culling a severely deformed p vitticeps hatchling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I think ashs-dreams is entitled to her opinion as is every one else, whether you agree or not. Lets keep it nice. Personally, I am no good at killing but once the animal is dead, if it can be utilized as food for another animal then fine. I dont think anyone on this forum would deliberately cause pain to an animal.

shes probably one of them people who believe rats come frozen in plastic bags:rolleyes:

Mine do :)
Least from the pet shop they do

and I dont "kill off rats then feed them to my snakes" I buy them prekilled

My side of the arguement was that having the will to lift a hammer and strike it into another living things head is wrong, even more so when its your pet.

its just wrong its like
"aww this baby's legs dont work, im sorry Mrs. Gladstone, where gunna have to smash your baby's head with an oversized novelty hammer, DONT WORRY! it wont feel a thing, its brains destroyed instantly"

That's exactly what it is like Full3R... Heavy blunt trauma to the head (as in this case) is an exceptionally efficient and very humane way to kill something, especially if it is small. It feels absolutely nothing. It just sits there and then it is lights out. Once it is dead, why waste the body? Recycling is great.

Ash's dreams has got it wrong because she thinks smashing its head in isn't humane. It may be gross and harsh but it is very humane. You cannot argue with that.

In fact gassing it would have been worse for it, because it is like drowning in air. The animal can't breathe and panics then passes out.. It isn't exactly drifitng off for a nap.

Good on you Alex for doing the right thing.

re culling

My view is i dont favour freezing for culling it seems like slow suffering,a very quick blow to the head is best i believe and its instant lights out if they move after its just nerves,its the best way IMO.

My view is i dont favour freezing for culling it seems like slow suffering,a very quick blow to the head is best i believe and its instant lights out if they move after its just nerves,its the best way IMO.
exactly

That's exactly what it is like Full3R... Heavy blunt trauma to the head (as in this case) is an exceptionally efficient and very humane way to kill something, especially if it is small. It feels absolutely nothing. It just sits there and then it is lights out. Once it is dead, why waste the body? Recycling is great.

Ash's dreams has got it wrong because she thinks smashing its head in isn't humane. It may be gross and harsh but it is very humane. You cannot argue with that.

In fact gassing it would have been worse for it, because it is like drowning in air. The animal can't breathe and panics then passes out.. It isn't exactly drifitng off for a nap.

Good on you Alex for doing the right thing.

Ok, my angle has sort of shifted, I agree having its brain shut off instantly is good, but im still gunna say, I myself could never do it.

and i thought using the dry ice method wouldn't be like u describe as making the animal panic,
all i've ever heard about it was they they fall asleep in seconds

To be fair I've never gassed anything so I haven't seen it. But it works by replacing oxygen in the blood, and preventing the oxygen binding to the haemoglobin. So wouldn't it feel like running out of air? Either blunt trauma is faster.

At the risk of being attacked, why is gasing ok for rodents but not reptiles? If it is like "drowning in air " then why do it at all?:? I dont mean to deliberately fire anyone up but if I dont ask, I wont learn.

Again - i've heard it was like going to sleep

I've never killed anything myself
Well obviously when i was a kid ants and little things i step on, an probably ate

but not a mammal, reptiles etc

At the risk of being attacked, why is gasing ok for rodents but not reptiles? If it is like "drowning in air " then why do it at all?:? I dont mean to deliberately fire anyone up but if I dont ask, I wont learn.

I recall something like this coming up before

and an answer like

"rodents are easy to replace and readily breed"

Which really doesnt answer then question
but I feel the same way, its curel in all ways
if drowning in air be the case of this method

because its one of the accepted methods by the rspca the other 2 from memory are cervical dislocation and blunt force trauma to the head.

but her question is why was it alright to do it to rodents but not reptiles
what sets them apart in the culling sense?

but her question is why was it alright to do it to rodents but not reptiles
what sets them apart in the culling sense?
nothing really i just prefer the quick instant option

fair enough, sorry if throughout this thread if it seemed like i was trying to attack you and make you out as bad person btw, never meant that intension if thats how i came across

Accepted doesnt mean its right tho. I personally would go for blunt force but I dont have the confidence that I could do it right the first time. I was going to breed my own rodents but I'm not so sure now. I'm so confused!!!!:?

Reptiles can go prolonged periods on very small amounts of oxygen, so drowning or gassing is especially cruel. As is freezing

Put it in a container and put a hose into it and also into the exhaust pipe on the car, it puts them to sleep, so i beleive no pain or anything, if you want it to be quicker make the container smaller
its the nicest way

Have you ever sucked on car exhaust? Its very unpleasant. Essentially the animal will have to breathe the painful fumes until they absorb enough carbon monoxide to become hypoxic and become unconscious. This is possibly the cruelest way to kill an animal mentioned so far in this whole thread.

Accepted doesnt mean its right tho. I personally would go for blunt force but I dont have the confidence that I could do it right the first time. I was going to breed my own rodents but I'm not so sure now. I'm so confused!!!!:?
its easily done if your unsure about hitting the right spot use a hammer or object bigger than their head and with a hard single blow crush the whole lot and their dead instantly or for rodents use cervical dislocation

There are lots of myths out there about different euthnasia methods - maybe the admins could get someone to add a bit of an evidence-based outline into the Wiki explaining the methods and rationale behind each option.

Well i wasnt aware of this
Sucking on exhuast pipes isnt one of my frequent hobbies
All i've known is that its a way of commiting suicide coz it justs puts you to sleep
mcuh like a certain uncle did many years ago
and its a thing i've heard around for years that people used to put down injured animals
I have never tried it, just been told it was painless, as was the dry ice method, i didnt know the awful truth
I was wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back