Culling - Or second chance

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bellany

Reaction score
I know I've put up a WTB thread and an info thread already, but I'm just putting in the general forum, who would be willing to stop culling and to relocate to possible me? Pm instead of main thread if you prefer !?

I'm not sure how it's a "second chance" though

I'm a massive softie and would highly avoid culling anything where possible and ethical.

But keeping alive an unattractive or superficially deformed animal, is different to keeping alive an animal without a maximised life quality.

If it were puppies with massive issues, severe neurological issues for example (not a jag dig, just an example of a birth defect), people would put it to rest. Only the owner would be getting pleasure from its life.

Why don't you just put an ad to the "wanted" column instead of spinning two threads on the same topic?

Because one was for information, and I don't know how many people look in the WTB for something like this, its not like they have something to 'sell' hence why they probly wouldnt think of WTB section when they are going to cull something. And in my information thread I put out there that I respect anyone who decides it has no quality of life, etc, and is better off dead, but if someone wants to cull if because of its kink, colour, pattern or because its a little neuro then can't someone else give it a good home? And I don't think anyone should cull a creature just because its 'unattractive' vamp? If it were cosher (sp?) to cull off unnatractive animals, believe me I could think of a few ugly people out there !

Because one was for information, and I don't know how many people look in the WTB for something like this, its not like they have something to 'sell' hence why they probly wouldnt think of WTB section when they are going to cull something. And in my information thread I put out there that I respect anyone who decides it has no quality of life, etc, and is better off dead, but if someone wants to cull if because of its kink, colour, pattern or because its a little neuro then can't someone else give it a good home? And I don't think anyone should cull a creature just because its 'unattractive' vamp? If it were cosher (sp?) to cull off unnatractive animals, believe me I could think of a few ugly people out there !

I think you need to re-read my post.

I didn't say you should cull unattractive animals. I said the complete opposite, in fact.

people whom cant sell look in the wanted section if anyones after them,or may offer them in the freebies section,if u are after freebies thats the section to do it,also it worrys me when folk are after freebies,have to wonder if there set up to look after these freebies,culling would be more humane than giving away to folk who arent set up for any offerings in the first place

have u got cages set up for these hand outs?

have u got food to feed these handouts?

do u have other pythons?

have u got experience in feeding non feeders?

will u seperate new animals in case of disease?

are you willing to go to the vet if they are sick,or neuro issues develop more in them

its all good offering to take them,but a bit average if its just for free snakes and u dont have means to cater for them

Last edited:
people whom cant sell look in the wanted section if anyones after them,or may offer them in the freebies section,if u are after freebies thats the section to do it,also it worrys me when folk are after freebies,have to wonder if there set up to look after these freebies,culling would be more humane than giving away to folk who arent set up for any offerings in the first place

have u got cages set up for these hand outs?

have u got food to feed these handouts?

do u have other pythons?

have u got experience in feeding non feeders?

will u seperate new animals in case of disease?

are you willing to go to the vet if they are sick,or neuro issues develop more in them

its all good offering to take them,but a bit average if its just for free snakes and u dont have means to cater for them

Like any python owner I believe Bellany (correct me if i am wrong bellany), that she wouldnt accept or even ask for a snake if she didn't have the means to care, feed, and house the animals, or take it to the vet if needed. That is just silly isnt it. I would be taking offense if someone asked me this. She doesnt just want a free snake.

Not butting into this discussion and sorry for kind of answering bellany's question for you richardsc, but give someone the benefit of believing they are trying to do the nice thing for a animal that someone dousnt think is good enough (even if it is found to be suffering in the end and has to be put down). Of course she can look after it. Otherwise she wouldnt be asking to look after it.

AHGH

mate,i dont know them,i didnt go to asumption college,so i never assume

i think its a fine to ask that to,cheap reptiles are often neglected,if it dies ill just get another one

all fine and dandy asking for freebies,but is it humane to get them,when u arent set up for them,is it wise,especially if u have pythons allready to be accepting snakes of different sources into ones collection

plenty of folk dont look after stuff they pay for,let alone freebies,wouldnt you want to know your animals were going to be looked after

you havnt answered my question at all mate,you even asked her the question in your reply to me,lol

mate,i dont know them,i didnt go to asumption college,so i never assume

,lol

Where is this Assumption College? I think you just made that up.

Oh and Bellany I have a stunning little Jungle that has a slight kink and can occasionally cause constipation. I have accepted him as a lifer but if you want him (it's a big responsibility) you can have him. you will need to pm etc.

Of course she can look after it. Otherwise she wouldnt be asking to look after it.

if it is said then it must be true !!!!!!!! wow

I'm not sure how it's a "second chance" though

I'm a massive softie and would highly avoid culling anything where possible and ethical.

