COVID-19 virus

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nuttylizardguy, Mar 12, 2020.

?
  1. I have it.

2.6%
  2. Very scared.

2.6%
  3. Somewhat scared.

2.6%
  4. Quite worried ( trying to distance , avoiding crowds , and adding some stuff to pantry JIC )

30.8%
  5. Not concerned but watching local developments .

35.9%
  6. Over stated by media scaremungering , business as usual for me.

33.3%
  7. What is it.

2.6%
  8. I'm in quaranteen and think I might be infected.

2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Very Well-Known Member

I'm going to China... It's all over there.

MANNING and Josiah Rossic like this.
  2. Sdaji

Sdaji APS Veteran APS Veteran

In the near future you may remember having said this.

The virus isn't what we should be scared of.

MANNING and Flaviemys purvisi like this.
  3. Flaviemys purvisi

I just hit Dan Murphy's to restock my booze fridge before borders close... it's pure chaos there... thankfully I got everything I was after... fridge is full again... forget the toilet paper!

Shire pythons likes this.
  4. dragonlover1

dragonlover1 Subscriber Subscriber

Yes I read that China is buying up all the companies that operate within it's borders,suffering due to CV so it not only controls output but also keeps all the $

5. nuttylizardguy

nuttylizardguy Well-Known Member

Your're right .

It's the idi0ts who
    make up conspiracies ( because they get their jollys this way , or because they a political or racist reason ) and set out to spread these online or via the media ,
    or refuse to self distance ,
    or to self isolate if exposed ,
    or to quarantine if infected ,
    and the blackmarketers who are stripping shelves of essentials and basic foods ,
    and the self selfish bastards who a hording huge quantities of essentials and basic long life pantry goods ,
    and idi0ts who are letting international tourists and traveling Australians and expats who want to come home off international flights and cruise ships without controlling their movements and forcing them to self isolate or even so much as a test.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 22, 2020, Original Post Date: Mar 22, 2020 ---
    Just stay home and you'll be fine ( unless you already have covid-19 ).
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 22, 2020 ---
    That was a bit silly, bet it was impossible to self-distance there in that riotous scrum of panic buyers and blackmarket syndicate buyers.
    Would have been wiser to go online and place an online order to be delivered to your door.

Spirits from o/seas will still be coming into the country , lots of this stuff will still be shipping containers on container ships enroute on the open sea.
    It's called NATIONALISATION , something we need to do here to so essential services and key industries return to PUBLIC ( government ) ownership and control rather than being at the whim of some uber billionaires in other countries who see only $ and don't give squat about their employees and the communities their employees live in.

A lot to be said for having critical / strategic and basic services and products made locally even it means it's a corporation owned completely by the federal government and reducing our reliance on imports and never makes a profit.
    We've seen it many times that federal and state governments throw billions of dollars at externally owned companies to attract them here, and keep them here, only to have them throw even more at them when they cry poor ( unprofitable ) and they prompty shutdown and leave anyway once the cheque has cleared leaving the workers and lots of local contractors in the lurk and even pocketing employee entitlements in some nasty examples .
    Some of the latest examples are Holden , OneSteel , QNI .
    This has to stop.
    did you sort out the unsold hatchlings housing and feeding problem you mentioned earlier ?
    I've got some silkworm eggs out of the fridge and have them sitting in a sterile airtight tub now , hopefully they are still viable and I'll have a few hundred baby silkworms munching away on chow in a week or two.
    On the hunt for a small sapling mulberry tree to add to my back yard microfarm.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  6. Sdaji

Sdaji APS Veteran APS Veteran

If ever anyone needed a chill pill...

You had some strange angry rants at a few people, but just looking at your rant at me, I'm all for reasonable hygiene precautions and I think people should be practising them at all times.

