COVID-19 virus

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nuttylizardguy, Mar 12, 2020.

?
  1. I have it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Very scared.

4.2%
  3. Somewhat scared.

4.2%
  4. Quite worried ( trying to distance , avoiding crowds , and adding some stuff to pantry JIC )

33.3%
  5. Not concerned but watching local developments .

33.3%
  6. Over stated by media scaremungering , business as usual for me.

45.8%
  7. What is it.

4.2%
  8. I'm in quaranteen and think I might be infected.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CF Constrictor

CF Constrictor Not so new Member

Just give it time !

2. nuttylizardguy

nuttylizardguy Well-Known Member

Chemists and Covid calls to self isolate and if infected / suspected infected orders to self quarantine.

Lack of service : local and national online Chemist Warehouse are not doing home deliveries of med or scripts TO ANY ONE ( I was told this by the local Charlestown store ) , simply said come to store and get in person or get someone else to do that for us.

I told the local manager that is totally unacceptable as it forces those who are under orders to quarantine , self isolating vulnerable people to break their isolation and mix ( a lot via public transport ) who may not have anyone who is trustworthy enough or helpful enough to fill the scripts buy the meds on their behalf and it go to the shops where they are running a clear and present risk of exposure to contaminated surfaces and strangers of unknown covid19 status. NOT BLOODY GOOD ENOUGH.

Fortunately I have found a chemist who is happy to home deliver (AMCAL) to our front patio or letter box.
    All organized , paying over phone.
    Photos of scripts emailed , they'll take them away when they come to do delivery.
    One box of Panadol (any type) per purchase .
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 26, 2020 at 3:45 PM, Original Post Date: Mar 26, 2020 at 10:00 AM ---
    Not sure if this has been explained by the CMO or PM or Premier ( name your state or territory ).
    [​IMG]

and

[​IMG]
    from http://cec.health.nsw.gov.au/__data...2512/ANZICS-COVID-19-Guidelines-Version-1.pdf

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 3:51 PM
  3. dragonlover1

dragonlover1 Subscriber Subscriber

You can't have it both ways , remember when K.Rudd gave out $900 , it was only for people who had put in a tax return; so people like me who had a job got it but people like my brother who had a stroke and was in hospital for months got nothing, ditto pensioners and dole recipients.
    This time you are getting cash while we miss out.Not a problem.The point you seem to miss is most of the people suddenly without work have no fallback as they are casual workers with no holiday pay and are probably renters at the mercy of greedy landlords.
    Someone will always complain but you have no right after all the landscaping you have been doing you are obviously not short of a quid

-Adam- and Sdaji like this.
  4. nuttylizardguy

I'll point out I'm a self funded early retiree (not rich , no monster super nest egg, no big bundles of shares, no huge term deposits, no rental properties) .
    I've worked in the gig style , consultant on contract FIFO engineer ( liked the 3 figure hourly but hated FIFO and didn't like 12 hr shifts , the pressure and stress and lack of support ) , gave it away to return to uni and become an academic.

Only reason I'm comfortable is I've been debt free for several years , and like the feeling.
    Only reason I was able to retire early was I'd paid for the house and owned the car because I managed my money sensibly and resisted urges and peer pressure to buy up on new stuff and unnecessary consumer products and upgrade every few years like a consumerism drone.
    Budgeting and zero indeptedness and owning the home are the keys to a comfortable retirement.

I can see the unfairness because I don't live in a bubble and I know and regularly associate with people who are pensioners on DSP and Aged Pension , and a few older guys who are too young to retire who have no choice but take the Dole who have bugger all savings and are ACTUALLY living it very tough ( I see their situation first hand when I visit them ) and they don't know from one day to next if they can even eat having long since used all their savings ( a large chunk being expenses connected attending job interviews which they'll never recover ) and in paying rent and utilities and maintaining home mortgages (several for several years) and just to live a very restricted and basic life and have literally zero prospect of getting off the dole.
    A lot of aussies are in for a very nasty education about life as non self funded pensioner or as "dole bludger" : btw there is no such thing as a "dole bludger" and no one on DSP or the dole wants to stay on it .

