Crack down on subspecies crosses Queensland

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by andynic07, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wokka

wokka Guest

2. Dragon_77

Dragon_77 Guest

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt that 0.01% of keepers could show you the information requested, Trueblue included, and then even if they can most have no way of identifying individual animals or linking their parents.
    It boils down to wether you trust the breeder and the information he provides. Th government authorities arn't or cant do it for you![/QUOTE]

Warwick, Thanks for replying to my post in regards to keepers being able to prove to me where their Reptile's come from.
    The only way any keeper can prove to me where their Reptile's come from and that they are pure un-related, is if they were collected on permit from the wild, and a DNA blood test is done to show whether or not they are from the same family, and if or not they are willing to share that information to me or anyone else.

l myself do have 1 pair of pure un-related NT phase Olive Python's, that were collected on permit on a snake callout in late 1999, so least l know where my pair of Olive Python's come from and they both a pure un-related to each other.:)

3. Ramy

Ramy Active Member

Part of the problem is escaped pets. What if a jag got out and managed to breed in the wild? What if a bredli cross got out and managed to breed just once before the kookaburras found them? After all, it's the reason we don't let Aussie's keep corn snakes. It's the reason we won't let them bring in Ball Pythons. That, and disease. But mostly because we don't want any more animals (toad, rabbit, deer, myna...) naturalising in our environment.

We would prefer that if local wild animals changed, that it's because it was evolutionarily advantageous, not because we spilt the milk. Jags under-mine that. Also, that if for any reason jungle carpet pythons disappeared in the wild, we like to think that we atleast managed to keep a few demo models in the shop.

4. Red-Ink

Red-Ink Very Well-Known Member

If escaped pets was going to be the reasoning then a bredli or a MD (jag genetics, pure or not) getting out in FNQ and mixing with the local wildlife would be a threat to the local endemic carpet population... by that reasoning, no one in OZ should be allowed to keep anything that is not endemic to the area.

5. ozziepythons

ozziepythons Well-Known Member

Agreed. Bush experienced herpers tend to appreciate the differences in morphology between locality specific bloodlines (i.e. colour and pattern between areas such as Uluru vs SA womas, Wheatbelt vs NSW stimsons, SA vs Vic Murrays) rather than candy coloured mixed bloodline progeny.

6. PilbaraPythons

PilbaraPythons Very Well-Known Member

Please name a couple of them for me Boa lol

7. Elapidae1

Elapidae1 Very Well-Known Member

Have to agree with Dave, Herpers are much more likely to be purists than outright keepers and while it may be a generalisation It rings true with every herper I know personally that their Ideals and ideas are generally more aligned with one another than with those only interested in keeping.

8. champagne

champagne Well-Known Member

Jags, zebras, crosses ect are here to stay, if anyone thinks otherwise they just have their head in the sand.

9. PilbaraPythons

I have seen it with my own eyes a few people who had limited appreciation of a particular species until they spent large tracks of time exploring the habitat. One obvious example is a close mate of mine who viewed Pygmy pythons as just a real ugly sister of a children’s python and not really worthy of been considered on our very limited W.A collecting list additions over other species. The same person now appreciates and keeps this species and I know how that appreciation grew upon him just as I had predicted it would.

10. longqi

longqi Very Well-Known Member

Jags were always a money game and always will be about the money so some people will always breed them
    But
    Interesting to see how many of the original jag enthusiasts now no longer breed them
    Their jags are older now
    They have seen the results of increasing neuro in these absolutely gorgeous snakes and are walking away

Crosses are definitely here to stay though
    Too many great looking neuro free morphs being developed and proven out
    They are the paint jobs of the future in Aus whether you like it or not

11. champagne

Yes but the breeders that got into jags for the money and are now getting out, are now jumping on the zebra money train... Plenty of people still breed jags and the neruo thing is so over rated it's not funny but what ever the purist want to believe.

12. Hoplophile

Hoplophile Active Member

And between Morelia spilota and Morelia kinghorni/amethistina as well Scott (same male in both cases). The progeny had small scatted head scales like a carpet.

13. yellowbeard

yellowbeard Active Member

No one has by the look of it, there is no DOE QLD crack down happening.

14. longqi

longqi Very Well-Known Member

Neuro is NOT over rated
    It is present in every jag just to more or less extent
    New jag owners with young snakes simply dont see it as much
    Same with breeders who seldom handle their snakes
    But as jags get older the neuro often worsens

Few jags over 10yrs old dont show bad neuro if handled
    Try to find anyone overseas with old jags ie 14yrs
    Only a few of them still alive and relatively healthy

15. Retic

Retic Almost Legendary

LOL but it created 50+ posts.

16. andynic07

andynic07 Very Well-Known Member

I did state in a post that it may have been a one off. I think crosses are here to stay and would hate to see a "crackdown" happen because it would cause a lot of snakes to be sold off as something they are not due to fear. I had hoped to get a gauge on if others had heard of this happening and if not wondered why this person was singled out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. PilbaraPythons

Well I hope they single many more of them out lol

18. Retic

Retic Almost Legendary

I reckon there are much worse truly illegal activities within the hobby that should be cracked down on personally.

19. andynic07

andynic07 Very Well-Known Member

What is the things that you suggest are worse illegal activities out of interest?

20. champagne

Im not saying it is there but the purist love to bash on jags and claim they are a cork screwing which isn't the case... And how many jags have you kept that are over 10 years old?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.