When I said the virus isn't what we should be scared of, I don't mean we shouldn't take reasonable action to lessen the impact of the virus, I meant that there's something far more horrific than the virus coming our way. The virus is a manipulation strategy. I'm not one to jump on whackjob conspiracy theories, but it's clear something more than a virus is happening here. Even without any conspiracies at all, you can see plenty of blatant lies being told. Lies are only told when people have an agenda. Look at who is benefiting from the situation while all others are suffering. Look at the one party which is benefiting from the situation, which orchestrated the narrative telling the rest of the world what to do, and note that doing what was recommended is utterly destroying the rest of the world while the one making the recommendations (based on a story which makes no sense) benefits, and is doing so thanks to having set itself up for it before the rest of the world even knew a new virus was on the loose.

Some people refuse to see something, regardless of how obvious it is, unless the mainstream media tells them to believe it, or their school teacher or mother or something.

The lies are becoming so blatant that surely those directing the narrative don't expect them to be believed for long, which indicates they plan the next phase to come soon.

7. nuttylizardguy

Up date , confirmation from Woolworths that my online order will be here this morning . Here's hoping I get all the basics I had in it ( it's not a huge order , only 10 items ).

Here's hoping our mail-order insect suppliers keep on serving our needs through all this, even if state borders all end up closed.
    We a probably fortunate they are all quite small business ( in that they only have small numbers of employees ) and rely mostly on online , phone and mail-order sales rather than walkin shop sales .
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 23, 2020, Original Post Date: Mar 23, 2020 ---
    Our Woolworths Online Delivery order arrived with only one substution ( single person tins of spaghetti instead ).

My RSG P3 FACE MASKS have arrived too. My wife has never worn a face mask before (in her life) and I warned her they wont be comfy, she reckons she'd rather just stay at home than wear it.
    These things and cheaper one use cloth surgical masks wll be the fashion statement for 2020 and 2021.

8. Nero Egernia

Nero Egernia Subscriber Subscriber

Ease up, big horse. We don't need regular updates on your personal life. That's what Facebook's for.

What do you think is the next phase?

9. Herptology

Herptology Well-Known Member

Wasn’t there an article saying face masks are useless for those who aren’t affected by the virus, but are more effective to be worn by those who ARE affected

They don’t do much to prevent germs coming to your face, but they can prevent people from spitting and stuff

10. nuttylizardguy

No harm having a high quality properly made face mask on hand but it needs to be rated at least N95 and fitted to the face properly.

No evidence that covid-19 IS NOT spread as an aerosol when people cough and sneeze and spit, if you are close enough you can very easily breath in some of that air that has mucus and virus particles in it - and end up infected , i'm in a vulnerable age group (simply because I'm in the mid 60s) and I'd rather avoid that risk .

BETTER to over protect than under protect and a mask will certainly stop the wearer from putting fingers to face and kissing.

11. dragonlover1

yes, the virus can apparently be absorbed through the eyes and ears too
    Transport has been deemed an essential service so all deliveries should still happen, luckily for me it means I still have a job. Not so the poor people in hospitality etc.

nuttylizardguy likes this.
  12. nuttylizardguy

You are one of the lucky ones - with everyone forced to get stuff delivered you'll be busier than ever , doing overtime and extra shifts .

My advise is try to pace yourself and try to keep a work - home/family balance …. can be very easy to burn yourself out when doing excessive hours and very hard on family life ( been there done that when I was in industry and saw lots of colleagues end up burning out and resorting to stimulants to keep on keeping on all in pursuit of all those extra $ from doing overtime and extra shifts , wasn't unheard off to have 90hr to 100hr work weeks , knew lots of people in the day who paid off their homes in under 5 years , and were still spending like there was no tomorrow on expensive junk).

13. jahan

jahan Active Member

Martial law is the imposition of direct military control of normal civilian functions by a government, especially in response to a temporary emergency such as invasion or major disaster Is this what will happen in the USA soon?