Try living on the DOLE , DSP or aged pension , especially while there are dependent children in the home and if you DONT OWN your home , or car and have no savings
    FYI from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/
    DSP married couple $1,297.40 per fortnight.
    Age pension married couple $1,273.60 per fortnight.
    Carer payment married couple $1,297.40 per fortnight.
    Dole for a couple $510.80 each,$612.00 single w dependent child , per fortnight .
    Changes to these as show here
    https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.a...eady-get-payment-from-us-coronavirus-covid-19
    While new unemployed get
    https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/subjects/affected-coronavirus-covid-19

c/w minimum wage .
    The national minimum wage is currently $19.49 per hour or $740.80 per 38 hour week (before tax).
    Casual employees covered by the national minimum wage also get at least a 25% casual loading.
    And people know that's impossible to live on.

While I have sympathy for those who are being thrown out of work due to covid-19 restrictions, I have much more sympathy for those who have been trying to survive on the dole , DSP and aged pensions over through the last 3 lots of federal governments (Labor and Lib/Nat) who have all done virtually nothing meaningful to improve the liveability of these payments ( and refuse to do so )..

Sure these unfortunate people who are being stood down , retrenched or having their jobs ( casuals especially) disappearing are UNDERSTANDABLY now very scared for their financial futures and wellbeing , and this will have disasterous and unrecoverable impacts on their superannuation savings unless they are very young and have decades to recover , they will have big drops in income, and still have rents , loan repayments , mortgages ( unless the federal government orders repayment and rental holidays and makes it illegal for now to evict people from their homes ) , plus untilities to pay for , and their usual way of life has been destroyed . Not nice, very scary , and anyone who's had the misfortune to have to deal will attest it's not pleasant dealing with the jacked up little hitlers in every centrelink and jobnetwork office and it's a very demeaning experience and hard to jump through the beaurocratic hoops they will throw down at their feet and will expect them to continue jumping through ( is very easy to have benefits stopped for weeks for trivial reasons , ie being a few minutes late for an jobnetwork or centrelink appointment ).
    They are fortunate that we have a universial safetynet (even if it's inadequate regards dole , pensions , is a poverty trap that's extremely hard to get out off once in it) and they are not living working in the USA.

They will have to learn to budget and I believe they'll never be as free spending again if they end up having jobs to return to , something that's not by any means a given.
    (Lots of small businesses will collapse and never reboot, most major employers will end up taking the opportunity to restructure ( everyone knows that always involves scrapping workers ( often in large numbers ) and they will also change their focus.)

This is what comes from living the high life , living beyond their real means wrt income levels , and not planning / saving for unforeseen circumstances , and taking way too much debt (exactly what happened in much of the world in the GFC & GD ( 1920s ) where people were over leveraged and told to spend spend spend , much of it on the never never ( take and use those goodies now , pay later ) ,and the shift to a casual , part-time , contractor model of employment which really only benefits the employer and leaves the workers exposed and vulnerable to exactly what we are seeing on all our TVs now.
    This is something that's been warned about ( bubble bursting suddenly and unexpectedly ).
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 27, 2020 at 1:44 PM, Original Post Date: Mar 26, 2020 at 10:08 PM ---
    upload_2020-3-27_15-14-22.png

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 2:36 PM
  5. dragonlover1

dragonlover1 Subscriber Subscriber

I wasn't implying you are a millionaire just not short, and it's good that you are sensible with your money (as am I) but the point I was making is all these people suddenly without incomes are part of the must have it now generation. They have never seen the hard times that we and earlier generations went through and haven't learned how to budget or save for a rainy day and with all the easy finance and pay later deals have far too much debt. Compared with people already on benefits who have learned to adapt to low incomes ( not saying this is good but they have adapted).
    I have an uncle in Newcastle (where I'm from) who just went from dole to pension as he's 65 who is so much better off than he was last week, he'll never be well off but he will do okay

6. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Very Well-Known Member

7. nuttylizardguy

That's entirely on their parents and their teachers who NEVER instilled on them the need to set something aside and make do with what they have and only replace stuff if it's really in need of replacement.

