn.

My dog doesn't touch other animals. She was trained from a pup & is gentle natured too.
Here's a question: if the snake was raised being a live snakeskin dog collar from a young age, would it turn around & eat the dog when it got big enough? In another words, if they were socialized & spent a lot of time together, would the snake turn.

Short answer, yes.

Very silly idea. Snakes aren't social animals and certainly don't form bonds. Just keep them separate and you won't have any problems.

Your kidding right? No , firstly it would stress the snake out to the max and secondly snakes can't be trained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back