Creating a temperature gradient in a hot climate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk1701

Reaction score
Hi all

I am weeks away from getting my first snake and almost all setup - just need a thermostat.

However it’s very hot where I live right now (42 outside, 35 in the room the snake will be kept). How do I ensure a heat gradient in these sorts of conditions - do I need to be running the air conditioning in that room? I generally don’t run cooling while I’m not at home (unless it’s in the 40’s and then the bedroom is air conditioned for my dogs confort - I do have regular fans running daily though). If I am home the main room is generally air conditioned but this isn’t where I was planning to keep the snake.

We normally run air cons in the rooms the snakes are in to maintain a reasonable room temp/gradient.
I'm sure there are other ways to achieve your goal but you need to look closely at the species you intend to keep as some can suffer badly in hot spells while others such as BHP's & Womas will flourish.

With those temps you’ll have no choice but to keep it in an air conditioned room unfortunately. You may end up with a snake that’s has heatstroke or worse.
[doublepost=1515220511,1515220433][/doublepost]I’ve heard of people putting frozen water bottles in socks in enclosures but that’s a temp fix at best.

I've had the aircon running all day in the garage today keeping temps down to a respectable level. Bring on the cool change!

This is like where I live but not that hot like 32-35 but with the air dons on it chews money

I've been running my aircon in the reptile room for about 5-6 hours a day for the last 3 weeks now. They don't use that much power... the aircons from 15 years ago do but not the new ones.

Ok so even in the air conditioned main room my thermometer is still ready 29 - it doesn’t feel that hot to me.
[doublepost=1515301618,1515226898][/doublepost]Is 24 ok for the cool side? That’s the reading I’m getting at the moment.

God bless portable air conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back