Yeh , I spent some time on the dole after the 1982 BHP restructure ( returned to uni and changed careers ( chemist -> engineer + maths )) , and again in 1999 when the steelworks was shutdown ( returned to uni to do another double degree ( engineering + physics ) , then a masters and doctorate .) Was not easy having to live on a tiny income while raising a young family , but at least I'd discharged my home mortgages in 1999 ( best financial decision I've ever made ).
    Not borrowed a cent since. All my recent home improvements were funded entirely from my savings.
    In both cases it took me next to no time to decide how to turn becoming unemployed into an opportunity to improve myself, my credentials and training and employability.
    No use feeling sorry for themselves , make use of the down time to do something constructive .

1 million Australians have lost their jobs in last week. ( Australian labor force is 13.125 million ).
    An increase literally overnight of 7.6%. So unemployment rate has jumped from 779k to 1.779 million , just under 14% , and this is early days.
    There is multiplier effect that works when mass layoffs and retrenchments happen , for every person who joins the dole queue, there will be 3 or 4 others who soon follow them onto the very same queue because the new people on the dole very soon run out of savings and max out their credit cards and promptly have no choice but to curtail their old spending habits , so less money is in circulation ==> less services and goods being bought ==> more end up out of jobs , a chain reaction happens that ends up for 3 or 4 more per person jobless.

Is very easy where see where this is going to go very quickly , and keep in mind unemployment passed 30% in the 1920s GD and at that time the safety net was very harsh and even more limited and people actually starved and many Australian men became homeless nomads ( government policy forced this ).
    The stories of about living through the GD told by my grandfathers, uncles and dad , and older teachers , and the dads of childhood friends were very educational and I took the lessons they learnt onboard.

Most of them will never have their jobs offered back to them when things have started renormalizing, anyone who they will is deluding themselves and talking a load of BS..

Very few of them will find work anytime soon , and a large proportion will never work again ( in any capacity ) this is how going on the dole works here and has worked for at least 30 years. Their best plan will be to retrain , or to upskill. Buying into a franchise rarely succeeds , and very new startups as small businesses ( where you create your own job ) become successful , most fail. They will need to be open to relocating , perhaps interstate to find one of those very scarce job opportunities and likely to be in an entirely different industry.

A lesson I learnt way back in the 80s was this, dump the private health insurance as soon as you loose the job. That money is better spent doing more useful things such as :
    > returning to tafe or uni to upskill / retrain
    > setting up a veggie patch
    > and living.
    Private health insurance is luxury and an regular expense they do not need and a ripoff. Another reason why they are lucky to be Australians, a very good universial hospital and health safety net.
    Dump the Ambulence cover too. Their Health Care card will cover this.

Lessons these new million dole reciprients will learn very quickly are centrelink staff don't give a rats and wont take excuses ( they will breech you at the drop of a hat , and appeals rarely reverse the breech decision ), the rules they will have tp follow are very inflexible ( and non-negotiable ) , trivial things result in payments stopped for several weeks or permanently . there is no such thing as a helpful "jobseeker plan" , it's one shoe fits all , they will after a short while to forced into slavery ( work for the dole ) and this is not voluntary and it will provide zero training and is worthless in making them more employable , THEY WILL be discriminated against and judged in a very negative light by most.

--- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 28, 2020 at 12:17 AM, Original Post Date: Mar 27, 2020 at 11:22 PM ---
    Nearly all of these people end up very unhappy, with nothing and with relationships with their siblings and family and "mates" destroyed.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020 at 1:04 PM
    Ropey likes this.
  8. Flaviemys purvisi

With 80 million in the bank I wouldn't need friends or family. If they all wanted to be pricks, so be it... I'd be too busy relaxing on my new privately owned island to give a damn. Chris Jansen said it best with his song "Buy me a boat"

I ain't rich, but I damn sure wanna be
    Working like a dog all day, ain't working for me
    I wish I had a rich uncle that'd kick the bucket
    And that I was sitting on a pile like Warren Buffett
    I know everybody says
    Money can't buy happiness

But it could buy me a boat, it could buy me a truck to pull it
    It could buy me a Yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets
    Yeah, and I know what they say
    Money can't buy everything
    Well, maybe so,
    But it could buy me a boat

