crocodile`s and mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you, but seriously? Where in the first OPs post did it say he had no experience? As far as we know he just wanted another persons experience as to when, because he wanted to be sure.... God forbid ppl posting for help! That's what this forum is about, chatting to ppl about similar hobbies and getting information and ideas on how they do things, my my, calm down, I think it's rude you just jumped into saying he had no idea, when u don't know what he knows, for all u know he has a croc who is sick n wanted to know if it was safe to put him onto fuzzies at his age!!! How bout asking questions and finding out some information about the OP and his croc before jumping down his throat. I've not been here long and I dunno if I even wanna stay if this is how u treat ppl who come for advice! If u don't have anything better to do then criticize SHAME ON YOU!

first of all i am not jumping down the op's throat. maybe read my post. i posted from a neutral position. And i was fiar to comment on op's experience as he stated in a previous post he works with crocs, so once again not having a stab, rather repeating facts.
So before it is SHAME ON ME for posting, i think it may be worth noting my comments in regards to everyone else's?? yeh good idea i think.

Some of these "old" blokes have bee round reptiles for years mate. and yes while some do go over the top like wright it is to prove a point... hopefully. When keeping crocs, usually research goes into it. In Vic it is to easy now for people to keep these.... there is a lot more screening in other states. As for op having alot of experience with crocs, if this is the case and you know about stats of crocs dying from "furballs" then you should have a rough idea of age to feed them this size feed. I am not jumping on the band wagon cracking the op, but this is something people should be aware of.... similar to wright saying what should she be feeding her stimmie or what ever. It is important for people to know the correct info. Thanks to those hwo provided it for op so i dont have to but at the same time threads going this way far to often.... criticise and so on.....not all "us" oldies are oldies simply cause we know stuff.... I am only 23. But have been working with and sutdying herps since 10. So not all oldies sit in pubs mate. Some of us sit at home with our families doing what you will do in years time... so try and show some respect both ways yeh ?
Hahaha u may no ya reptiles and stuff mate but cleary cant read properly i said these old guys as in the guys jumpin down the OPs throat not to the entire group of older people. So dont start a quote and try handing something to me without even thinking about wat ur saying? Let alone wat im saying. I never once have said its right to buy when u dont have the knowledge nore have i made smart *** remarks to the OP this is because its said on every post and it shouldnt be cause its general knowledge but there will always those people who dont care about the animal as much as the majority of APS members. This all being said just give people a chance before u start claiming inexperience

Reptilesrkool,

Simple stick to diet of fish and yabbies until about 2 ft in length. Then you start giving the odd rodent... But do it occasionally rather than a staple diet.

Cheers
scott

thanks scott i no what to feed him just wonted to no when they could digest hair with out the chance of dieing from the hair balls

Again once its 2 ft then start offering the occasional rodent , at that size the lower intestinal tract should have the musculature required to digest and form pellets of hair.

Furball based impactions are usually caused by a combination of poor husbandry and too many rodents in the diet.

There is really no need for all this trolling and insults. A simple answer would suffice. Regardless of how old you are or how many reptiles you own, threads like these really show who the adults are.

Last edited:
yeah for the people saying i have no clue how to look after it he has a perfict setup and also it`s no my first crocodile and i work with crocodilan`s few differen`t speacies all the time

If you'd included a bit more information in your first post then you probably would have gotten better and more specific information earlier. As it reads, your first post can be interpreted as from someone who has very little knowledge about the animal they are keeping.

it`s one question i don`t no every bloody thing about crocodile`s so i asked a question and found the answer to be they should never get fur and i handle alligator`s and freshwater crocodile`s on a regula basis as i work at a wildlife park

Ha! wondered when you were going to shed some more light. Interesting responses aye? Only ever had 2 freshies, 1 from Grahame Webb at Crocodylus Park & the other from Billabong Sanctuary. Fed mine on mainly fish, with the odd prawn, calamari, strips of kangaroo & beef heart. Done the rodents when around 18inches. When I got the first 1 I got conflicking information in regard to husbandry & so got hold of Grahame Webb at Crocodylus Park-figured he knows a thing or to.

