COVID-19 virus

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nuttylizardguy, Mar 12, 2020.

?
  1. I have it.

2.6%
  2. Very scared.

2.6%
  3. Somewhat scared.

2.6%
  4. Quite worried ( trying to distance , avoiding crowds , and adding some stuff to pantry JIC )

30.8%
  5. Not concerned but watching local developments .

35.9%
  6. Over stated by media scaremungering , business as usual for me.

33.3%
  7. What is it.

2.6%
  8. I'm in quaranteen and think I might be infected.

2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Herptology

Herptology Well-Known Member

At this point there’s too many sources to say it was a freak occurrence caused by eating a bat

371DCE4F-13E1-4188-B046-1B5F43FB3937.jpeg

2. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Very Well-Known Member

They should rename it "Chinavirus-2020"

Josiah Rossic likes this.
  3. nuttylizardguy

nuttylizardguy Well-Known Member

Nonsense.
    They imposed very strict restrictions and dampened the curve .

The economic impacts are greatest in those economies who have the largest level of trade with china.

>>>

My nephew is on board with my backyard microfarm idea . ( So we are going be growing for 6 people + my lizards ).

Now on the hunt for seeds.

>>>
    I've suggested to my local council that storm water drain green verges and long term vacant blocks ( owned by the council or housing comm ) be converted to communal minifarms maybe managed by the local PCYC and Mens' Sheds with local pensioner greenthumbs advising locals who want to use the family sized beds that will be need to established the local council.
    If the logistics chain (farm gate to supermarket shelves) breaks down , and if farmers can't source pickers , then these will become very important communal assets.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    dragonlover1 likes this.
  4. dragonlover1

dragonlover1 Subscriber Subscriber

apparently the latest panic buying has been veg seedlings, so you'd better hurry if you want any

5. nuttylizardguy

Thanks for the tip.

I'll let my nephew know , I think I heard something about that a few days ago too .

I guess I'll have to do a ring around the local Bunnings and garden centres to assess seedling availability ( as my wife and I not going to expose ourselves by physically driving about and visiting what might crowded shops from this point on.
    My Nephew is only in his early 40s and he's working so he'll be better placed to collect any I manage to order if they wont deliver.

6. Flaviemys purvisi

FB_IMG_1584348539580.jpg
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 20, 2020, Original Post Date: Mar 20, 2020 ---
    FB_IMG_1584699488167.jpg
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 20, 2020 ---
    IMG_8487(1).jpg

dragonlover1 and Josiah Rossic like this.
  7. Josiah Rossic

Josiah Rossic Active Member

:D:D:D
    Hilarious

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  8. nuttylizardguy

Heard this and thought J heard the story incorrectly BUT I HAD NOT.
    and it was suggested "to have a word with them" and point out how stupid they are .

Bugger that , don't go near them , it's clear that they don't care and will likely get nasty , my approach would be call the cops and dob the &#$%&s in. And the cops darn well better arrest them and lock them up , and the magistrate hit them with a maximum fine !

[​IMG]
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 20, 2020, Original Post Date: Mar 20, 2020 ---
    So Woolworths has set up a PRIORITY DELIVERY SYSTEM where self isolating (vulnerable & disabled people) can order their staples and essentials ( their weekly shop ) online and have it delivered to their door.
    Someone has thought this out and yes ONLY ONE REGISTERED CUSTOMER per household and they must have a pensioner concession card , Kudos to Woolworths.
    I'm a senior, retired , and disabled ( result of an accident ) and am glad that's there for us.
    So I registered , yet to see if the order for a packet of dunny paper and some mince and canned (soup meals ( only a total of 10 items ) ) shows up on Monday morning.

What has Coles done ?
    They've cancelled all online orders placed to be delivered cartblanche from 18th Mar and closed access to online ordered home deliveries , only concession they are doing is very early opening for a hour or so for the vulnerable group ( forcing them out of self isolation to queues to get into the shop , scrums at the door , literal scrums and riots at essentials and staples isles , and queues at the checkouts , and likely focing more the very people who we are trying to protect to be exposed to unnecessary risks of covid - 19 infection as a result .
    Looked tonight and there is mention I can any priority online home delivery service for self isolators and quarantined or disabled that I could find on the Coles Online site , might be there but you'd have create an online order for the registration form to pop up ( I didn't try ).

NOT BLOOD GOOD ENOUGH COLES.

I believe Aldi is same as Coles.

I'd hazard a guess that this effects nearly every member of this online message board ( perhaps first hand, perhaps their parents , perhaps their living in their own home grandparents).

This person
    [​IMG]
    needs to pick up the phone ( right away ) and call the CEOs of Coles & Aldi (Aus) and read the riot act to them and order them to immediately follow Woolworths with a priority online delivery system for self isolators and quarantined and the vulnerable .

