Council just came to take my dog

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow,. what an awful thing to have happen!
I am so pleased to read there is hope of getting your dog back.
I cant imagine how you have been feeling.

Is there any news on when you can pick him up?

I cant believe they are trying to charge you $400 to pick him up?!
I am happy to pitch in $20 if its still needed :)

hey KJ! Hope all goes well today!! :)

Ajandj, while it was unfortunate what happened to you in your case, every dog is different. Not long after we bought our Aussie bulldog home he attacked our Jack Russell, they were both full males and battled it out one day when we werent home. Our poor little fella nearly died, it turned out that he had only been bitten once but as Blocka weighed 40kgs it was enough to do serious damage. we got him fixed up and desexed to try and calm the situation.
we ended up rehoming him because even after he was desexed he still thought he was the big man around the house and continued to stir up Blocka trying to start fights. Blocka never went near him again.
Now blocka is my 2 year olds best mate. He has never in the 5 years we have had him even so much as growled at us or Matilda and now we have a kitten that runs around the back yard with him and his mate, LuLu.
For all we know KJ's dog may have just given a warning bite and due to his size it was just to much. It doesnt mean that he is a dangerous dog, it just means he has stuffed up ONCE.

I have an older large (35 kgs) dog who has not killed another dog but was locked onto another dog so tight he had to be dragged into the ocean and held under water to get him to let go.

We have since had kids (some as young as 3) at our house and he has absolutely no issues with humans, if anything he is cowardly around humans to the extent of hiding under my bed when we have a BBQ etc.

To say from your experience that all dogs that kill another dog will attack a human is quite ridiculous every dog is different like every human is different.

just read the whole thread and it was so sad. i really feel for you.
we have a JR and they are natural hunters. most people here said it wasnt ur fault and it wasnt, it wasnt the neighbours dogs fault either it was just the JR barking and growling that caused it.
i really feel for you.
Glad its turnig out well for you and your dog and beautiful dog btw
Tom

I have an older large (35 kgs) dog who has not killed another dog but was locked onto another dog so tight he had to be dragged into the ocean and held under water to get him to let go.

We have since had kids (some as young as 3) at our house and he has absolutely no issues with humans, if anything he is cowardly around humans to the extent of hiding under my bed when we have a BBQ etc.

To say from your experience that all dogs that kill another dog will attack a human is quite ridiculous every dog is different like every human is different.

The best appraoch is never give them the chance. By nature, dogs are competitive, and males especially aspire to be leader of the pack, whether it's a pack of dogs or their pack is made up of humans. NEVER leave a dog unsupervised with small children, regardless of how much YOU trust it. It's a disaster just waiting to happen, and you're simply asking for trouble... for which the dog will pay a very high price. There are HUNDREDS of stories where the owner has said "Ooooh... he's never done anything like that before!" as the animal is being taken away to be put to death... if the dog sees itself as being between you and the child/children in terms of pack seniority, then it will naturally assert its dominance to maintain the hierarchy, with catastrophic consequences for the child AND the dog...

Jamie

The best appraoch is never give them the chance. By nature, dogs are competitive, and males especially aspire to be leader of the pack, whether it's a pack of dogs or their pack is made up of humans. NEVER leave a dog unsupervised with small children, regardless of how much YOU trust it. It's a disaster just waiting to happen, and you're simply asking for trouble... for which the dog will pay a very high price. There are HUNDREDS of stories where the owner has said "Ooooh... he's never done anything like that before!" as the animal is being taken away to be put to death... if the dog sees itself as being between you and the child/children in terms of pack seniority, then it will naturally assert its dominance to maintain the hierarchy, with catastrophic consequences for the child AND the dog...

Jamie

I agree with you totally, neither of our dogs are ever left unsupervised with Matilda. I have friends tat have 3 massive malamute dogs that are getting old, and Tilly accidentally stood on his tail! I was horrified when he turned around and snapped at her. it was just lucky that I was standing right next to her or god knows what might have happened. All dogs have the ability to bite and we never know what may set them off.

I never claimed to have left my dog alone with small children, just saying he has been around them and pays them no attention.

