culling a severely deformed p vitticeps hatchling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thats so yuck! ...i don't get how people can feed one lizard to another i had a friend tell me that they did it once and i never looked at them the same again! maybe it's just me but when i had to put my baby lizard down a few years ago i went and got her put down by the vet then cried for a week then cremated her LOL

Atleast you're laughing at yourself now.

I don;t think this one was a pet. it was part of a clutch that Alex bred.

Do we have to go through this again? This has been discussed numerous times and freezing, drowning, and gassing of reptiles is just not on.
Green dream first option or otherwise it's blunt force

hammer to head then given to lacey she enjoyed him

U cant be serious??

U could have easily taken it to the vet and got it put down properly.

Dont keep reptiles if u cant be bothered paying to take it to the vet and atleast put the poor thing down humanely. That is just horrible.

Put it in a container and put a hose into it and also into the exhaust pipe on the car, it puts them to sleep, so i beleive no pain or anything, if you want it to be quicker make the container smaller
its the nicest way

U cant be serious??

Dont keep reptiles if u cant be bothered paying to take it to the vet and atleast put the poor thing down humanely. That is just horrible.

I hate to come across as insensetive but it was probably just one out of a clutch of 15-25 babies. It quite obviously wasn't going to survive, so why bother taking it to the vet and spending god-knows-how-much having it put down? There are several humane ways to euthanise an animal, and taking it to the vet is but one of them.

What about people who breed rodents for snake food - do you think they haul all their rats and mice off to the vet for a humane death? Erm, no - they do it themselves at home. I can't see how this is any different. Life isn't all rainbows and lollipops.

I hate to come across as insensetive but it was probably just one out of a clutch of 15-25 babies. It quite obviously wasn't going to survive, so why bother taking it to the vet and spending god-knows-how-much having it put down? There are several humane ways to euthanise an animal, and taking it to the vet is but one of them.

What about people who breed rodents for snake food - do you think they haul all their rats and mice off to the vet for a humane death? Erm, no - they do it themselves at home. I can't see how this is any different. Life isn't all rainbows and lollipops.

Well put.

Full3R said:
I dont agree with inhumanely killing any animals that includes rodents.

No, neither do I - my point was that a humane killing can be done at home, you don't need to cart the animal off to a vet.

I still stick to what i said. I dont mean to offend or anything but really it doesnt cost that much to go to the vet and I'm sure they will come up with the best way to put an animal down. A way that probably doesn't involve a hammer and a lace monitor.

Hitting it on the head with a hammer??? Come on.

Go ahead support it if u wish. I am just saying, its not right.

Oh i agree with you both,
Yes it can be done at home, But a hammer is deffinetly not the way
Theres humane ways to kill both reptiles and rodents,
Dry ice method is the best for Rodents and could even have been used on the little Dragon

True. There are humane ways to do it at home.

Its done now anyway.

I'm sure he knew what he was doing when he did it and i think its sad that someone keeping reptiles and breeding them could kill one this way then just feed it to another animal.

I think its cruel. Even if it was for a good reason it doesnt mean its the right thing to do (the hittingit over the head with a hammer thing).

I just cut their heads off with a stanley knife .. its pretty quick and about as painless as practical.

U cant be serious??

honestly taking it to the vet is just more time for it to suffer whereas placing it on a hard surface and giving a good solid hit to the head with a hammer is quick and humane. and why waste its body when i have a lacey which will enjoy it?:rolleyes:

fair be it for me to point out the obvious
But u stated that it appeared to be as happy as the rest of the hatchlings, and i presume they appeared to be in no pain themselves, so it wasnt suffering yet, a trip to the vet to have it put down wouldnt have caused it pain.
But again whats done is done
I dont agree with the hammer, dont mind doing it yourself, but there are better ways
but yes, stating the obvious

True. There are humane ways to do it at home.

Its done now anyway.

I'm sure he knew what he was doing when he did it and i think its sad that someone keeping reptiles and breeding them could kill one this way then just feed it to another animal.

I think its cruel. Even if it was for a good reason it doesnt mean its the right thing to do (the hittingit over the head with a hammer thing).
and it isnt cruel at all keeping it alive is cruel. ive already had to have one of my cats put down last night at the vet due to a blood clot which paralyzed him and not much hope of a cure and in severe pain and yes there would be so called do gooders who would let him live for their own benefit which is ridiculously selfish the simple fact is i always weigh up the situation and do the best thing for the animal rather than wasting time and making them suffer.the simple fact is this 3hour old lizard had no hope of a good quality of life if he did i would have kept him. basically he actually had a vent but it was twisted and open so he would have got an infection, he had no use of his back legs and would flip over and get stuck :(

fair be it for me to point out the obvious
But u stated that it appeared to be as happy as the rest of the hatchlings, and i presume they appeared to be in no pain themselves, so it wasnt suffering yet, a trip to the vet to have it put down wouldnt have caused it pain.
But again whats done is done
I dont agree with the hammer, dont mind doing it yourself, but there are better ways
but yes, stating the obvious
right:rolleyes: and what better way is there than instantly destroying its brain with a sharp blunt force?

honestly taking it to the vet is just more time for it to suffer whereas placing it on a hard surface and giving a good solid hit to the head with a hammer is quick and humane. and why waste its body when i have a lacey which will enjoy it?:rolleyes:

So u still think it was a good idea?

Well for future reference, if someone else finds themselves in such a situation and the best idea u can come up with is to hit it ovethe head with a hammer then pick it up n feed it to another one of your pets, i'd strongly suggest u take it to the vet and get a second opinion on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back