Curiosity spiked about Incubation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amynickid

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Okay just a a curious question about what people prefer, natural incubation by the mother or artificial incubation? I do know that it is better for AI as everything is well controlled and well NI is all just chance. I just wanted personal opinions as next season I am hoping to breed. Cheers

AI has a higher success rate and allows better/quicker recovery for the dam.

i have never bred pythons or any reptile where the mother incubated the egg herself but saying that i prefer artificial high hatch rate plus you can control the temperatures better then if the mother did.

For specific breeding purposes(commercial/gene project ect.) AI is a must for desired results. NI I see more these days as a home naturalist type thing...

You can have just as high a hatch rate from NI as from AI from my experiences, but I prefer AI as you can start the Dam feeding earlier and put her weight back on quicker with AI.

Artificial in general for the mother's health and a higher (usually) success rate for hatchlings. Maternal incubation isn't as easy as it sounds either, since you need to provide everything she needs. She may want it hotter than where she could lay, etc.

The only maternal incubation that I have seen was in pretty poor conditions and 21 out of 22 hatched and were healthy. If you don't intend on breeding the following year this is fine but you wish to breed the following year then artificial incubation is best so you can get the female feeding earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back