Our dogs are the same eitak. Theyd rather sit quietly with us than be near kids, except for tilda, she's there mate. The funniest is watching 2 big bulldogs bouncing on a trampoline with her!

aaaww that is so cute, our big boy is such a sook!! The amounts of times I've had a few people over and found him hidden under my bed hahah so cute!!! I am more concerned about our staff pup who bounces off everything and everyone

I think you are completely in denial about this KaotikJezta. If you dont see how this is your fault then you fall into the category of one of those idiots who has aggresive dogs but doesnt take the issue seriously. If you dont have the power to buy appropriate fencing because you are renting then why do you have a dog that is obviously a dangerous breed (or mix of there of)? By all reasoning even if the dog was killed on your property the fact that your dog killed another dog is sufficient, it is your fault. And thoughout this thread you have definatly suggested it was your dog that broke the fence. What warning signs would you need to be satisfied that your dog might harm a neighbours kid that is causing trouble? what if a kid climbed through your fence onto your property, does it deserve to be murdered? At the very least accept that your dog has caused this damage and that you personally as its owner are responcible. If you as someone who is such a staunch defender of dangerouse breeds cant, then I seriously beleive that no one is responcible enough to own one.

My post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, just for generic dog management.

J

I think you are completely in denial about this KaotikJezta. If you dont see how this is your fault then you fall into the category of one of those idiots who has aggresive dogs but doesnt take the issue seriously. If you dont have the power to buy appropriate fencing because you are renting then why do you have a dog that is obviously a dangerous breed (or mix of there of)? By all reasoning even if the dog was killed on your property the fact that your dog killed another dog is sufficient, it is your fault. And thoughout this thread you have definatly suggested it was your dog that broke the fence. What warning signs would you need to be satisfied that your dog might harm a neighbours kid that is causing trouble? what if a kid climbed through your fence onto your property, does it deserve to be murdered? At the very least accept that your dog has caused this damage and that you personally as its owner are responcible. If you as someone who is such a staunch defender of dangerouse breeds cant, then I seriously beleive that no one is responcible enough to own one.

I never denied responsibility, hence leaving it up to my neighbours to decide. As for the fencing, I am buying appropriate fencing, or did you miss that part. I never denied my dog broke the fence, I denied my dog broke it down and entered there yard. As stated before, just because it happened with another dog, does not mean he is human aggressive. Don't use this an excuse to attack me because you disagree with my opinion on a different thread.

Wow,. what an awful thing to have happen!
I am so pleased to read there is hope of getting your dog back.
I cant imagine how you have been feeling.

Is there any news on when you can pick him up?

I cant believe they are trying to charge you $400 to pick him up?!
I am happy to pitch in $20 if its still needed :)
Thanks Gecko.

UPDATE: Spoke to the council and he will be coming home on Wednesday. They decided to only charge kennelling until today so it is still only the initial $423 to pick him up. Will post pictures when I go to get him. Thanks everyone for all your support and help through this, I don't know what I'd have done without it.

Last edited:
Having a dog sleep on your bed is by no means a precursor to that dog challenging a heirachy. All my dogs have always been allowed to sleep wherever they please, conditional on moving themselves when asked. They all obey all commands given, even if it be by a stranger or child, on and off my property. They all obey commands given to them by complete strangers even at the dog park with balls flying about and other dogs to interact with (distractions) and will happily be told what to do by small children. They don't need bribery or 'treats' as rewards and never have they needed to be corrected for not listening to commands. They do this because they understand that i am the leader of their pack, i only ask of them what i expect them to do to maintain the peace and not listening to me results in 'mumma-dog' corrections such as a nip, growl or 'angry face'. I can simply change my body posture and raise my lip to them and they understand that i have not been impressed with their behaviour which results in them returning to my feet and waiting to be released again back to play.

Basically, what i'm trying to say is it all depends on the individual. My dogs are not of the nature to challenge a person or child for position in the pack. They will all happily eat out of the same bowl, even let the cat eat out of their bowl while they are there too. Originally my rotti x defended her food bowl frmo the others are growled at the cat but now she knows there is no point in it. There is no competition between them because i have taught them as they have grown that this is not needed in our family, and that by altering their behaviour to suit my desires results in much more pleasant experiences for them. I have retrained and rehomed several large-breed dogs that prior to being in my care have displayed dog on dog food oriented aggression, all they need is to be shown that is expected of them and that by complying they achieve much more desirable outcomes than by 'doing it their own way'.

