culling a severely deformed p vitticeps hatchling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
and it isnt cruel at all keeping it alive is cruel. ive already had to have one of my cats put down last night at the vet due to a blood clot which paralyzed him and not much hope of a cure and in severe pain and yes there would be so called do gooders who would let him live for their own benefit which is ridiculously selfish the simple fact is i always weigh up the situation and do the best thing for the animal rather than wasting time and making them suffer.the simple fact is this 3hour old lizard had no hope of a good quality of life if he did i would have kept him. basically he actually had a vent but it was twisted and open so he would have got an infection, he had no use of his back legs and would flip over and get stuck :(

What? U couldnt find a hammer to put the cat down???

You made a decission based on the benefits of the dragon, and i respect you for that, everyone sees things in different perspectives, I have no doubt that you love your animals, im sorry about your cat aswell, i to have had to go through a large quantity of losing cats, you chose a method you thought was painless quick and effective, I would have chosen a different way, but thats just cause i cant handle actually watching an animal die, plus the blood splatter would have made me alot worse off rather then letting it fall asleep, thats me, i respect you for your decission

So u still think it was a good idea?

Well for future reference, if someone else finds themselves in such a situation and the best idea u can come up with is to hit it ovethe head with a hammer then pick it up n feed it to another one of your pets, i'd strongly suggest u take it to the vet and get a second opinion on that.

I know for a fact that my vet would have absolutely no problem with it. And if he did his misses would tell him to harden up! (I hope they read this lol)

I feed live fish to my turtles. Does that make me a murderer?

I've hit rats, mice, guinea pigs and rabbits on the head with hammers (and some were sort of pets for a while) and then fed them to my snakes.

I've helped hand raise chickens, sheep, cows and pigs for over a year each, in some cases, then shot (or cut their heads off :lol:) them butchered them and eaten them. As long as it is humane why waste it?

What? U couldnt find a hammer to put the cat down???
i have more hammers than you can poke a stick at. i was more than happy to spend 3grand or whatever it took to get him better i originally thought hed just damaged his leg but the vet recommended euthanasia so i took that option because he was in so much distress and pain from his condition.:rolleyes:

Its an icky subject all round, but you gotta do what you gotta do. It is no different than having your old, sick horse shot then giving the body to the greyhound trainer. Harsh? Maybe but its done.

The fact that he fed it to his lacey has no relevance whatsoever. Once it was dead, who cares what happens to it's body? May as well give the lacey something to munch on. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to drink rainbow water from lollipop fountain and play with all the cute fuzzy wuzzy forest animals in Happyland :rolleyes:

i think it is humain just cutinng the snakes head off or smashing it with a hammer,its so quick the thing wont even know!

The fact that he fed it to his lacey has no relevance whatsoever. Once it was dead, who cares what happens to it's body? May as well give the lacey something to munch on. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to drink rainbow water from lollipop fountain and play with all the cute fuzzy wuzzy forest animals in Happyland :rolleyes:

Can i come too? Sounds like fun.

And its not the fact u put it down, its HOW u did it.

U said qupte "he can get around with his front legs and looks like a normal happy hatchling apart from his problems but the no vent problem will be his downfall" so i dont see the rush to wack it over the head with a hammer. From what u said its seems that it's 'suffering' could last a little longer, long enough to be put down HUMANELY (i say that so it would have given u more time to think about how is the best way to do it or perhaps research what humane means then think of the best way to do it) or taken to a vet if need be.

And yes i know that its not as bad as other ways it could have been done (some of which have been suggested on this thread) and i know u did itbecause u didnt want it to suffer.

But seriously, a hammer???????

Then u fed it to another lizard?

Could just be I'm more of a softie then u but the method u used just doesnt sound right to me...

hey i had to do it 2 weeks ago to the same thing vent stuck open had no tail and legs where strait had no movement it them at all, i used a brick but hammer would have worked just didnt feed him off i dont think its wrong its the best thing for the lizard

I guess you aren't aware of this ashs_dreams, but a swift blunt trauma to the head IS considered humane.

ashs_dreams said:
Then u fed it to another lizard?

So..?

What's next, you gonna tell us you feed your snakes on tofu rats? :)

And its not the fact u put it down, its HOW u did it.

U said qupte "he can get around with his front legs and looks like a normal happy hatchling apart from his problems but the no vent problem will be his downfall" so i dont see the rush to wack it over the head with a hammer. From what u said its seems that it's 'suffering' could last a little longer, long enough to be put down HUMANELY (i say that so it would have given u more time to think about how is the best way to do it or perhaps research what humane means then think of the best way to do it) or taken to a vet if need be.

It seems you are nit picking and grasping at the tiniest of straws to try and hold on to your futile argument!

Harden up! Destroying the animals brain instantly is pretty damn humane! As long as he wasn't a woos with the hammer and just tapped it. If he gave it a good old manly WHACK, the tiny cutesy wootsy little thing wouldn't have had any idea or suffered any pain at all.

It seems you are nit picking and grasping at the tiniest of straws to try and hold on to your futile argument!

Harden up! Destroying the animals brain instantly is pretty damn humane! As long as he wasn't a woos with the hammer and just tapped it. If he gave it a good old manly WHACK, the tiny cutesy wootsy little thing wouldn't have had any idea or suffered any pain at all.
and its not like a vets going to be able to work on something roughly 2mm in diameter and thats if they could even anaesthatise the lizard to do it.

Ok if it makes u happy then yes its a great thing to do.

Why not.

If u all think its a great thing to do it must be right, right?

Either that or your heads are so far up somewhere u dont even realise that your talking about hitting an animal over the head with a hammer then feeding it to another animal.

This wasnt meant to be an arguement but of course, on this site, if you write anything that someone doesnt agree with, thats all its going to turn into.

Have a great night.

Oh and yes, I still think its wrong.

Haha how funny. Yeah i believe rats come in plastic bags. Just like how i believe its fine to feed one pet to another.

Genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back