curiosity

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am wondering if it is illigal to carry a snake on my persons in qld. i cant find anything stating so.

First of all the snake needs to be legally owned. Then it needs to have a legal reason for being wherever it is. There are commercial licenses which allow you to do various things including taking snakes to schools for education, etc. If you don't have such a license (which you obviously don't or you wouldn't be asking the question), you either have no license in which case the only possible way you could be holding a snake in any situation would be with the permission of the license holder in which case you can ask them, or under a private wildlife license.

A private wildlife license lets you hold a snake at your own private residence, or off that property only for the purpose of it being transferred to a new address (if you are moving home or if the snake is being transferred to a new person on a new license) or if it is being taken to or from a vet.

It is illegal to take a privately licensed snake off your own licensed property for any other reason. These conditions are explained in the wildlife licensing documentation, which can be found online.

thanks mate. i hold a rwl licence just wasnt sure on the law with me walking down the servo with one on my neck

If you read the conditions of your license (which is probably a good idea) it does clearly tell you what you can and can't do. Unless it's changing registered address or going to or from a vet, you can't take it off your property. If you do take it out in public and someone decides to dob you in, you're probably going to get a fine, and if you do it multiple times the penalties will get worse. Sometimes there's a fine line between positive education of the public and counterproductively scaring people, but popping your snake around your shoulders and waltzing down to the local servo would just make you an attention-seeking wanker who will cause problems for our community, both in terms of our public image and our legal rights as licensed reptile keepers; whenever people break the rules we end up with more strict conditions on our licenses.

Latest posts

Back