I guess i just got a bit upset by the references made to 'professional dog trainers' implying that allowing a dog(s) to share ones bed is encouraging them to challenge the structure. If you are a reliable, trustworthy and consistent 'pack' leader that provides for their family and fulfills their needs physically and mentally then why would your animal have reason to challenge you? The vast majority of dogs do not wish to be the leader of a pack, it is an unstable position that carries inherant stresses and volatility, if given the choice most dogs will happily defer to a confident and worthy human to tell them what to do. Some dogs do not have this in their nature, either by their breeding or their past experiences such as breeds like Huskies or animals treated poorly in the past. (I say Huskies simply because they are a very independant animal and in being so they can be stubborn, too smart for their own good sometimes, lol.)

Anyway, to me it sounds like your dog - ajandj - redirected his aggression onto you that day. In being stirred up by the new little dogs next door he was already in a heightened state of anxiety and by initiating a wrestling game he may have just been pushed over the edge. Its a very common thing to happen. Ever walked past a gated property with two or more dogs inside going batty about our dog passing by? And they all havea good go at the fence and sometimes leap on each other too? They are redirecting their aggressive instincts onto each other because they can't get to their target beyond the fence. Either that or some sort of neurological disease could have been the cause. I'm sorry for your experience, i'm not trying to belittle it, but if i were in your shoes i would only presume their to be something more going on.

For example, i love to wrestle with my dog but i know she is too strong for me and could do my some serious damage if she got too excited and accidentally bit too hard. I have taught her that 'stop' means to move away from me and wait for the next command. Works every time. It is especially good because i have confidence in knowing that she is always waiting for the command and so is paying attention to me constantly and therefore always waiting for the 'game' to end and turn into an obedience training session. Handy too if kids or 'non-doggy' people are visiting as wish her to leave them alone, they can simply say 'stop' or 'get out' or point to another room in the house and say 'go' and she will obey them, knowing that non-compliance generally results in her being left in the kitchen on her own (she's a sappy dog really).

Bleh. I got my goat up over a silly comment, sorry guys, but i just had to put my two cents in. My dogs sleep where they please, when they please. All it takes for you to get them to move is a simple request and never have they shown even the slightest interest in not obeying. I guess they know that i have my reasons (more often than not thought i get them off the couch and just squish up so we all fit, they're my hot water bottles!) Oh and cat jumps up and sleeps amongst them too, ahah.

So happy he's coming home!! Please give him a hug for me.

:) I tried not to get antsy, i really did, but i get upset when people say things that generalise all dogs when they are as varied as we are.

I'm really pleased to hear he is coming home, i've been worrying about it all weekend. I can only imagine how distraught i would be if i had been in your shoes lately. Good you have such lovely neighbours too, only a shame your boy just went too far. It's such a shame but so true that big dogs only get one chance with such power in their jaws while little dogs are just giggled at when they're little rats. (Nothing against little dogs, just ones that stir up the big ones.) There is a little mop head (at least that's what he looks like) at my park who just barks and barks all the while he's there, very frustrating!

only a shame your boy just went too far. It's such a shame but so true that big dogs only get one chance with such power in their jaws while little dogs are just giggled at when they're little rats. (Nothing against little dogs, just ones that stir up the big ones.) There is a little mop head (at least that's what he looks like) at my park who just barks and barks all the while he's there, very frustrating!

Thats it exactly shoo shoo. there was a report in one of the sydney papers a couple of years ago and, not that I believe everything in the papers, Maltese were in the top 5 for "attacking" people, it was just that they were small dogs that you dont hear of these things...

I am a dog lover...but I also have kids, so, I am very glad to see the Victorian laws changed. I don't believe I would ever get over losing a child to a dog, nor would I ever forgive the dog owner.

shooshoo - there was no play fighting/wrestling involved. I made a typo in that post it was supposed to me no instead l typed my.
As for the sleeping on my bed, that was our choice this happened for 2 years before the attack on the other dog and the trainer had no imput into that whatso ever. As with you, as long as he mpved if he was asked, then that was fine. Also as with you, the dog was not struck with anything, Verbal comand was all it took. Change the tone to get the desired response.

I NOW believe that dogs have 2 chances. The first is when you allow then to enter your home and your family. The second is the first time they bite/attack anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back