COVID-19 virus

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nuttylizardguy, Mar 12, 2020.

?
  1. I have it.

2.6%
  2. Very scared.

2.6%
  3. Somewhat scared.

2.6%
  4. Quite worried ( trying to distance , avoiding crowds , and adding some stuff to pantry JIC )

30.8%
  5. Not concerned but watching local developments .

35.9%
  6. Over stated by media scaremungering , business as usual for me.

33.3%
  7. What is it.

2.6%
  8. I'm in quaranteen and think I might be infected.

2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. nuttylizardguy

nuttylizardguy Well-Known Member

Just wondering what others think of this .

Personally, I'm in the camp of watchful vigilance ( ABC & SBS , WHO are my sources , I think 7,9 and 10 networks and papers are drumming up the fear level and COVID-19 paranoia so I am not watching or reading their news sites.

I am simply staying away from crowds and strangers. Not sure if I'll avail myself of a flu jab (even if it's free, unless I can get the GP to come to my home , I think doctors' surgeries are a very dangerous place to visit regards risk of catching Covid-19 , or even the flu ).

I usually have a freezer full of frozen meats ( seafood = prawns, fish) and steak and mince , and tinned stuff like sardines, soups, etc and Golden Circle tinned pineapple etc in the pantry ( especially for over winter when warm soups are a nice meal ).
    So not been buying anything extra , and no , not been stockpiling dunny paper , face tissues and face masks.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  2. RoryBreaker

RoryBreaker Well-Known Member

:)[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MANNING, alichamp and dragonlover1 like this.
  3. nuttylizardguy

I'm just an old fart so I've not got a clue who they are or what that image means unless it's "just get stoned / high" and ignore it.

4. Herptology

Herptology Well-Known Member

I can’t stand people who are like “it’s not as bad as people make it out to be, tuberculosis kills wayyyyy more people a year”

Yea, tuberculosis has also been around for 100s of years, cv19 has been around for just over a month

WizardFromAus- likes this.
  5. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Very Well-Known Member

It isn't as bad as people are making it out to be, you can be vaccinated for TB you can't yet be vaccinated for Coronavirus so the comparison isn't legit... my mum is a doctor at the Toowoomba Base and they all had a meeting last Sunday where it was mentioned that within the next couple of years EVERY Australian will have contracted this... it's inevitable and that it's not something anyone needs to be obsessively freaking out over. The same old usual "those with underlying health issues will be adversely affected by it"... "the very young and very old. Young healthy fit people with half a decent immunity will fight this infection off on their own just like any strand of the flu." I for one am not freaking out over the Coronavirus at all... the media has a lot to answer for, for all the hype and scaremongering. The scariest part of the Coronavirus is how it's exposed the extensive stupidity of the general public. Australia is the laughing stock of the world right now... hoarding toilet paper and selling it on eBay for $1,000+/roll. Utterly ridiculous.. people pulling knives and getting tasered by cops for fighting over toilet paper. What a joke. The only thing anyone needs to be concerned about is what it's done to the economy... my Super took a hit of around 50k... that pissed me off more than if I'd actually caught the damn virus and had to take 2 weeks off work.

6. Blighty

Blighty Not so new Member

12 years at my current workplace and in that time I can count my sick days taken on 1 hand. I have enough accrued leave I could afford to get back-to-back infections and still receive my pay.

Bring on a holiday I say.

But no, I have no concerns for my health other than how agitated I feel when I get man-flu.

7. Flaviemys purvisi

17 years at my current workplace and I'm in the same boat.... I'm currently taking every Friday off starting last Friday for the next 2 months just for some R&R.

8. Sdaji

Sdaji APS Veteran APS Veteran

The virus is bad but not that bad. If no one freaked out or panicked, this wouldn't really do too much. Not to downplay the loss of lives, but in the greater scheme of things it wouldn't be a big deal.

In reality, people will freak out and panic. This will make the great financial crisis of 2008 look like losing a fiver. This year will get pretty ugly.