I have a hatchy childreni and I've put a couple of adult rats in with it but for some reason it hasn't eaten them can any one help please. Should I just force feed it the rats and do I need to kill the rats before I try and force feed them thanks inadvance
haha how do i quote this into my sign

I have a hatchy childreni and I've put a couple of adult rats in with it but for some reason it hasn't eaten them can any one help please. Should I just force feed it the rats and do I need to kill the rats before I try and force feed them thanks inadvance

No, just stun the rats first by putting the tail in one side of a power point and its bottom teeth in the other side. Yes, force feeding is good..... suck the rat up into a bike pump then screw the pump into hatchies mouth and pump really hard. If you hear a loud popping noise... stop pumping ;)

Check the likes I believe it's 2 to 0
Hey, check out the sites name, it's "Aussie pythons and snakes", not facebook.
You're not helping out at all, not everyone is as perfect as you, just sayin'.
To everyone saying rah rah i'm pointing out how stupid it is, but have you never done anything stupid?.
If you were to help him, it would be one less "stupid decision", and he'd look after the animal properly.
And to the OP, no idea about crocs, but i'm sure at least someone on this site will help you.

Last edited:
Ha! wondered when you were going to shed some more light. Interesting responses aye? Only ever had 2 freshies, 1 from Grahame Webb at Crocodylus Park & the other from Billabong Sanctuary. Fed mine on mainly fish, with the odd prawn, calamari, strips of kangaroo & beef heart. Done the rodents when around 18inches. When I got the first 1 I got conflicking information in regard to husbandry & so got hold of Grahame Webb at Crocodylus Park-figured he knows a thing or to.
yeah nigle guess i wont ask anyone on here again ill just call up some people like u that no what there talking about

Hahaha u may no ya reptiles and stuff mate but cleary cant read properly i said these old guys as in the guys jumpin down the OPs throat not to the entire group of older people. So dont start a quote and try handing something to me without even thinking about wat ur saying? Let alone wat im saying. I never once have said its right to buy when u dont have the knowledge nore have i made smart *** remarks to the OP this is because its said on every post and it shouldnt be cause its general knowledge but there will always those people who dont care about the animal as much as the majority of APS members. This all being said just give people a chance before u start claiming inexperience

Jonez get off the high horse mate. I didnt even say i new my reptiles, i said i have been round them a while. I never attacked op, i said it was shame that in his posts he was saying he new about alligators and crocs but didnt know what age he should put certain things in their diet. I thanked those for offering good advice and also stated it was a shame people jump down others throats. I never claimed inexperience, more so , he claimed he had experience but was concerned about basic diets.

I never quoted you saying that you agreed with inexperience people buying some higher needs reptiles. So mate before you try and rip my thread apart saying i have no idea what i am writing... please do me a favour a read it through. I was posting from a neutral position, neither agreeing or disagreeing with either side.. as i for one am sick of the crap which is posted on threads when people are making their best efforts.

We would if they showed it.

you may be right. But it is not a young vs old war. Not a newbie vs experience battle. All this ****, it really is pointless and ruins so SO SO SO many threads...

This whole attiutude of he did it first... well mate you dont want to sound 15 do you? You are on a forum with people of all ages. And no matter the age show respect to those who do help and ignore those who dont. makes it alot less complicated.

What are the growth rates on johnstoni?
I've seen some make it to a size that wouldn't really be viable inside, where as others have been in a 6-8ft for 4-5 years.

Is feeding very slowly
A) Good for their health at such an early age? (I imagine in the wild they would feed as much as they can on small fish, frogs, inverts and eventually small mammals and birds to get to a larger size and avoid being prey for larger animals including their own kind)
B) Effect their activity
C) If you do how do you do it? Lots of small food regularly, or one or two large feeds periodically

If you haven't kept or had with experience crocodiles please do not comment.

Last edited:
he`s been getting pinkie rats and pink mice every couple of days and i restock his tank with feeder fish all the time witch dissapear fast lol would give him yabbies but a bit hard at the mment to ge smaller one`s for the little guy

Thank you reptilesrkool.

Considering you have been basically giving it mostly pink rodents (IMO not the most nutritious for any animal),
do you think that feeding it entirely on fish would would increase its growth rates or just give a better diet?

Also anyone else who has actually dealt with crocodiles in captivity feel free to give your opinion.

Cheers
Mulgaaustralis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back