Cricket question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MathewB

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I often offer my Cunningham's live crickets but the crickets seem to always get away. I don't want to waste my money on crickets if they are all going to escape and I was wondering if there was a type of container or similiar to keep live insects in while my Cunningham's gorge themselves. So anyone have any suggestions?

Maybe just put a couple in at a time or slow them down by putting them in the fridge for a little while just before feeding. You can buy an ornament type of thing you put the crickets in and then your lizard eats them as they come out of the hole/s but i assume you will still have them escaping.

I keep them in a plastic aquarium (cheap as chips variety with bright coloured lids) with dry gum leaves, small egg carton, chopped carrots and apples (replaced every 2nd day). They are kept warm as they don't survive well in the cold. I have found keeping them in their store bought container it gets humid and mouldy quickly, and the dead ones make the whole thing smell awful. If they thrive you'll have them a lot longer.

Last edited:
I take my lizard out of its enclosure and I place it into a large tuppawear container then I put the cricketes in so that it can eat as many as it likes then when done put back in the enclosure and the cricketes back in their container.
Saves me from losing so many crickets and money.

But the Cunningham's hate handling and they're in an outdoor enclosure, that's where my problem lies. Pull their legs off? That might work hehe

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

I pick a cricket and grab it by the tail and back legs (the hopper ones) and offer them to Lizzy by hand. She's so spoilt now that she looks at them in a little clear plastic bottle with a conical "cricket trap" and then looks at me as to say .... you're kidding right.... I know she knows how to get worms out the bottle, as I used to give her worms in the same bottle .... She is very happy to (very daintily) take the crickets from between by two fingers.

Lizzy doesn't live in an enclosure, she's wild and free to come and go as she pleases.

Try hand feeding them to your lizards one cricket at a time. Works with Lizzy ( an Eastern Water Skink) so it should work (might take a bit of patience) with your cunninghams.

Or you could switch to feeding woodies - just dust/paint with fluon a shallow container, stick the bugs in and the lizards can eat them without too many escapes! :)

yep pull their hopper legs off, slows them down a lot and they cant jump away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back