Ctenotus Sp. And Dragons

Discussion in 'Reptile and Amphibian Identification' started by Erharst, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Erharst

Erharst New Member

Just finished a little herping trip to Australia, and being a first-time visitor to the continent, identification is not always straight forward. These guys puzzle me a little bit, so hopefully someone here can help me. All Photos are from the Litchfield area, NT.

Ctenotus sp. nr.1
    268.JPG
    274.JPG
    275.JPG

Ctenotus sp. nr.2, only got the back of this one
    276.JPG

Also have a couple of dragons. To me these seemed somewhat different from the Amphibolurus temporalis I was used to seeing, I may be wrong though.
    264.JPG
    284.JPG

Oshkii likes this.
  2. Bluetongue1

Bluetongue1 APS Veteran APS Veteran

Then dragon species are straight forward but the Ctenotus skinks are quite problematic. There are many similar species in the same area and patterning and colour is variable in some. Keys usually make use of specific head scales (numbers &/or arrangement), subdigital lamellae and mid-body scale counts. While I have some resources on the group, I have no field experience with them in this region – and that would be best. Nevertheless I can possibly narrow it down if you’d like me to try.

Dragon sp1 is Amphibolurus gilberti.
    The lack of an erectile crest of enlarged spines on the neck distinguish it from A. temporalis and the area of pale striping on the head is also more consistent with a. gilberti. This species behaves differently to A. temporalis, particularly in there being less arm-waving.

Dragon sp2 is Diporiphora lalliae.
    It is identifiable by the pronounced gular fold and the presence of both a post-auricular and scapular fold.

3. Erharst

Erharst New Member

Thanks for the help and the useful info!
    I realise that the Ctenotus skinks might be a bit of a challenge, but if you think you could narrow it down to a few species that would be greatly appreciated. Personally I have not been able to really find anything close to a match in the area, with the few resources I have

4. Bluetongue1

I have made a start on the Ctenotus but have not had much time this week - have been unwell and had other things to be done. There are twenty odd known species in that region and about half are possible contenders at a first look through.

There appears light patterning on the upper flanks of sp 2. Can remember what it looked like in more detail than the photo shows?

5. GBWhite

GBWhite Well-Known Member

Hi Erharst,

I was up in that area a couple of years back and I've attached a couple of links that you can reference. Just going off your pictures and what I saw up there I believe that the ctenotus are;

Hill's Ctenotus (sp 1)

http://www.arod.com.au/arod/reptilia/Squamata/Scincidae/Ctenotus/hilli

Stripped Skink (sp 2)

http://www.arod.com.au/arod/reptilia/Squamata/Scincidae/Ctenotus/robustus

I believe the two photos of the dragons are of an adult and juvenile of the same species

Arnhemland Two Lined Dragon.

http://www.arod.com.au/arod/reptilia/Squamata/Agamidae/Diporiphora/arnhemica

Cheers,

George.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  6. Bluetongue1

I have to agree with George on the dragons and that mine were wrong.