14. dragonlover1

In my younger days 12-14 hour days were the usual but these days I'm struggling to do the minimum 10 hours due to my offsider Uncle Arthur (itus) but I think there will come a tipping point when we run out of chinese crap to deliver as there are no more imports and things will slow down. Then the Australian manufacturing industry has a chance of rebuilding because we can't import so we have to make it here. HOORAY for Australia. And then our piss weak Govt needs to bring back tariffs. Let's make Australia great again

15. nuttylizardguy

Don't be surprised if guys like you are enlisted to deliver basics and food in a nation wide compulsory roll of online ordering for home deliveries from Coles and Woolworths and chemists to all.
    Media Watch tonight ( https://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/ ) showed us where you are getting your nonsense conspiracy theories from .
    , making these stupid unsupported claims is actually dangerous , as some people will listen to you , think they don't need to anything , and many more people will catch covid - 19 , and some will die.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 24, 2020 ---
    There are some huge questions no one ( in power ) is addressing publicly.

I feel for the people who have found themselves' unemployed overnight . I've been there and it's going to be very times for them ( was at Newcastle Steelworks in 1982 when 2/3 the workforce were retrenched, and again when it was shutdown ). Fortunately I don't need to actively seek work as I'm a early retiree.
    I know a lot here will have no sympathy for jobseekers , since they have been fortunate enough to have never been made unemployed and they simply don't have a clue about what it's like to be forced to seek work when there is no work to be found , be in receipt of hundreds or even thousands of knockbacks (which is crushing for anyone) and be forced into mandatory slavery ( work for the dole is slavery ).

We've seen on the news that there's been an instantaneous massive step change in the unemployment rate to a level not likely seen for 100 years. Those on the dole before covid-19 were in a situation that there are far more unemployed than available jobs. This situation has now been made much worse literally overnight.
    90,000 hit the MyGov site TODAY many many more visited or tried to visit Centrelink offices in every part of the country ( no one has been game to put a number to this ). This is unprecedented in living memory.

For the foreseeable future job seeking will be an entirely pointless exercise for all but a very small fraction these jobseekers ( who might be taken up in those few types of jobs that will have to grow to keep Australians fed and a maybe a few thousand job openings that involve working from home ).

With millions of Australians being thrown out of work , for anything between 6 months to 18 months , as a result of the governments doing too little too late and doing in some cases some of the worst thing they could do (to flatten the curve), what's the point of obliging all on the dole to seek work ?

Bluntly there will be no work to be found for at least 6 months , AND likely the next 2 years ( will take time for shutdown businesses to restart , restock and ramp back up , the shutdown has been for intents of and purposes instantaneous , it wont be same at the other end of this , and evidence is few over 50 year olds will ever work again.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Mar 24, 2020 ---
    https://www.nma.gov.au/defining-moments/resources/great-depression read this and you'll see parallels to what is happening right now only add a pandemic on top for good measure.

My granddads both lived through the GD , and the stories of hardship and destitution were beyond most people's wildest imaginations.

Australia reached 30% unemployment and it took a world war to turn the Australian economy around , I hope that parallel doesn't happen .

16. Flaviemys purvisi

For anyone interested.

nuttylizardguy likes this.
  17. longirostris

longirostris Active Member

I do religiously every Collingwood game every week of every season. never miss. Best game in the world bar none!!!!

18. Flaviemys purvisi

I'd honestly rather watch chess or lawn bowls than AFL.

19. Yellowtail

Yellowtail Well-Known Member

Mate I played Australian Football as a kid in WA and when my family moved to NSW I was horrified when I tried to watch footy on tv and all they had was these fat guys plodding along n lines bashing into each other and someone told me it was rugby something.
    I used to regularly fly interstate to watch a footy game until VFL games and then AFL was shown on tv in NSW. For years I endured mates and business associates dragging me to NRL finals and state of origin (which was an AFL invention years before league adopted it) and sorry it's still a boring game played by unfit body builders on a small field like the AFL under 10's play on with a piddling little crowd watching. Sorry but rugby of any code is a bore and I have never understood why NSW an Qld people persist with following a pommie game rather than our national aussie football code.
    The AFL have huge cash reserves little debt and own a billion dollar stadium so they are well placed to come out of this problem reasonably intact but I doubt that will be the case with the NRL
    AFL is a fast moving game and it does require a fast alert mind to follow it.

20. Flaviemys purvisi

AFL is embarrassing mate... a group of feminine men running around hugging one another. Soccer has better contact and more skill and is actually deserving of the term "football."

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020