cricket phylum

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Very Well-Known Member
Banned
Reaction score
for this assignment im going in science, ive gotta choose an invertebrate and write about it. I've chosen the cricket.
does anyone know what phylum the cricket is under:??
thanks

is that (the cricket phylum) the scientific name? or is Acheta domesticus the scientific name?

confusing...

oooooooooo. i get it. so the phylum is the class and order..
thanks again white wolf and bouncn

Oops sorry Miss White Wolf...

oh and eladidare - I go round making up sciencey sounding names for everything. You ought to give it a go.

oooooooooo. i get it. so the phylum is the class and order..
thanks again white wolf and bouncn

no, not really. The pyhlum is right at the top, then in the phylum you have many classes. In the chosen class you have many orders.

heres how it works (at a highschool science level of info/interpretation):
all animals are in a Kingdom called Animalia.
This Kingdom is split into different Phyla (plural) one of which is Athropoda (which refers to jointed legs)
The Phylum Arthropoda is split into different Classes, one of which contains Insects (other classes of arthropods being those of spiders, scorpions and crabs.. all jointed legs see?)...
The Class Insecta is then divided into Orders, one of which is Orthoptera containing crickets (other orders include Lepidoptera- butterflies and Coleoptera-beetles)... and as an aside, the P in these names is silent, meaning Orthoptera is pronounced Ortho tera...
anyway, the Order Orthoptera is then split into Families...
and then Families are further split to a Genus level... and the Genus will contain individual species within it..
the Binomial name is the Genus of an organism followed by it's specific name...
so to finally answer your question, the cricket is in Phylum Arthropoda!

......NERD!!!!!! not that its a bad thing tho:p

i wish i payed more attention in senior biology insted of sleeping. Altho i did pay attention to the genetics section.

... and as an aside, the P in these names is silent, meaning Orthoptera is pronounced Ortho tera...

I don't think any of my entomology lecturers have ever pronounced the orders with the p as silent...

if your entomology lecturers pronounced the p then they perhaps don't know their ancient greek so well!
the ptera part of the name refers to the wings of an insect....
for example malley, your lecturers undoubtably mentioned Diptera (the flies) who have two (di-) wings (ptera)...
perhaps they mentioned hymenoptera, membraneous (hymen-) wings (ptera)...
if you still don't believe that the p is silent, then how do you pronounce the name of these ancient reptiles, the pterasaurs? (wing lizard) or pteradactyls (wing finger)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back