Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
there not like thata good looking snake byem self n e way so i dont think the hatchlings would look bad.
and how much do u think they would go for? bout $180 or sumin?

Maybe the herp world needs to use papers like the dog breeders do

hmmm... so if it was a perfect world and no body lied.. we would all be fine with it? other than those hwo dislike their asthetics..

Well im not saying that is the reason for everyone =P but it would be my main reason for not liking them, id like to see things kept pure not some lucky dip of what your recieving. It would be the same with a dog, if you bought something being sold to you as purebred, it looks like a purebred but then afterwards you realise its not really a purebred wouldnt you be annoyed?

yea i guess if people tried to sell them as purebred but ii wouldn't but does n e one know how much theyd go for?

and problem another question that might anoy ppl but jus checking.
can u like cross breed pretty much any species of snakes?

This is interesting - I'd no idea so many people felt so passionately about this!

I personally can't see why you wouldn't cross two members of a species*, no matter how different they may have become over the years. It's not a "waste of genetics" at all. In fact I might even argue it encourages genetic variation in stocks that may become inbred after long enough in captivity - look at pedigree dogs and horses. There are breeds of horse within which it is almost impossible to find breeding partners tat aren't related in the past few generations because nobody ever bred out, to retain "purity" in the breed, to no advantange but having very pretty and very stupid horses.

I can't see a reason for people to be so violently against this, provided of course that cross-bred snakes are sold as what they are. Has anyone observed health problems in these snakes? Are they likely to be more aggressive? I'm just not seeing what there is to object to.

*By the traditional zoological definition, that a species is a group of animals which can produce viable offspring with one another.

yea i guess if people tried to sell them as purebred but ii wouldn't but does n e one know how much theyd go for?

Prob bit cheaper than your average spotted or childrens if you could find people that actually want one.

This is interesting - I'd no idea so many people felt so passionately about this!

I personally can't see why you wouldn't cross two members of a species*, no matter how different they may have become over the years. It's not a "waste of genetics" at all. In fact I might even argue it encourages genetic variation in stocks that may become inbred after long enough in captivity - look at pedigree dogs and horses. There are breeds of horse within which it is almost impossible to find breeding partners tat aren't related in the past few generations because nobody ever bred out, to retain "purity" in the breed, to no advantange but having very pretty and very stupid horses.

I can't see a reason for people to be so violently against this, provided of course that cross-bred snakes are sold as what they are. Has anyone observed health problems in these snakes? Are they likely to be more aggressive? I'm just not seeing what there is to object to.

*By the traditional zoological definition, that a species is a group of animals which can produce viable offspring with one another.

The difference between dogs etc is reptiles can pretty much be inbred without much problems and i believe its how alot of people develope morphs and albinos?

Anyways, i guess childrens x spotted in the long run isnt as bad as some of the Frankenstein's the US and Europe breed lol.

ok, kool thanks for all ya imputs... and yea the only thing wrong with it that i think would be if you sold them for what there not... nothing else wrong about it... so i might do it... depends...

1. I personally can't see why you wouldn't cross two members of a species*, no matter how different they may have become over the years. It's not a "waste of genetics" at all. In fact I might even argue it encourages genetic variation in stocks that may become inbred after long enough in captivity - look at pedigree dogs and horses. There are breeds of horse within which it is almost impossible to find breeding partners tat aren't related in the past few generations because nobody ever bred out, to retain "purity" in the breed, to no advantange but having very pretty and very stupid horses.

2. *By the traditional zoological definition, that a species is a group of animals which can produce viable offspring with one another.

Woah OK.. hold up. You've mixed this up a little.

1. Nobody here is arguing against crossing two members of a species. That isn't the issue. Crossing two membrs of a species is breeding one Antaresia childreni to another. No worries there. The problem here is that he wants to cross two snakes that are different species (i.e. A.childreni and A. stimsoni)

2. This is a very, very simplified version of what is the case. Check out the Carpet x Woma for example.. these are two completely different species, and apparently they produced viable offspring. Does this mean that carpets are in fact the same species as woma? (No)

Why not cross a cobra with a python and get mildly venomous snakes that like to hug their food?

and problem another question that might anoy ppl but jus checking.
can u like cross breed pretty much any species of snakes?

No, only closely related species. Personally, I am not a fan of hybrids, but each to their own I guess.

ok thx, so u cant cross like a bhp and a diamond? (not that i want to, just askin)

1. I was under the impression that most people regard spotteds, childrens and stimsons as three subspecies of anteresia? If they produce healthy, fertile offspring I can't see how you can make any other argument, really.

2. Well, most geneticists would probably disagree with you, though there are still arguments against cross-breeding. Dingoes and "dogs" produce mongrel pups are aggressive, stupid little monsters but they are still the same species under the tradition definition. Doesn't mean I agree with cross-breeding them :)

Jen: I'll tip my hat if the python survives the mating process! (jk)

Why not cross a cobra with a python and get mildly venomous snakes that like to hug their food?
Here that wouldn't work. Crossing two pythons is relatively easy, as they are superficially similair on the classification scale (i.e. Kingdom, Phylum,Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species). For example they may only differ from eachother at the Class level and below... Cobras and pythons differ from eachother somewhere way up the heirarchy like Order..

I didn't actually research that so the specifics are probably wrong

there not like thata good looking snake byem self n e way so i dont think the hatchlings would look bad.
and how much do u think they would go for? bout $180 or sumin?

You can pick up pure bred childrens for less then that. So you won't get even close to $180, unless you find some newbie that doesn't know what there doing. Or alternativly you could sell them to a petshop who will likely re-sell them as pure.

Dingoes and "dogs" produce mongrel pups are aggressive, stupid little monsters but they are still the same species under the tradition definition. Doesn't mean I agree with cross-breeding them :)

Dingos and dogs are actually the same species, Canis lupus. Dingos are Canis lupus dingo, dogs are Canis lupus familiaris.

It is not the same as a cross between two different species.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back