Crumple zones and who needs an air bag

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OzDAZ

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Way off topic for this site but food for thought, well it was for me at least... the old man sent these pics from Germany, taken on the side of on an Autobarn, and after doing quite a few +250Kph runs on both public roads (when I was young dumb and full of whatame callit) and drag strips now im older, on both bikes and cars,BUT these pic's really freaked me out, and all and sundry can say what they like about newer car safety, crumple zone, airbags and all that stuff but after seeing that id prefer to take my chances in my bulletproof 69' XW.

02k.sized.jpg

01k.sized.jpg

06k.sized.jpg

This was a BMW current model sedan after a 200+ runin with a tree,and you can keep you new car technologe with air bags crumple zones extera, im not sold, Also on a sadder note in a car park in the US 18 months age and airbag aploided in a minor cark park collision with a young mother driving with her 2 year old kid strapped in the front seat, due to the hight of the airbag, when it activated it decapidated the child and knocked his head out the car window and rolled down the street.
We really are getting to smart for our own good I be thinking.

OZ

Doesn't quite work that way Oz.
Even a ford or a holden (if they could get to 200kph that is :twisted:) would have been obliterated by a tree.

The airbag thingee is a major advance in safety when used appropriately (ie kids should NOT be in front seats) and I have seen cars in this sort of condition where the people have walked away BECAUSE of airbags. You see one picture like this and think that the newer safety items don't work but on the whole they work very well. Trust me I am often at the receiving end of this sort of accident and when we see what the wreckage was like then I want good seatbelts, airbags and headrests on my car everytime!

Cheers Hawkeye

Hey...arent the cars designed to break anyway??

Its a numbers game, in most accidents you are safer with airbags and seatbeats than without.
As for that photo, well , how fast was that guy going? All the safety devices in the world won't save you from extremely reckless driving.

Amazing how strong trees are aint it? Not one dent.

A horse dont leave Sh*t like that behind! giddyup!!!!! :D

Sure, this is an extreme example, however if you were driving into that tree n a metal crate you would have either cracked your head open on the dashboard or suffered serious whiplash, humans can not possibly sustain the forces produced by such a major impact and it is up to the crumple zones and air bags to increase your delta x (excuse my physicy terms) and decrease harm to YOUR body.

That way the car would still be in tact and his head would be missing :)

He shouldnt'a been driving at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back