They call me redneck, white trash and blue collar
    But I could change all that if I had a couple million dollars
    I keep hearing that money is the root of all evil
    And you can't fit a camel through the eye of a needle
    I'm sure that's probably true,
    But it still sounds pretty cool

'Cause it could buy me a boat, it could buy me a truck to pull it
    Yeah, and I know what they say,
    Well, maybe so,

To float down on the water with a beer
    I hear the Powerball Lotto is a-sitting' on a hundred mill
    Well, that would buy me a brand new rod and reel

And it could buy me a boat, it could buy me a truck to pull it
    Well, maybe so,
    Well, maybe so,

It could buy me a boat

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020 at 4:15 AM
    nuttylizardguy likes this.
  9. nuttylizardguy

Or perhaps buy a seat on the next rocket to the ISS and stay there til all this is over …..ie leave the planet for a while.

--- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 28, 2020 at 8:20 AM, Original Post Date: Mar 28, 2020 at 8:12 AM ---
    This is very interesting , it explains how people who know science and maths ( math-geeks, science-geeks, engineers and boffins like me ) are able to interpret exponential epidemiology curves at a glance especially if graphed semi-log and log-log .

Finally got dunny paper, paper towels, self raising flour, long and medium white rice , Panadol & seed raising mix.

--- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 28, 2020 at 10:54 AM ---
    It can take several hours for a jet to travel from some remote airports in Australia the nearest major regional or metro airport. If RFDS has to transfer a person in a critical condition , multiply that time by 2 or 3 to do a pickup , rescue and transfer to a major centre as an air critical care ambulance service, when time is of the essence this will cost lives..

I've suggested via ABC 730 report story tip GUI using RAAF and currently idle regional airline aircraft to boost the capacity of RFDS to help isolated communities.
    Maybe some of those 737s and airbuses should be converted to rapid response hospital ICU planes . If a remote community has it's medical facilities overrun , fly one in with ICU beds and ventilators onboard and treat the locals on board at the local airport .

Watching PBS on SBS .
    People who have no insurance are being refused treatment and turned away and are dying untreated in the USA. One word for that - MURDER.
    USA is now the covid-19 epicenter.
    NY needs 30,000 ventilators for ICU.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 28, 2020 at 1:55 PM ---

Australia Post announces launch of Pharmacy Home Delivery Service amid coronavirus crisis
    https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...oronavirus-crisis/ar-BB11Ospw?ocid=spartandhp
    ABout time.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 29, 2020 at 2:40 PM ---
    The scrums at Woolworths and Coles for the seniors & disabled special access crack of dawn hours are stupid and likely helping covid spread.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...frontline-workers/ar-BB11QjYN?ocid=spartandhp

Woolworths will accept your registration for the covid priority online home delivery service if you have a SENIORS CARD, this is a good move IMO as seniors are all at higher risk.

Projections for Australia for out of control pandemic where most people do not socially distance and socially isolate ( if vulnerable ) or quarantine as required
    [​IMG]
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03...id-19-icu-beds-ventilators-hospitals/12090420
    Doesn't take much brains to see covid is way worse than 'the flu" and even if ONLY 20% of Australians are infected with covid , the death toll will be staggeringly terrible ( about the same as in WWII ).
    If 20% ICU patient die of covid respiratory failure complications ( lack of lung machines ) , is a very easy estimate to work out deaths will be = 0.2 x ( 256.3k - 161.4k ) for 20% infected = 93,000 for a population of 27 million.Will be more as the peak will be over a period of maybe 4 months to 6 months.
    That's terrifying and it's an optimistic scenario if Australia doesn't get covid-19 under control.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 29, 2020 at 6:23 PM ---
    Government wants us all to use https://www.whatsapp.com/

OK installed on my phone and PC , what is WhatsApp going to be useful to do or for ?