But keeping alive an unattractive or superficially deformed animal, is different to keeping alive an animal without a maximised life quality.

If it were puppies with massive issues, severe neurological issues for example (not a jag dig, just an example of a birth defect), people would put it to rest. Only the owner would be getting pleasure from its life.

Sorry what i read from that is that you are saying "keeping alive an unattractive animal is different to keeping alive an animal without maximised life quality.
Let me just say from what i think there I'm not that attractive but my quality of life is fine?
Please correct me if I'm wrong but it reads to me that if its unattractive it wouldn't have a maximimum life quality ?

Oh and Bellany I have a stunning little Jungle that has a slight kink and can occasionally cause constipation. I have accepted him as a lifer but if you want him (it's a big responsibility) you can have him. you will need to pm etc.

A lifer hey... well honoured !!!!!! & that is exactly what happens they get passed around until someone breeds from them....... please dont take offence by what I say either this is an open forum.

Sigh. 'keeping alive an unattractive or superficially deformed animal, is different to keeping alive an animal without a maximised life quality.' She's saying keeping an animal that was ugly or had a non-affecting deformity would be ok, keeping one severley affected by an issue would not.

Sigh. 'keeping alive an unattractive or superficially deformed animal, is different to keeping alive an animal without a maximised life quality.' She's saying keeping an animal that was ugly or had a non-affecting deformity would be ok, keeping one severley affected by an issue would not.

always a touchy subject that will split people...... & that is why when a thread is made you'll get both sides of the coin...... that is why probs best to be in the classified.

I absolutely wouldnt take any special needs animal on if I didn't have the housing for it, as I am trying to give the critter not just 'a life' but a good one too. Believe me I'm not after free animals, as taking on a special needs animal would inevitably end up costing more than a healthy one (healthy ones still cost too), as I would have to take it to the vet etc. I am trying to give doomed creatures a home and better life, and see snakes as animals and 'pets' (tho this word is contriversial aswell?), and I'm finding a fair bit that snakes are a business for alot of people, I wonder what the response would be if i put a thread up saying 'ill take all your freezer snakes for cash?'

And if ANYONE wants to question my doing this, please pop round to my 'free animal' ark. I currently have a galah that was hit by a car, two lorikeets - one cat attack complete with antibiotics and one crow plucked, a bluey from dog attack, six fig bird babies who came to me bald and have in the past month released over fifty birds into the wild. These all came to me from the local vet, I am a licenced wildlife carer, and every single animal has the appropriate quarrentined housing, heating and correct food. And if there's medication, most times the vet is good, but if he wants to gas it because it costs too much, I pay for it. Let me tell you it was very rewarding seeing my little diamond dove fly away after it cost me $20 to medicate it.

I don't mind any critics who think I'm after free stuff, but please ask me first before you assume. And please stay up all night with me when I get my next pink mammal in after the mother was shot with a cross bow.

Python, glad to see that after this long I finally get someone who wants to be sarcastic 'sigh'. Yes, I misread, sorry to vamp but sigh? really? I've been really impressed with everyone's maturity on this subject, but I misread one quote and pfft !

I think everyone knows what my standing on this is and what the conditions would be to taking an animal, not just for me, but anyone else who feels the same. So as long as everyone knows and maybe thinks after this that if the snake isnt too bad in whatever its signs or symptoms are they might entertain putting a thread up and asking someone if they want a freezer snake. Who knows they might feel a little fuzzy after some grateful competant and able person takes it and touches base with them so that they know they made the right choice.

Last edited:
kam,u didnt obviously go to assumption college either,so shouldnt assume it doesnt exist,lol

its in victoria,google it,i think if memory serves me correctly its in geelong,i cant assume that though,as i myself never attended school there,lol

bellany,im not saying you in general,im just talking in general,people in general,lets just say i parked my car at a shopping centre,left the doors unlocked,and put a hundred dollar note on the dash in plain site,some folk would see and walk past it,others would grab it,different types of people

its the same with keeping snakes,even ones that are paid for

Last edited:
Would you breed from these freebies and if you did would you sell the offspring.
i personally have a lot of freebies in my collection and do not sell any of there offspring as I believe it is breaking trust of original breeder who is doing it professionally and as a means of income.

Probs Bellany you shouldn't assume that people have read your posts on the
other threads re culling which is leading them to question your ethics.

You need to re explain your motives and the fact you have no intent to breed them

There is Assumption college in Kilmore, Victoria.

Just for the record I have a tiger, willing to take on any unwanted hatchies.
malealbandtigerjungle011.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back