COVID-19 virus

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nuttylizardguy, Mar 12, 2020.

?
  1. I have it.

2.6%
  2. Very scared.

2.6%
  3. Somewhat scared.

2.6%
  4. Quite worried ( trying to distance , avoiding crowds , and adding some stuff to pantry JIC )

30.8%
  5. Not concerned but watching local developments .

35.9%
  6. Over stated by media scaremungering , business as usual for me.

33.3%
  7. What is it.

2.6%
  8. I'm in quaranteen and think I might be infected.

2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Herptology

Herptology Well-Known Member

A friends friend works in emergency services and supposedly “tomorrow” 17/3 there’s going to be a announcement for complete lockdown starting on Monday

And they’re keeping it quiet

Sounds like bs to me but who knows won’t be long before we find out

2. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Very Well-Known Member

And we wonder why our governments don't come clean on issues like ALIENS etc... look how people carry on over a virus...

3. nuttylizardguy

nuttylizardguy Well-Known Member

If it prevents the hospitals from being overwhelmed then I think it's got to be done ( sooner is going to be much better than later - it's all about reducing the size of the peak in the "pandemic curve" so it stays under the maximum safe capacity of our hospital system to provide quaranteened HD and IC beds .

If it happens I'm glad I've got a well stocked pantry ( with tins of soup, packets of cup - of - soup, baked beans and the like, pasta, flour, rice, sardines, tinned pineapple , tinned apple , etc ) , and a well stocked freezer full of seafood ( was set aside for Easter ) and mince and steaks . So only stuff we'll need will be bread ( but push come to shove we can bake our own in the oven ) , milk , and vegs .

There are a lot of anxious people out there and some of them are reptile keepers and a lot of these are oldies like me ( over 60 yo ) and covid-19 is very dangerous to older people if they catch it.

My advise would be LOOK AFTER NUMBER ONE ( and YOUR FAMILY ) by doing your due diligence regards getting some nutritious tinned or frozen food in ( maybe an extra week worth ? ) , and social distance as much as possible , if you get the sniffles stay home (no one will appreciate your toughing it out and soldiering on) .

Better safe than sorry.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  4. dragonlover1

dragonlover1 Subscriber Subscriber

Like you I am over 60 and have a small supply of tinned and frozen food, maybe 2 weeks worth but I am a truck driver who faces about 50 people per day. Who knows who has returned from OS ? I certainly don't ! Apart from people possibly giving me the virus , I worry about finding fresh food for my hatchie dragons if forced into lockdown, and now the expo's have been cancelled I can't sell any of them so I will be overwhelmed with ever growing lizards who will need more enclosures which I don't have and don't have room for anyway. I know I'm not the only one but this pandemic is gonna cause a lot of flow on problems for a lot of people

5. Herptology

Herptology Well-Known Member

I have frozen rats for when times are REALLY bad

6. CF Constrictor

CF Constrictor Active Member

There isn't a lot of meat on them , i hope you had the sence to panic buy them in bulk :)

7. nuttylizardguy

Tough situation for you in both ways.

Covid-19 exposure is now a serious OHS issue for you in your job , you should take it up with your union and your boss ( boss needs to supply you with N95 surgical masks perhaps and antibiotic handwipes or surgical gloves ).

Perhaps you will have to sell your hatchlings entirely online while this covid-19 "pandemic" emergency plays out , or on consignment with a local reptile authorized pet shop.
    ( I think Livefoods still have silkworms , maybe buy a hundred or so and let some of them become moths , harvest the eggs ( store most in the fridge in zip lock bags ) and hatch a 1000 or so at a time to keep your hatchlings supplied with suitable sized silkworms).
    Maybe a woodie colony and or a cricket colony. I don't know how hard it's to farm BSFL in sufficient numbers.
    Maybe also start growing some greens in a few small raised beds or big pots to keep them supplied in greens ( though I don't think the supply of greens ( frozen, raw packaged and at the supermarket ) is not likely to become an issue).
    120L tubs are very cheap at Bunnings and easy to convert to rearing tubs ( as your little hatchlings get older and bigger ).
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 17, 2020, Original Post Date: Mar 17, 2020 ---
    ONLY for information :
    N95 respirator / face mask is the most common of the seven types of particulate filtering facepiece respirators. This product filters at least 95% of airborne particles .

From The (USA) National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory (NPPTL) regards selection of N95 surgical masks for use by those who might be exposed to covid-95 infected persons or who are already uninfected (to contain respirable viral aerosols) https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/respsource3healthcare.html#e

Careful where you buy that mask , lots of cheap dodgey fakes for sale , mascerading as good quality N95 masks - these will not protect you.

Some advise I found
    Good luck finding individual and family sized packs of N95 masks on the shelves anywhere , be wary of ebay sellers of these.

The EU standards are as follows .

FFP1 refers to the least filtering of the three masks with an aerosol filtration of at least 80% and leakage to the inside of maximum 22%. This mask is mainly used as a dust mask (home renovations and various types of work).

•FFP2 masks have a minimum of 94% filtration percentage and maximum 8% leakage to the inside. They are mainly used in construction, agriculture, and by healthcare professionals against influenza viruses. They are currently used for protection against covid-19.
    (equiv to N95 ?)
    Good luck finding these (FFP2 or N95 grade masks) with the panic buying that's being going on .

•FFP3 masks are the most filtering mask of the FFPs. With a minimum filtration percentage of 99% and maximum 2% leakage to the inside, they protect against very fine particles such as asbestos.

The modified SARS vaccine for Covid-19 is at least 18 months away unless the testing process is accelerated.
    The bottle neck is the scale up of laboratory scale brewing of the vaccine to industrial scale brewing to supply enough doses to inoculate millions of people. This type of biochemical engineering is very difficult and requires a special custom designed and built plant (or plants in each country ) something that will take several months once the vaccine has been GEd and tested and approved.
    There is no such thing as an off the shelf industrial scale generic vaccine plant.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  8. Sdaji

Sdaji APS Veteran APS Veteran

I can say with certainty that it's engineered and almost with certainty that it's a bioweapon/prototype (it's difficult to imagine putting 4 HIV insertions into SARS for the sake of medical research of any kind, and even with one insertion, while it may be potentially valuable for medical research that would be a crazy case of pointlessly playing with fire). I can't be quite so sure it was China that made it, although it wouldn't be the first time a research strain of SARS escaped from a Chinese laboratory (for those who don't know, after the 2002 SARS outbreak, China was working with the virus in laboratories, in April 2004 it escaped the a laboratory after infecting a student, and then the next month there was another outbreak from another Chinese laboratory when a staff member working in the lab was accidentally infected and spread it to others - this is all on official record and universally recognised). It's definitely the option Occam's Razor suggests though. Obviously the Chinese will not want to pay compensation, they will presumably deny it, perhaps even if the world has conclusive proof. There are already murmers of war against China in response to this coming from the middle east. If you want to look at the tinfoil hat scenarios (some of which are plausible), it was a deliberate attack, in which case who knows what will happen. If it was an accidental release, then clearly China would legally be responsible for compensating the world. Realistically, hey, who knows what will happen in this regard even if it becomes universally accepted that China made and accidentally released it?

dragonlover1 and Yellowtail like this.
  9. GBWhite

GBWhite Well-Known Member

10. Nero Egernia

Nero Egernia Subscriber Subscriber

This guy deserves an Oscar. :D

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  11. nuttylizardguy

No , we're not all gong to die. Some of us might if we contract covid-19 and have preexisting health issues .
    Here's hoping we don't end up in a situation like what has been happening in Italy.

Morrison says the new restriction is now 100 people for unnecessary indoor gatherings.

My local post office has been closed to the public as of today, don't know is this happening at every post office .

My wife visited the supermarket to buy a loaf of bread and some meat for tonight, she reports the meat isles were nearly empty ( no snags, no mince, no cutlets, no steaks , only a few stewing cuts here and there ) , same with the eggs , veggies and most the fruit , still no dunny paper , or facial tissues or paper towels either ( at 11am ). She's never seen these isles in Coles and Woolworths so bare . No wonder people are panic buying when the shop stackers replentish these …. time to introduce rationing on staples ?

And The Square was literally nearly empty of people.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  12. GBWhite

GBWhite Well-Known Member

Derrrr...obviously no sense of humour . It's a joke.

dragonlover1 and Nero Egernia like this.
  13. Nero Egernia

Nero Egernia Subscriber Subscriber

Well, technically, we're all going to die at some point. We're not immortal.

MANNING, Josiah Rossic and GBWhite like this.
  14. nuttylizardguy

Some of us live longer than others .

15. Josiah Rossic

Josiah Rossic Active Member

This whole virus is a joke.

16. -Adam-

-Adam- Active Member

Difficult to pick a selection on the poll....

Regarding the virus itself I'm not that worried. I know it has the potential to cause death in some cases - but how many we'll only know in the end. The media love this stuff and I can't help but think that it's over rated.

Regarding the effect of the virus though is another matter. I know of companies already preparing to lay off workers sadly enough - and the ongoing affect of this has the potential to affect hundreds of thousands of people.

Seeing some of the stupidity with this virus is a joke - but the effects that is having on other innocent people is no joke at all. I'm trying to have a empathetic attitude to those that are hurting and those that are scared. Fear isn't something we choose - and it can grip some people. As for those deliberately taking advantage of this - and stocking up delivery vans and buses from supermarkets stripping shelves bare and reselling goods at inflated prices - I think it's time to bring back the cane!

17. dragonlover1

I neglected to mention I am a self employed subbie so I am my boss.
    I already carry alcohol wipes,have done for ages
    selling online is difficult because crackbook and gumtree don't allow it and I do sell some through petshops but some are already crowded and obviously this will get worse as breeders get desperate to move on their progeny
    silkworms are not easy to farm, but I do have a woodie farm and I buy crix in bulk
    Veg is hard to grow because my free range chooks like to dig them out, but frozen shouldn't be a problem
    The problem with mega tubs is I simply have no room, my house is already crowded with 30+ adult reptiles and now 9 tubs of babies which will expand as they grow
    Face masks are pretty useless as they don't prevent YOU getting the virus as it can be absorbed through the eyes and ears, face masks are for stopping you spreading the virus

18. Josiah Rossic

Josiah Rossic Active Member

Some people are just over reacting

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  19. Sdaji

Sdaji APS Veteran APS Veteran

I am very fact and logic based. I kept hearing everyone saying the media was hyping it up and scaring them, and thanking me for calming them down when I said what I had to say about it. This puzzled me for a while because the media was massively understating the problem and I was saying it was far worse than the media was (looking back 6-8 weeks, the media was being accused of scaremongering yet wasn't predicting things to get anywhere near this bad and was understating how much it would spread, etc).

Then it occurred to me that most people don't hear facts or think analytically, they primarily hear the tone. The media's 'facts' and predictions were far milder than my take in it, but their tone was alarmist and mine was matter of fact, neutral (which probably doesn't come across in text). The media has obviously been told what to say, and to say a very watered down version of the story to avoid panic, but then they say it in their usual dramatic tone, and that feel is all most people take away. Calming people down by saying we are in for a devastating near future much worse than the stories which freaked them out really showed me how lacking in critical thinking and analytical skills people are, and how amazingly emotion-based their thinking is, and it was surprising to me that this could surprise me because I've already spent decades cringing at how extreme humans are in this way. Facts and logic are irrelevant. Herd thinking and emotion are the kings. When I was a young child I couldn't even grasp the concept in The Emperor's New Clothes, but as an adult I can see that concept is more powerful than analysis, logic or evidence. If everyone in a room said 2+2=5, I think most people in that situation would agree. If people think that most people in a room believe 2+2=5, that's the answer they will give and believe, even if no one has said it yet. Most people would literally die before their subconscious allowed their conscious to oppose the crowd. I've been seeing examples of this in people this week as the situation intensifies.

Most importantly, I'm still hopeful that most people will be able to go on keeping their snakes.

20. dragonlover1

It's absolutely crazy out there, I went to the shops to get some mince,spaghetti and an onion to make spaghetti bog. There was no pasta of any description,no mince or sausages,no bread, no long life milk,no water. Not that I wanted any of these but the empty shelves just stood out