At the risk of taking the thread slightly off topic, I would also suggest those who have a higher risk of snakebite such as snake catchers, elapid keepers etc familiarise themselves with the protocols for the medical treatment of snakebites. There have been 2 instances at my local hospital where these protocols have not been followed. In the first case the doctors just removed the PIB from an asymptomatic patient without taking blood urine or swabbing the bite site and instead of removing it slowly and progressively whilst monitoring for onset of any symptoms. Fortunately the patient had not been envenomated. In the second case a local catcher got scratched by the tiny fang of a juvie EB. The PIB was applied and she went to hospital again displaying no symptoms. This time the bite site was swabbed by cutting a hole in the bandage and the SVDK indicated the venom was of Brown Snake immunotype. At this point she was still completely symptomatic yet the doctor was about to give her a dose of antivenom until nurses and others intervened. I don't blame the doctors as such as when you consider how many doctors there are and how few patients actually require antivenom treatment I think you would be lucky if you presented to a doctor who had treated an envenomation in the last couple of years. Having said that if they don't know or are unsure they should refer to their health districts protocol. I have mentioned this on previous occasions but as a snake catcher I carry with me a laminated card with first aid on one side and medical treatment on the other. information on medical treatment is available on the AVRU website.