crocs in sth east qld?..maybe?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seanjbkorbett

Reaction score
hey guys!:)..just curiouse..with this news of crocs being found in south east qld..they say the one was more than likely a released captive.wich is probably true.. but i have heard of croc sightings just north of brisbane,( i have had people tell me..i have never witnessed one myself)..tho i did spend 3 days looking around the area where i was told they had saw 1haha..Just north of brisbane Eatons hill/albany creek... there is a small river called Cashers creek,it has a local swimming area..and last summer i over heard a group of ppl saying they saw a croc and i approached them to ask did they really see one,two ppl now have told me when they had gone down there on a quiet day thay had seen a real small croc propably jsut under a mtr floating on the river,and when spotted,just dissapeared under the water,these ppl sounded real seriouse and sure it was a crocodile,..also i have heard stories from the locals there have been croc sightings in the past,a long time ago.i could belive this,but i like to see to belive..could this be true??.could their be small populations of freshwater cros in sth east qld..since they r such elusive animals...iam just curiouse guys,any 1 from south east qld on what u all may think?.
cheers
seano

I dont have info regarding sightings, or factual data....

But I would believe it if I was told......

I recently read an article about Sightings at Fraser Island... Cant remember where I read it.....

I was just told too, that a Croc was Captured walking around the Streets of Logan... Was on the NEWS..

My dad has told me of numerous crocs being caught as far down as the logan river. We have relatives around kenilworth who have witnessed a decent sized croc caught in the Mary river.

It really wouldn't surprise me if one or two had made the trip down the coast and decided to set up camp in a river round here.

Here's the Article about the Croc in Logan

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25082508-29277,00.html

Crocodiles captured in Bundaberg, Logan

February 20, 2009 03:49pm
TWO crocodiles have unexpectedly shown up in two southeast Queensland cities – one less than 100 kilometres away from the New South Wales border.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) responded to a call on the EPA Crocodile Sighting Hotline early this morning, capturing a 1.6 metre adult freshwater crocodile in the Logan suburb of Greenback, south of Brisbane. It has been taken to an EPA holding facility on the Gold Coast.

EPA Wildlife Branch director Nick Rigby criticised the dumping of the freshwater crocodile 1300km south of its natural environment.

"The appearance of the animal strongly indicates that it has been held in captivity which means that it has either been deliberately dumped or escaped from captivity," he said.

"If this is a prank, it is in very poor taste, given recent tragic events."

Queensland authorities yesterday confirmed that remains found inside a crocodile were those of missing five-year-old Jeremy Doble.

A half-metre crocodile was also found in Bundaberg yesterday. An EPA spokesman said they only found out about the crocodile when a local resident captured it and brought it in.

I noticed the Journalist Error - - - - Greenback....LOL....get it... Its supposed to be Greenbank....

Saltwater crocs where at one time found down in the SE of QLD, I know that the burnett river used to have a good poulation. The crocs that are being found down there now are freshies. and my guess is that they are either kept as pets illegally and released once they outgrow the fishtank or they are picked up on or near the road up north by people meaning to keep them, (but after a few hours travelling with a croc in the car they may have the time to reconsider and just release them).... There have been freshies all over the place up here after the recent rain and people have been running them over on the roads...

possibly this croc is the one that was stolen from the bird sanctuary on the Gold Coast about 5 years ago. The size sorta matches.

im from bundaberg were the fresh water croc was found they have been here for years at the top of the burnett river . there have also been sightings at burrum heads -harvey bay , mary river -marybrough , and baffle creek this year for salt water crocs

im from bundaberg were the fresh water croc was found they have been here for years at the top of the burnett river . there have also been sightings at burrum heads -harvey bay , mary river -marybrough , and baffle creek this year for salt water crocs

Has always been stories of them in the Baffle and when you see it you will know why. it is an awsome river. Even seen a school of pop eyed mullet there and they are only found further north,so wouldnt doubt if they are in there.

Saltwater crocs where at one time found down in the SE of QLD, I know that the burnett river used to have a good poulation. The crocs that are being found down there now are freshies. and my guess is that they are either kept as pets illegally and released once they outgrow the fishtank or they are picked up on or near the road up north by people meaning to keep them, (but after a few hours travelling with a croc in the car they may have the time to reconsider and just release them).... There have been freshies all over the place up here after the recent rain and people have been running them over on the roads...

thats crazzii..i did not know that..i thought is was freshwaters that used to be at one time found around sth east qld naturally....what happened to the population of salties in sth east qld??

Thats sad!.to think they once were naturally found in sth eats qld...i hate that crap..i know salties can be dangerouse to man in populated areas,but still thats no excuse, and thats sad,i did not know that they even used to be found down that far,shows what mans capable of,i cant belive that..not cool!

Ok to clear some air here. Living in Hervey Bay and always traveling to fraser and having to do one of my big assignments on fraser! It is true and the records so that crocs have been shot over on fraser when they were logging the island! now this was back in the 1950's. Just recently at hervey bay a man has throught to see a croc up the burrum river and it would not surprise me if there is one up there! The croc that they throught was on fraser last year was actually a prank pulled! there has also been clams of crocs up the mary! Now it would not surprise me at all if there are crocs here in the bay and possibly lower then the bay becuase as the records show they have been here before! and with the water temp rising even that 1 degree the crocs will come down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back