In Australia most people should get through okay though. Superannuation will certainly drop (there's a lot more to come) and people will lament it, but it'll recover over the following years. The economy will be significantly affected and it will change the rest of this century, but after a few years people won't really associate the situation with Mr. Corona, there won't be a comparison, we won't ever see the world that would have been without it, so we won't think much of it.

We'll have disruptions to schools, public events and some industries, but most people in Australia will pull through it. Some individuals will lose their businesses or jobs, a few will get rich, a few will die.

Most importantly, snake keeping should continue on more or less as usual.

Shikito123 likes this.
  9. nuttylizardguy

I don't call healthcare professionals HEALTHSCARE professionals for nothing.

Comparisons with the Spanish Flu are stupid.

10. kankryb

kankryb Active Member

I live in Copenhagen, Denmark and we have gone in shut down mode, people send home from work, school is closed and you are to avoid contact with other people

11. dragonlover1

dragonlover1 Subscriber Subscriber

I am an old fart too but I know that "The Cure" is a famous rock band.
    I am a truck driver who delivers all the crap that people buy on the interweb so I deal with more than 50 people each day, I have no idea who has travelled recently so I have to take everyone at face value. I wash my hands several times a day and use alcohol wipes occasionally on my MDT but who knows if this is really effective?

RoryBreaker likes this.
  12. nuttylizardguy

Still never heard of them. They could do with haircuts.

reptileandsodaz likes this.
  13. alichamp

alichamp Active Member

The Cure are bloody legends.
    Also this...

dragonlover1 and RoryBreaker like this.
  14. RoryBreaker

We need to lighten the mood.

We should hijack thread into a repository of bat sh!t crazy conspiracy theories.

Give us your best...post away :)

15. Herptology

Herptology Well-Known Member

It was a plan by the higher up overlords to cull half chinas population but it backfired when spread outside of China

One of many theories of my workmates o_O

MANNING likes this.
  16. nuttylizardguy

:confused:It was spread by Trump's goons , supposed to turn the infected in zombies but hasn't worked.

17. Sdaji

Sdaji APS Veteran APS Veteran

That's impressively stupid! I haven't heard anything which would top that.

I'll say though, it's an engineered virus. Not necessarily a bioweapon, maybe just a research strain which could have been for any of a large number of purposes, or perhaps a bioweapon prototype (unlikely?), but it didn't come out of the forest, it came out of a lab. That also doesn't mean it was deliberately released, it could have been accidental (in which case certainly from the virus lab right where it started). If I had to guess I'd say it was an accidental release. Plenty of theories going around about who released it and why, most of them are pretty nuts.

There are various pieces of evidence which make it obvious it came out of a lab. SARS, MERS, swine flu, H1N1, H2N1, they all had the sources quickly identified and reporte (bat to civet to human, camel, pigs, poultry) even though the genetic technology and reference databases were tiny at the time. Now the technology is far, far more advanced, stone age space age type difference, but no origin story to be seen, despite how easy it would be to find it if there actually was a natural origin. The various governments are also not denying it, they just say things like 'it's dangerous to say these things' (which indeed it is, the panic would dramatically increase if people were openly told it was an engineered virus, not that it actually makes it worse).

18. Shaughan

Shaughan Not so new Member

I find it all not to concerning it come out just be for the change of seasons so it's that time of year people r going to get the common cold and that's going to make every even more scared because they will think they have conva 19 lol
    Write now I have a normal cold and live in a area full of Chinese people I cough they run away so it makes shopping and going out very easy lol
    I also work in construction and me and one other boy on the job have a cold and the hole job site makes fun of the virus conva 19 none of use a scared of it but every time me and the young kid cough or sneeze all the works say corona virus where all going to die and we watch some people run and pack there tools up and head home.
    In that case where all just treating it like a joke and making fun of those how go over bored with it like the people who buy all the toilet paper and pasta and never leave there homes.
    We say just live your life like normal and wash your hands a little more

I found this funny

20200314_075405.jpg

20200314_075405.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  19. Flaviemys purvisi

Didn't the Coronavirus first appear in the 1960's??? Before bioweapons...

20. RoryBreaker

The memes are all over it.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk