COVID-19 virus

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nuttylizardguy, Mar 12, 2020.

?
  1. I have it.

2.6%
  2. Very scared.

2.6%
  3. Somewhat scared.

2.6%
  4. Quite worried ( trying to distance , avoiding crowds , and adding some stuff to pantry JIC )

30.8%
  5. Not concerned but watching local developments .

35.9%
  6. Over stated by media scaremungering , business as usual for me.

33.3%
  7. What is it.

2.6%
  8. I'm in quaranteen and think I might be infected.

2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Shaughan

Shaughan Not so new Member

There's been no pasta for a bit now and long life has been gone as well still got meat up at auburn

2. mrkos

mrkos Well-Known Member

If there is a country that needs a diet and a cull of stupid ignorant people I am calling Australia or USA as most needed. Hate to say it but we have lost our fighting spirit and we are ripe for new world order to many years of abundant food and good living has made us soft now all we do is blame our governments for bad weather and when times get tough

Ropey likes this.
  3. nuttylizardguy

nuttylizardguy Well-Known Member

worth a listen
    https://www.abc.net.au/radio/progra...s-really-start-spoiler-not-a-cia-lab/12062910
    , if it's not a scientific source or medical source where you are picking up the fake news or propaganda ( conspiracy theory ) from , it's bulldust.

I think the government needs to bite the bullet and shutdown areas where clusters happen and test everyone with a sniffle , perhaps everyone in that area.

Also 2 weeks quarantine doesn't cut it, as can be seen from the failure to contain this so far. We need to be requiring a minimum of 3 weeks , perhaps even 4 weeks under quarantine ( 4 weeks looks like mean + 3 sigma point in the curve to detect covid-19 cases with 99% certainty).

Really need to stop allowing Australians who are currently out of the country from returning, in need be put them up in the local embassy or a resort under quarantine until proven clear , maybe even until the pandemic comes under control or a vaccine becomes available because atm only about 10% of cases are locally infected , all the rest are travelers or family of travelers or colleagues or students or customers / patients of them.
    Allowing potentially infected Australians back into the country at this time is clearly not helping the situation and a big part for why countries like Italy , USA and Australia are experiencing such an steep exponential rise and very clearly explains the temporal step changes in the curve to date.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 18, 2020, Original Post Date: Mar 18, 2020 ---
    Beauty with mega tubs is they can be stacked and are very light and easy to move and lift. No reason why you couldn't have them in stacks 3 high or 4 high depending on how tall you are.
    All you need is an electric soldering iron to make two sets of ventilation holes ( high + low sets ) , very easy to fit an exo terra nano hood under the lid (to hold a 26W UVB200 or equiv), a heatpad sandwiched between tiles will give a warm place to bask , or maybe dangle a low wattage halogen globe from under the lid , entirely stackable.

Chooks can be excluded with a bit of chook wire and y-stakes.

I've been doing silkworms eggs to moths to eggs for several years, only stopped at xmas 2019 because had a house ant problem at the time. Dead easy to raise and farm , just time consuming keeping them in a mold free container and keeping them fed.

If I were doing your line of work I'd be waring at respirator style N95 (at least) face mask every time I make a delivery or pickup to protect myself from covid -19 .
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 19, 2020 ---
    ht

4. Sdaji

Sdaji APS Veteran APS Veteran

I'm noticing most people in Australia can't say a situation is really bad without panicking, and most Australians can't understand that it's possible for others to do so. In the last few weeks if I talk about this in person, people think I'm pretty level headed, but in text they think I'm freaking out. After spending most of the last 6 years in countries where serious disasters are fairly normal, and people calmly tell me about bombs killing their families, military conflict being close enough to their home to make it difficult to sleep, starvation killing family members, etc, and them still calmly carrying on with life, it really has made me see that Australians need a wake up call, and this is definitely going to provide it.

Interestingly, in countries where disaster and severe hardship are common, things are still pretty normal now. A friend in South Africa just sent me pictures and videos, everything is just normal, people are getting on with normal life. My friends in Vietnam are concerned but despite it being extremely poor with an extremely densely packed population, food is still readily available and people are calm, in areas where in living memory there was open military conflict, tanks rolling down the street, etc.

dragonlover1 and -Adam- like this.
  5. -Adam-

-Adam- Active Member

I think it's fine to allow Australian's back into the country -but I do not believe they should be let go on their own recognizance, but rather should have a mandatory quarantine period. It's unfortunate - but already previous events have proven that we can't trust each other to do the right thing by the rest of the country. I agree with you that 2 weeks isn't long enough from what I've heard about the infection of this virus, but if tests were done at the start and end of quarantine and both negative - wouldn't that be safe?

With respect, just because a source is scientific or medical doesn't necessarily prove anything either. I have knowledge of what's happening in the medical industry at the moment - how medical practitioners are under threat if they don't tow the line in certain areas - even if they don't believe and have concern. I connect personally and closely with numerous people in the medical industry - and what they share in confidence that they can't share as a practitioner really concerns me. There is a lot of control going on.

A more public example of this would be gender dysphoria. Likewise I have heard testimonies of scientists that disagreed with conclusions based on the ozone layer predictions, global warming, etc (now retired so they've been able to share their concerns) that knew they had to tow the line if they wanted to keep their jobs too.

This isn't to say that they were right and that the general trend was wrong - it's simply to point out that there is control from the top down in what can and can't be said through those industries as well which to me leaves those industries questionable as well when it comes to being absolute authoritative on what's happened without questioning them with facts that are made available.

It's exactly the reason why I don't go to the news to get my information, but I search various sources and connect with people in the industry and use other means including forums where I can see people challenge statements, and debate issues and make my conclusions based on the merits of the information given, instead of being spoon fed by people who want to control the flow of information.

As Sdaji mentioned - there's a lot that lines up with this being manufactured - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this is a plausible possibility. There's no conspiracy needed in that, although the word conspiracy is thrown around to discredit what someone else says without understanding it's true meaning.

Where it came from is of little concern to me - how we deal with what's already occurring responsibly is more so.

dragonlover1 and Sdaji like this.
  6. Herptology

Herptology Well-Known Member

I’ve lost almost 40$ because of the stupid virus :mad:

00F50A53-880F-40D5-B933-7E6919EBFAAD.png

7. GBWhite

GBWhite Well-Known Member

No need to panic. Looks like our Federal Government has got things figured out. They even had the forethought to take the initiative to put in place measures for a Management Plan for Pandemic Influenza in August 2019 just months before the current outbreak. Coincidence or where there other factors in play?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  8. nuttylizardguy

My elder brother who regards himself and tells everyone he's a financial genius , who is a self funded millionaire retiree ( c/- never he's never being out of work , got a golden handshake from OneSteel in 1999 ( got 4 years salary ontop of his super and accrued lsl and accrued unused sick leave and annual leave ) told me in a whiny email he'd "lost" nearly 1/4 million on the value of his shares , probably closer to $500k by now.
    Like as if I've got any sympathy for him or people in his position who have been really well looked after by the current fed government ( refunds on franking credit tax is an example ) , he's always been a money hungry SOB who thinks he's better than everyone else , and well it's only wealth on paper.
    My response was " tough luck " and so what.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 19, 2020, Original Post Date: Mar 19, 2020 ---
    I think the federal government needs to take control of the supermarket situation by
    * maybe ordering them to engage security guards to actively ensure no scrums at the doors
    * ordering them to set aside one full day per week for ONLY those who are on disability pensions, age pensions or who are obviously mobility impaired ( no Pensioner Concession Card , they customer doesn't get in the door )
    * since people are carrying on like school kids ( panic buying and brawling over products ) the rest of the week should be split so maybe people who's surname starts with A - D can buy on Mondays , E - H only on Tuesdays, I - L only on Wednesdays , Thursday = pensions and disabled , you get the drift I think .
    * make home delivery to the door of the staples and necessities mandatory for all perhaps.
    * we're not there yet , but might be necessary to start a ration card system for STAPLES and NECESSITIES ( where every household (unless they have letter from a GP) gets a set of ration cards based on the MEDICARE CARD SYSTEM issued for each person .

9. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Very Well-Known Member

By the time any of that was implemented all this will be over and life will be back to normal. Everyone just needs to relax and take it one week at a time.

dragonlover1, Josiah Rossic and Ropey like this.
  10. dragonlover1

dragonlover1 Subscriber Subscriber

As for your brother losing on his super,it is only early days so the share market should recover in time. It always does so don't panic.
    Your plan for specified days might not work as people might not be able to go on those days, I remember back in the 70's there was a fuel shortage and the rationing system designated said odd number plates on odd days and even plates on even days, but as a commercial driver I found it difficult to get enough fuel on my allotted days and travelled from garage to garage to get $10 here and there so my business could scrape through, but it also impacted on my ability to service customers

11. nuttylizardguy

Yes I remember fuel rationing . Lived through that.

I see no reason why staggering the shopping days alphabetically wont work , people will adapt if they have no choice.

12. kankryb

kankryb Active Member

I'm in copenhagen,Denmark and we are almost in lock down, all unnecessary shops closed but we can still go and buy food no problem so take it easy and keep distance to others

13. Flaviemys purvisi

14. Josiah Rossic

Josiah Rossic Active Member

15. nuttylizardguy

My wife told be when she went to Woolworths and Coles this morning at 7:30am that there wasn't a fresh potato or carrot in sight and there was buggerall in the greens and tomatos (so much for pensioners being able to get their needs in this "special" early timeslot), and still no dunny paper .
    Local butcher was asking for $20 per kg for mince !!! Not good , but at least a 1kg of mince goes a long way , there wasn't any mince to be found in Woolworths or Coles.
    This is looking like a situation that is not going to resolve itself , and there is now covid-19 in my community ( Hunter Valley ) that been deamed community spread .

I recently completed several raised beds in the relandscaping of my back yard ie
    3x 3m x 1.5m x 0.4m ,
    a 6m x 3m x 0.6m ,
    a x 6m x 1.5m x 0.6m
    and my big hockey stick shaped raised bed ( see my other thread ) essentially 3m x 3m x 0.5m + 1.5m x 1.5m x 0.2m
    in December and filled them half and half with fill from relandscaped backyard and premium garden soil.
    Plan was when level 2 water restrictions are eventually lifted to have a root veg patch , a green lefty veg patch, a herb patch ( the 3x1.5m beds) , fruit and berries in the 6m bed , and pretty stuff in the hockey stick shaped bed.

These beds are currently just growing weeds and self seeded grasses , so are essentially fallow.

So I'll be sharing these with some of nearby relatives to grow root veg and greens and herbs , where my wife and I will provide the dirt and space and the watering , they'll buy the seeds and baby greens and baby tomatos plants ( I'll go halves on the cost of seedlings and seeds and any fertilizer) , and get them to plant them , this will kick start production and visit maybe fortnightly to do a spot of weeding , and we'll all share the produce .

This means the beds will be providing for between 6 people if they are interested and will save all of us a bit money , help us by reducing then need to mingle with the unclean masses at the shops ( when queuing ) , and ensure we have some fresh organic grown veg in the medium to long term for as long as these shortages and self distancing is required.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 19, 2020, Original Post Date: Mar 19, 2020 ---
    These products need to be confiscated by the cops, and then given to a charity group to give away to those WHO NEED THEM but can't afford to buy them, and the blackmarketeers involved sent to prison for a very long time and all their assets siezed. IMO they are oxygen thieves.
    The guys mentioned Matt and Noah Colvin were on a get rich scheme that involved price gouging pure and simple - a/holes.

Josiah Rossic and dragonlover1 like this.
  16. dragonlover1

dragonlover1 Subscriber Subscriber

As I previously said I have a small supply but I don't even have bread for next weeks sangas, I don't have any spaghetti to make spag bog this week. Sure I can make a few meals but there is a limit to what I can do, I wont starve but it is gonna be a tight couple of weeks. I just hope it is sorted quickly but I don't think it will be

17. nuttylizardguy

Sounds like you'll be using the drive through at maccas , kfc or the like til you can buy a few loaves of bread or get your hands on some baked beans or spaghetti.
    If your wife is lady who is handy in the kitchen it might be a good ideal to get hold of her grandmums old recipies to make home made soups and stews by the 4L batch and to bake up of storm with cheap cuts of beef and pork and chicken and any veg she can lay her hands on to make family sized and single size pies in bulk to freeze and reheat as needed.

We might start doing this too before our freezer and pantry start looking bare.

Do we need a PANDEMIC RECIPY THREAD to share our recipies here ?

Times like this I'm very glad we have a spare monster side by side fridge & freezer combo who's freezer section ( about 200L ) we keep well stocked with seafood , steaks, snags, mince, roasts , and a good sized corner floor to ceiling pantry that usually has a couple dozen tins of soup and a couple 4 can packs of baked beans and speghetti , as well as flour , rice , and a some packs of soups in a cup .
    For a long time I used to buy whole T-bones , rumps , scotch fillets , and whole lambs at the local butcher who I had cut them to my specs we'd do a stockup a few times a year, and of cause I also often had several large steaked up or filleted jewfish or snapper that I'd caught or several dozen whole nigger or whiting when I caught them , and sometimes we brought home whole frozen barra and cod and threadfin we caught up north .
    More recently the big bulk buys have stopped , but I do try to get about a couple months worth of red meat , and white meats ( chooks, seafood ) in and never let the stock get under 2 weeks of meals.
    Learnt from my experience living through cyclones in the Pilbara ( Hedland ) to always have a backup plan. Part of the reason why I had several large raised beds built in my backyard ( plus I like fresh berrys !!! and fresh fruits ! and I need the exercise , and a microfarm sounded like good idea when we decided to relandscape our yard stating in June 2019.

Worse case , we can make and bake our own bread in the home if bread disappears off the shelves too. But you need flour to do that , but too bad if you can't find any at Coles or Woolies or other supermarkets because of idiots panic buying .

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  18. Herptology

Herptology Well-Known Member

19. Flaviemys purvisi

China for the win.

20. Josiah Rossic

Josiah Rossic Active Member

The plot thickens.