I hoped it would be something where you can register your status
    ie
    self isolating
    under quarantine
    address
    phone number
    email address
    and a one stop place to register for the dole, telehealth, if you have special help needs if infirm or sick or disabled , online ordering for delivery of essentials and meds and scripts, meals on wheels , check calls
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 29, 2020 at 8:05 PM ---
    Status of covid in Australia (ie where to avoid going if you MUST travel)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How Australia's epidemiology curve compares with other countries
    https://www1.health.gov.au/internet...aedt_14_march_to_23_59_aedt_22_march_2020.pdf[​IMG]
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 30, 2020 at 2:04 AM ---
    Thank your lucky stars you don't live in the USA under the Buffoon In Charge (Trump), this what they have to look forward to if he takes his foot off the break in 2 weeks.

Saw this terrifying graphic for what would happen if the buffoon in charge gets his way and takes his foot off the break too soon …
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/25/opinion/coronavirus-trump-reopen-america.html
    [​IMG]
    This would mean countries who are taking strong action will likely have to ban USA citisens from travelling to work or visit in their countries for way longer than 6 months , more likely 12 months or until a vaccine is available.
    The model suggests that 202.4 million people could contract coronavirus across the United States between January and late October, with 78 million at the peak on May 26. More than 8.1 million people would die under these conditions and 194.1 million people would recover.)

Modeled by Dr. Tara C. Smith, an epidemiologist.
    I bet a lot of yanks are wishing they never voted him in , regretting they didn't impeach him.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020 at 2:11 AM
  10. Flaviemys purvisi

11. RoryBreaker

RoryBreaker Well-Known Member

12. nuttylizardguy

Seven people taken to hospital for assessment after boat catches alight off The Bluff at Encounter Bay
    https://www.victorharbortimes.com.a...t-as-it-catches-alight-off-the-bluff/?cs=1537

Ummm, 7 people crammed into a small run about , wtf ?

What were they thinking ( if they had a single functioning braincell between the lot of them ) ?

I hope the cops who attended fined every one of them for a blatant breach of the covid distancing and covid group restriction rules that most of us are doing our best to observe.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 31, 2020 at 10:31 PM, Original Post Date: Mar 31, 2020 at 10:04 PM ---
    sure has been an Annus horribilis.

Be thankful if YOU still have a job . You will become a member of a small minority of Australians (who kept their jobs) for the foreseeable future , likely into 2021 and beyond.

Saw this : https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03...siness-bill-relief-package-explained/12107856
    Something like this needs to be rolled out in ALL states.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Apr 1, 2020 at 1:45 PM ---

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-01/coronavirus-cruise-ship-artania-refusing-to-leave-fremantle-port/12110206 this is BS.

WhyTF are the State and Fed government ( BF, RAN ) pussyfooting about with these foreign cruise ships still , if we are under self imposed maritime blockade ( closure ) this needs to be strictly enforced by RAAF and RAN assets , and none of these ships allowed to dock or even drop anchor in our waters .
    Are enemy ships allowed in our waters during a war ? No .

Federal government has been gutless on this and we've had most of our Covid19 infections spread far and wide as fkn result.

Australian LIVES have to be THE ONLY priority here , else we risk an even worse pandemic here as result.
    These ships need to taken responsibility for they the nations whose flags they sail under.

The WA state government should order Fremantle Port Corp , the WA Police , require the RAN to
    > cut the cables
    > arrest the captain ( remove him from command ) and take command of the ship ( forceably using lethal force if necessary if the crew resists )
    > tow the ship out of the port where the RAN takes command to
    > either tow or escort the ship under it's own power out of Australian waters and monitor it to ensure they actually go away and stay away.
    and thereby send a strong signal that this BS wont be tolerated.

The RAAF and RAN need to be enforcing the blockade of our territorial waters to ensure only necessary maritime movements ( freight , oil , and exports ) happen.

Only people allowed off should be those who are critically sick and then only if we have surplus ICU capacity .
    These ships can all be refueled & reprovisioned at sea by international naval vessels, and critically ill passengers taken off by naval helicopter or naval fast response boats ( straight to medical isolation in ventilation on board the naval ship if it's got the capability ( helicopter flight deck )).
    Lots of us have seen The Last Ship. If Hollywood dills can dream up how to do this on a naval ship , then it's not that hard to do.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020 at 2:18 PM