Good luck finding a N95 mask anywhere that isn't being black-marketed and price gouged on Ebay or Gumtree or out the back of car or truck at a pub or you knick it from your work / boss..
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 21, 2020 ---
    Latest attempt by government to cover their collective ar*es involves a neat mathematical trick , the semilog scaled run chart
    [​IMG]
    the illusion they are trying show is the parademic in not growing at an every exponentially increasing rate but has flatter rate of increase in confirmed cases , ie it doesn't LOOK as alarming or scary to the average poorly numerate Australian who probably never heard of semi-log graphs and run charts and hasn't a clue how they work.

Explaination
    time axis is linear and the interval is even ( daily ),
    the number of cases vertical axis is now scaled using a logarithmic scale , where increases are in powers of 10 ,where like so

[​IMG]

Not as scary looking as the same data from the other data
    [​IMG]
    where no mathematical trickery has been used and the data graphed is readily understandable to everyone .

Nice try …. though.

dragonlover1 likes this.
  9. GBWhite

GBWhite Well-Known Member

10. Flaviemys purvisi

Funniest thing I've seen yet! :D:D:D

Josiah Rossic and dragonlover1 like this.
  11. nuttylizardguy

My greens and root veg seedlings are on order from the local nursery , this will kick start our veg patch. Home delivery is only $10 .
    No one has any herb seedlings in stock , but asked for auto-alert when they come in.

Ordered herbs, greens, veg and root veg seed packets by mail-order from a place I've bought plants from before , limited stock but I only need one or two packs of seeds for each type of plant.

dragonlover1 likes this.
  12. Flaviemys purvisi

13. Ella C

Ella C Active Member

My school's been shut. Not a fun time, unfortunately, I'd rather be at school with friends.

14. Flaviemys purvisi

Said no one from my generation ever. Lol

15. dragonlover1

Sad times unfortunately, this is something that has never happened in the history of man. Sure we have had disasters and plagues etc. But never before has the world shut down in "self isolation". If it was possible for every single human to stay at home for 1 month it might possibly beat the virus but I don't think it's possible sadly

16. Flaviemys purvisi

What needs to happen is every major supermarket needs to close its doors completely for 2 days... allow the transit of goods and shelves to be completely re-stocked and then re-open... the problem right now is limited supplies are being snapped up as soon as they're put out by the first 6 people through the doors... This will be a never-ending cycle if the stores don't shut for a few days to get back on top of it. I hit 9 stores today between 7:30 - 9am... 3 Woolworths, 2 Coles and 1 SPAR and 3 pharmacies looking for toilet paper.... NO luck. 5 of those had it in stock but had sold out before I got there... 4 didn't have any at all.

17. nuttylizardguy

Yep , 14 days is not working, 28 days will likely get 99% of the infected people detected BUT testing before release from quarantine is not happening and has to if this virus is going to be beat.

Lets hope this doesn't end in the Great Global Famine of 2020 , it's already well on the way to the Great Depression of 2020.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 21, 2020, Original Post Date: Mar 21, 2020 ---
    Be thankful you don't have a tummy bug that is giving you the trots …. doesn't bare thinking about if you have very little dunny paper and now way to get more. You'd have to resort to being hosed down in the bath or in the back yard with the garden hose .

Don't flush news print if you resort to using it , it'll block the sewer pipes .

dragonlover1 likes this.
  18. dragonlover1

This will mean going back to the old method of rubbish removal;burning in the incinerator which is illegal.
    And you're not far off with a depression, I think it is very likely. This is gonna be way worse than the recession "we had to have"

19. nuttylizardguy

Eden Seeds has seeds in packets and seasonal multi pack veg / greens/ herbs selections.
    www.EdenSeeds.com.au

Waste of time looking in Woolworths , Kmart, Coles, Bunnings , Mitre10 for food and herb seeds , I called round and they were sold out this morning here in Newcastle and don't know when they'll see more stock.

I'll be composting green waste , will build a 3 bay composter from offcuts of 200x75mm sleepers ( that were left over from my bed and retaining wall builds ).

20. Yellowtail

Yellowtail Well-Known Member

IGA Mt Tamborine resembled a Soviet Union supermarket on Thurs with no meat and very little anything but yesterday they were fully stocked minus toilet paper so someone did a lot of restocking overnight.
    I was at Aldi Oxenford yesterday and it was fully stocked with almost no shoppers, really weird and the carpark had about 3 cars in it.
    Today I called into Woolworths Oxenford to get a couple of things to be confronted with pallets of Quilton near the checkouts with staff handing out the packets of 8.

I don't care because I always have thousands of rodents to fall back on and plenty of game in my front yard. (sorry Skippy)