Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smacdonald

Reaction score
Recently I was dragged out to Cracow to help Jonno from Educational Reptile Displays with a venomous snake handling course for the Cracow Gold Mine. We stayed at the Cracow Pub, owned by Fred Brophy.

A green tree frog (Litoria caerulea) found in a post out the back of the Cracow Pub.

The first night we went out driving was quite unproductive. We drove about 120km in the first night, only managing to find one spotted python (Antaresia maculosa) about 1km out of town.

As there was nothing much on the road we went to the local tip to have a poke around. We found a Bynoe's gecko (Heteronotia binoei) and some frogs.

Stoney creek frog (Litoria wilcoxi) found near a creek.

Spotted marsh frog (Limnodynastes tasmaniensis) found at the local dump.

We went back to the pub, where Jonno found a Burton's legless lizard (Lialis burtonis) at the back stairs.

We conducted the course during the day, and went critter hunting at night. We both wanted to find rough-throated leaf-tailed geckos (Saltuarius salebrosus, so we were keeping our eyes out for suitable hbitat. We saw a rocky outcrop just over the road from the mine site. We thought it looked like good gecko habitat. We were right.

Rough-throated leaf-tailed gecko (Saltuarius salebrosus). Their very effective camouflage makes photographing them quite difficult. It also makes seeing them quite difficult. Luckily I had Jonno and his eagle eyes with me. We (and by 'we' I mean 'Jonno') found five leaf tails on a single rock face.

Rough-throated leaf-tailed gecko (Saltuarius salebrosus). They wave their tails when they feel threatened. Like all geckos, they can drop, and subsequently regrow, their tail.

Rough-throated leaf-tailed gecko (Saltuarius salebrosus). He's licking the eye on the other side of his head.

Front view of a rough-throated leaf-tailed gecko (Saltuarius salebrosus).

A thick-tailed gecko (Underwoodisaurus milii) found on a rocky outcrop.

On our last night we went out driving again. We found a pink-tongued skink (Cyclodomorphus gerrardii) in a very dry area. Pink tongues are normally found in moist environments. Obviously no one told this guy that...

We then stopped at a bridge to have a look on the wooden structure. We found a couple of geckos.

Dubious dtella (Gehyra dubia) found on a wooden bridge.

Southern spotted velvet gecko (Oedura tryoni) found running around on a wooden bridge.

We packed up on Saturday and drove back to Brisbane. I've decided that I'm going to get a job in a mine. Workers get free, unlimited food. Including ice cream. Unlimited ice cream. I was in heaven.

HAHA, love the tree frog and burtons! they are sweet!
good find!
well done looks like you had abit of fun!

Mate, awesome pics, especially the ones of the Saltuarius:D

Ben

I seriously have not seen someone eat as much as Stewart did. I felt incredibly unmanly by not being able to compete with his appetite. Luckily my reptile spotting ability is far better than my eating ability or handbrake-turn ability!

You guys did well, I have seen a verry large B.H.P out there but not a great deal more not that i have time to look. Next time head out too Nathan george, not far from town.

Hi Ryan,

Make sure you let me know if you're ever up in Brisbane. I'll show you some of the good spots around here. I've still got a few pics from a recent trip that I'm yet to post. I don't think anything exciting is happening on Thursday so maybe I'll get some spare time then to sort them out.

Brigsy: Last time I was in the area I found a live black-headed python and three (big) road-killed ones. That area is around the south-eastern limit of their range, but they're obviously not uncommon.

Stewart

nice pic of the leaf tailed geckos i live not far from there and would not mind going out there to look for some leaf tailed geckos myself

Have they got a petrol station there yet?I had to get some petrol from the mine as I planned on filling up there.....bad mistake.

Have they got a petrol station there yet?I had to get some petrol from the mine as I planned on filling up there.....bad mistake.

Nope, still no petrol station. I'm sure the mine would love having people going in to fill up their cars!

Stewart

both theodore and eidsvold have petrol stations.

Nice leafies
Nathan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back